What's new
What's new

US General Toolbox

Lodge12345

Plastic
Looking for feedback on the US General 34" Full Bank Service Cart for industrial use. Anyone use one currently or have before? How's the mobility fully loaded? Hard to move around? Do the casters hold up? I work in a large industrial plant with uneven concrete floors with some potholes. Need something with decent amount of storage but also fairly easy to move around loaded with tools.1000009941.jpg

Just looking at the pictures, the wheels seem too small for 'uneven concrete floors with some potholes." And the height to wheel spread ratio looks like it would be easy to tip over when it hits a hole. I would look for a model with bigger wheels and be sure to concentrate most of the the weight in the lower drawers. I prefer a solid top that can have a good vise attached instead of that hinged top.

Larry

Last edited:
I just bought a 27” US General for my home shop. It’s way better than the 1984 Craftsman that it replaced or my early 2000s Husky, but I’d be worried about the casters holding up rolling fully loaded on rough concrete.

What about the HF Ikon series? That’s supposed to be their heavier duty version.

For rough floors,build your own with a central axle with pneumatics from a bag trolley ,and central swivel castors either end to steady it ............Id suggest you buy two new tubes for the tyres ,the Chinee ones will leak down in a few days. Incidentally the trolleys are fantastic value at around $25 ,I used to buy them by the dozens to repurpose at the sandblastrs ..............A Graco trolley with pneumatics is around $1000 list ,build one from a $25 bag trolley.

For rough floors,build your own with a central axle with pneumatics from a bag trolley ,and central swivel castors either end to steady it ............Id suggest you buy two new tubes for the tyres ,the Chinee ones will leak down in a few days. Incidentally the trolleys are fantastic value at around $25 ,I used to buy them by the dozens to repurpose at the sandblastrs ..............A Graco trolley with pneumatics is around $1000 list ,build one from a $25 bag trolley.
+ 1 on what he said.

A coworker at my last day job had one.
It it well enough for him.
It was loaded with mostly hand tools and light supplies, so he had no issue.

Maintenance at work uses a similar cart...they load them to the gills with whatever they want. They seem to hold up very well actually. Plant is large and has multiple buildings so they go over concrete and asphalt constantly. And being Maintenance they are not easy on things lol.

I have 4 us general boxes, two are very old and have never had an issue despite not being treated well. I have a newer 56" as my main box and its been fine, also have the 5 drawer service cart with zero issues. Worst case scenario is that the casters fail from rolling it around daily and you put some nicer ones on but I trust their boxes

Absolutely agree with re-fitting pneumatic-tired casters.

I will suggest taking a look at wheeled Knaack (sp?) drawer cabinet / boxes. We found them to hold up better than rolling toolboxes to worldwide shipment. Not very pretty though.

I bought one and have it loaded with HBM tooling and fixturing. Sturdy and I like the larger drawers. It is like a Lista with wheels. Mine just stays against the wall so not sure about how well it would roll around.

How I wish I spoke Australian! :-)

The term 'bag trolley' comes up undefined at my end. Google thinks it's a rolling suitcase.

Like all things Horrible Fright the same item with same stock number may not be the same as it was several years ago. buyer beware.
B ill D

A couple years back I bought the 56" top & bottom box from HF . I did have some bearings come out of one of the slides , not really a issue though I plan to order some replacement slides . The little plastic latch that ya have to slide over to open the drawers will break . I'm fine with that , they were kinda a pain in the ass . I had ordered one of the boxes at Homedepot but then I saw on ein person & a bunch of the drawers were only like 1.5" tall , what the hell can ya put in those if theres like 7 of them ? The other thing I really liked bout the HF box is it has a solid bottom so theres no way for critters to get in & nest unless ya leave a drawer open . Another plus is that the larger drawers have 2 slides per side . Would I buy another HF box sure . I'm actually lookin at one of the 4 or 5 drawer mechanics cart smaller service . Be nice to have certain things at my easy reach when Im working on something . Thats what duplicate tools are for .
good luck
animal

I have one of those and love it. 24" deep is very handy. Can't help you with the rollers though - I took them off and it sits on the floor.

It has a 200lb weight capacity per drawer - not a Lista, but works well for me.

I had a large Kennedy box with an add-on box. Removed the original casters and mounted all of it on a 1/2" aluminum plate with 8" hard rubber tires and casters. No air filled tires for me, don't like flats.

JC

Of my eight or so roll around tool boxes, two are from HF. I've been pleasantly surprised by their quality. General box and drawer construction is solid.

Their weak spot is the casters. I ended up replacing the ones on the HF box that I roll around the most, and have now been satisfied. The other one stays stationary most of the time so the casters are not a big issue.

I'd buy another one w/o hesitation, and replace the casters with higher quality ones (not from HF).

Back