What's new
What's new

US Artillery Ammunition Production

You can’t just divide frontage like that, that’s not how artillery is applied tactically. Mass and concentration are principles of the defense.
Of course you're right, but that doesn't change the overall picture. That could be 13.2 shots per day for 44 square miles, or 19.8 shots for 66 square miles.
The radius of destruction of the most super-high-precision projectile does not exceed the radius of destruction of an ordinary projectile of the same caliber with the same explosive - because in the volume of Excalibur part of the space is occupied by the "brain". Shooting 5 shots a day instead of 20 in 66 square miles, the maximum number of hits you can get is 5. Not 8, not 15, but 5. And that's not a lot - it's catastrophically low.
Excalibur is a beautiful thing, but wars are not won by snipers, they are won by machine gunners.

Those videos are clearly faked, there is no way a drone that small is carrying a warhead that big. If you want a drone that can fly FPV for 10km holding 5lbs you're going to be spending $2k. I've got a little racing drone that was $500 and would struggle with a 1lb grenade.
Agree, those are not $50 toy drones, but take a look at the video from this page at around the 1:47 mark: https://hungarytoday.hu/meanwhile-t...vented-fastest-beer-home-delivery-ever-85074/

I recently got a tour of a military drone component manufacturer. I don't think I can say a lot about the things I saw and heard, but it was certainly an educational experience.

We have some pretty fancy drone stuff. Very powerful and long range. The military is telling suppliers to prepare for large orders by 2024.

We have some pretty fancy drone stuff. Very powerful and long range. The military is telling suppliers to prepare for large orders by 2024.
Hope they're ready. Also hope we have the chip production capacity here to make the guidance and control electronics, I sorta doubt we'll be getting them from China when the time comes to use them.

Somehow I also see chain link fence production going up - a first line of protection against combatant drones...

I recently got a tour of a military drone component manufacturer. I don't think I can say a lot about the things I saw and heard, but it was certainly an educational experience.

'2024' you say........Should be interesting.
Current 'leader of the free world' is in Ukraine giving a rundown of support for the NATO/EU/Russian War. Says there will be great sacrifice in the days, weeks, and years ahead.
Probably gonna be a whole lot of overtime at the drone and arty shell plant.
It's Deja Vu...all over again.

Short video showing making some 155 shells, red hot steel, forging and finishing all shown. Some nice footage but very short....Pretty much the same story as the CNN link above but with video.

Short video showing making some 155 shells, red hot steel, forging and finishing all shown. Some nice footage but very short....Pretty much the same story as the CNN link above but with video.
Watch that vid...kinda of interesting the integration of robots/automation but still requiring a lot of hands on labor. As someone else mentioned the cave like interior is trip back in time-
The numbers they give means that plant alone won't be able to supply the number of artillery rounds being expended.
In the case of the EU/Russo/Ukraine war itould seem more efficient transport wise to be increasing production in EU/NATO facilities, and with our Pacific allies in case of a need responding to China.
Wonder if there has been any impact on steel supply chain and prices?

It is very interesting what capabilities China has for the production of shells. There is a possibility (albeit a low probability) that President Xi will decide to help out a bit. :angry:

Good focus on the manufacturing of these shells. I do believe that Time Magazine was the one to write the main piece on this though.

here;https://time.com/6252541/inside-the-us-army-plant-making-artillery-shells-for-ukraine/

It is a very good article and the factory is run by private company/‘s. Not just left for the government to run which tends to be less than ideal.
The part that really sucks is that after giving away more than 1 million shells most if not all of the new production is going to Youkraine rather than replenishing our depleted stockpiles. It seems there is NOTHING that won't be sacrificed for their pet project including our own national defense.

The part that really sucks is that after giving away more than 1 million shells most if not all of the new production is going to Youkraine rather than replenishing our depleted stockpiles. It seems there is NOTHING that won't be sacrificed for their pet project including our own national defense.
Lord, give me strength. And the wisdom to know that some folks just can't be reached...

The part that really sucks is that after giving away more than 1 million shells most if not all of the new production is going to Youkraine rather than replenishing our depleted stockpiles
Do you know what the real stocks of shells are in the US army? I very, very much doubt that Ukraine is being given anything that will tangibly weaken the combat capability of the United States.

I bet, if they asked nicely. Ukraine would be willing to help out Moldova and get rid of their supply of old ammunition that is a fire/explosion hazard. Probably have to kick out a few thousand russian "guards" who are currently saving it from accidentally exploding in underground warehouses.

Bill D

I have read that about 75% of old soviet and russian artillery shells do not explode in the air as designed but have to hit the ground before exploding. This vastly reduces the kill zone.
When Mare Island navy base was shut down they had vast stocks of old ammunition to be gotten rid of. Stuff too old or sizes no longer used. My brother said for several monthss he heard them firing off a few big shells every minute for eight hours a day. Minus lunch break. Cheaper then paying to haul it somewhere for EPA approved disposal.
Bill D

Do you know what the real stocks of shells are in the US army? I very, very much doubt that Ukraine is being given anything that will tangibly weaken the combat capability of the United States.
Not according to the experts.

"as Ukraine drains stocks"

Maintaining "minimum levels" is very risky re the combat capability of the United States. As we have seen in Ukraine artillery shells get used up fast during close-in conflicts.

Maintaining "minimum levels" is very risky re the combat capability of the United States. As we have seen in Ukraine artillery shells get used up fast during close-in conflicts.

Two things this country needs desperately - conventional munitions, and a "small/cheap drone" industry. Small drones are going to be more and more critical to battlefield success in the next (current) wars, as well as defenses against them.

Which might just be plain 'ol chain link fence, but we'll need a lot to prevent swarms busting in.

Back