What's new
What's new

US flat: what spindle power for a home hobbiest?

alesis7262

Plastic
I'm going to be stepping down from big Haas machines to an in home CNC machine that I'm going to build, but am worried that I'm going to spend all this money, and the flat doesn't even supply that much power(in US, probably a flat)

I'm seeing 1.5Kw for max fuse loads on the internet, but I can't even cut steel with that if I account for the other stepper motors!
Is 1.5kw actually the limit? Or can a power supply fix that problem? Preferably, I still want to be working with 12mm bits to clear steel, albeit, slower.

Looking to build a 5 axis machine, thanks!!

I think a flat is what we in the US call an apartment. A lot depends on how old the building is. Some older apartments have very little power and use a gas stove and heat, cooling, and hot water is supplied by a common source in the basement. Some newer apartments have electric stoves, heat pumps, and their own water heater so they have 150 to 200 Amp panels. I doubt however other tenants would be happy with you milling steel in your unit.

If you mean a separate house or townhouse then again it depends how old the building is of if it has had a heavy up. Modern homes or those that have had a heavy up will have 200 Amp service. Old house may have only 60 to 150 Amp service.

If you are planning to take heavy cuts with a 12mm bit you'll need more than a typical USA 120v circuit.

However, electric stoves and full size clothes dryers use 240v outlets, usually at 50 amps and 30 amps respectively. If the use a plug connection you could "borrow" the outlet from time to time.

If you are planning to take heavy cuts with a 12mm bit you'll need more than a typical USA 120v circuit.

However, electric stoves and full size clothes dryers use 240v outlets, usually at 50 amps and 30 amps respectively. If the use a plug connection you could "borrow" the outlet from time to time.
Thanks!

But so I'm guessing if I want to use a normal outlet, I should stick to 1.5kw?

But so I'm guessing if I want to use a normal outlet, I should stick to 1.5kw?
A well-built house or apartment might have 20A 120V "normal" outlets, but most residential construction has 15A 120V "normal" outlets, and older or cutrate construction will frequently have issues supplying the full 15A. For example, it is common for devices like office laser printers (which draw a lot of current when they first turn on) to cause household lights to dim in older houses. Also, it can be very surprising how many lights and outlets are wired to the same circuit, so this may place some limits on which outlets you can use.
So, yes, assume 1500W is your upper limit and expect that older, cheaper apartments may have some issues supplying that much.

Just to make sure you're aware, this is going to be a very long and expensive project, with lots of little gotcha's. If you want to have a machine to use, just buy a machine; you'll be much better off, spend way less money, and have something that works. If you want to build a machine for the experience of building it, then go right ahead.

The code requires all new apartments (or houses) to have two 20 Amp circuits in the kitchen. Therefore with a heavy duty extension cord you could have a 2.4kw at your disposal.

As stated above, check out cnc zone for DIY builds/guides.

I once entertained the idea of building my own 2 axis trunion. To get ok results and use decent components, it was around 10-13k if I recall.

Then you crack open Moore’s book and realize that to make a decent piece of equipment, it takes a good amount of engineering design, heat treating, grinding and inspection capabilities.

If you want 5 axis, get a used HaasTR160 rotary and build around it, but you will find that it’s just cheaper to buy than build, but if you’re in an apartment, maybe this is all you can run:

8C5F8A13-3B45-4F29-AF31-CAD4374529BD.jpeg

As stated above, check out cnc zone for DIY builds/guides.

I once entertained the idea of building my own 2 axis trunion. To get ok results and use decent components, it was around 10-13k if I recall.

Then you crack open Moore’s book and realize that to make a decent piece of equipment, it takes a good amount of engineering design, heat treating, grinding and inspection capabilities.

If you want 5 axis, get a used HaasTR160 rotary and build around it, but you will find that it’s just cheaper to buy than build, but if you’re in an apartment, maybe this is all you can run:

View attachment 380558
I'll be honest.

I just want to machine the physical parts of the CNC. I would really love it if there's just a kit that has all the stepper motors, controller and spindle, and I just make the metal parts....

Is there one?

Again, a home CNC forum will be a much better place for answers to questions like this.
yeah, but tbh, I'm more interested in machining the CNC than the electrical parts of a CNC, so that's why it's why the thread is here.... but maybe not then

yeah, but tbh, I'm more interested in machining the CNC than the electrical parts of a CNC, so that's why it's why the thread is here.... but maybe not then
Home grade machine construction is not covered much here. You’ll find almost all suggestions will be to build heavier and more accurately than what you are capable of. Home shop or hobby machining forums will be more helpful.

I've seen references on EV sites to a device that allows you to share a 240v dryer outlet in order to charge an EV. They refer to an "EV - PowerShare" but when I go to the site they want you to login which is bizarre for somebody supposedly selling a product. I note that it says "Follow our progress?" at the bottom of the page so I suspect they are still in development.

For the OP's application I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to rig up a switch box using a 240v contactor, low-voltage control relay, and small step down transformer (240v to 24 or 48v).

The low control voltage would allow safely using a remote switch. I've built many small 120v switch boxes using 24v to a 1/4" phone jack where I can plug in a remote switch (push on/push off) with cable.

Back