What's new
What's new

Used Bridgeport vs. new Jet, TurnPro, Grizzly, Enco, etc.

seafarer

Plastic
Hi folks,
Long time reader, first time posting. I have gained a lot of info from this forum so thanks to all of you.
I'm in a position where I need to upgrade my current benchtop mill for a full size machine. I've been looking at both new and used machines. The upside to a new machine is the chance of it being abused/worn is pretty slim. cost wise seems to be in the $8-12k range. Used I've been seeing Bridgeports for $4-9k.
New I can order online and have it delivered. Used I have to make the journey to check it out and if bought, find a way to get it back to the shop. Also time spent checking out machine(s).
I've gotten to the point where I've overthought this and stuck in my tracks so I thought I'd reach out to all of you for some feedback.
Thanks in advance,
Seafarer

RH68

Cast Iron
With that budget you can buy a nice used Fadal VMC and be light years ahead of a knee mill. If you really want a new knee mill I’d suggest a Lagun over a Bport.

Illinoyance

Stainless
About 12 yr. ago I needed to purchase a full sized mill. I was planning on buying a used Bridgeport. After looking at the price and condition of the used BPs I decided to buy a new Sharp mill. I never regretted the purchase.

AdamC

Cast Iron
I get the thought process as applied to a lathe, but a mill? A manual mill? Maybe I'm off base, but I don't think wear affects mills in the same way it affects lathes.

There are so many decent BPs out there so cheap, I don't get why one would chose a new Chinese or Taiwan tool. I bought my BP for $500. It looks just like these:
1 HP BRIDGEPORT MILL 5″ QUILL TRAVEL R-8 TAPER 42″ x 9″ TABLE 8 SPEEDS 80 – 2720 | eBay

Guessing from the color alone, I'd bet these are 1967-68 machines. Mr Pete's is similar. Mine has flaking present on every surface- worn but but worn out. Its ability of make good parts is only limited by its operator.