What's new
What's new

Used Mori-Seiki TV-400 with MSC-802M Control. Thoughts?

Jashley73

Titanium
I found a used Mori-Seiki TV-400 30-taper drill & tap machine for sale, which comes equipped with their MSC-802M touch-screen control. Although I thought this was a Fanuc with Mori's overlay on top, it turns out its a Mitsubishi control underneath. That doesn't really bother me, because without seeing it, I'm ass_u_me_ing that the Mori overlay behaves much like any Fanuc 16i-18i from the late ninety's. Although I've never used a straight-up plain Mits/Meldas control, we have Mazak machines (Mitsubishi hardware, etc...) at work, so I'm somewhat familiar with those.

However, searching for this machine turns up very little info - actually, all that I can find is about the smaller travel/footprint TV-30, which also shared the same control.

Does anyone have any experience with this machine, or the MSC-802M control? From what I've heard anyway, it seems like most Mits controls come loaded with standard features that are otherwise options of Fanuc controls, is that true for these? (Custom-Macro included?)As far as support, I suppose it would be wise to phone-up Mori and Mits to see if this thing is still supported.

And can anyone comment on the rigidity? I know it's a 30-taper, but will it do OK with light-to-moderate milling? (Solid carbides 1/2" and under? It lists a max feed of 472 in/min, so light-and-fast cutting is certainly possible...) This particular machine seems to be well taken care of, and the price is right, and should certainly fit in the space allowed. (My garage...)

Just wondering if it's a machine worth purchasing, of if these things are dogs...

mori-seiki's are supposed to be the bomb. Super precise, super accurate, and last forever if you take care of them. Yeah, afaik they're absolute cream puffs, but you should let someone else throw in their 2 cents, as this is mainly just hearsay

I have a 1996 TV30 with MSC-802M control. The TV400 is a year or two newer and a bit bigger and a larger capacity magazine.

Mine has the 8K 5HP spindle and a 10K was optional. There was an optional 7.5HP spindle as well. I'm very happy with it. i use it mainly as a mill and rarely have drill/tap jobs. Milling steel it's best to use 4 flute carbide tools. Milling aluminum it does nicely for a 30 taper. I routinely run a 4 flute 3/4" carbide endmill full width cut, .15 deep at 75IPM and 7krpm. Half width cuts at .25 deep and same speed and feed. It will rigid tap at 8krpm if you want (or have the guts). I tried it on some test parts just to see if it would do it. Unless you are tapping pretty deep it will not get to 8k. Rapids are around 1900ipm.

The control is a little different but really easy to use once you figure out a few things. Compared to the typical Fanuc OM or Omate control that typically comes on drill/tap machines, the MSC-802M is pretty nicely equipped. It comes standard with...

128K of memory.
User macro B
99 offsets with H and D, Geometry and Wear for each address.
Helical milling with pitch control.
Canned cycles for various hole patterns.
Simple conversational programming (called Dialog programming)
Tool offset setting function
Fixture offset setting functions.
On board ladder editing (really handy!!!!!)
And more...

I got mine after it had sat in a warehouse for ~9 years or so. Fortunately, every single manual that it came with new was still with the machine. I had to replace batteries, reload parameters, reset zero points, etc. Never needed to contact Mori during the "resurrection" so don't know what the current level of support is. If you get it and need help getting something going, I may be able to help.

Thanks Van. I believe the machine in question has the 7.5/10 HP cont./30-min 8k RPM spindle. Nice to know the control is nicely equipped. Also good to know it has decent milling capabilities. This one also has a 20-tool side-mount changer, instead of the drum-turret. Hopefully things will go smooth and I'll get a chance to check it out.

speaking of tv-300's check this out from last month. $1950. deal of a lifetime, of course it was gone in about 15 minutes. sorry for the horrible sideways pic.

CAM00741.jpg

Back