What's new
What's new

Useful Grinding Info and Texts

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
Here is a small compendium of useful grinding info ranging from basic to more advanced. A lot of this is from my personal stash, a few were contributed by others, with notation of the contributing member. I'll add more as I get to it.

Here is a nice little compendium of useful grinding PDFs, this link was first posted by member @Robert R

PDF attachments at the bottom should be:

Norton Grinder Hand's Wheel Dressing Manual

Selecting the Right Grinding Wheel

Dressing Resin and Metal Bond Wheels

DoAll Grinder Manual - has a lot of good grinding tips

Grinding High Speed Steel - courtesy of member EG

Uddeholm's Grinding of Tool Steels

Grinding Cemented Carbide Tooling - a good article I saved from "Manufacturing Technology"

Dressing and Resurfacing Mag Chucks - from KO Lee - this is the exact same way I've always done it; keep in mind the recommended ⅜" stepover is probably intended for a 1" wheel width. I generally go for ⅓ the wheel width on stepover with a dust cut for final finishing. And coarse dress on the wheel. That helps the chuck grip parts a little better by increasing the coefficient of friction. Make it grippy, not pretty. Also, chuck grinding may require more than one flip to get everything as flat as possible.

Truing and Dressing - from Noritake - another good addendum to the other two dressing guides with even a little more specific information

Dressing Resin Bond Diamond Wheels - Graff Diamond Tools

Also a couple of Dropbox links. Posting these as Dropbox links because they are too big to attach to the post.

Norton's Handbook on Abrasives & Grinding Wheels (this has really good info about selecting wheels as well as grit and wheel type suggestions for different materials).

Norton's Handbook on Toolroom Grinding

Attachments

• Norton Grinder Hand's Dressing Manual.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 147
  • Select the Right Grinding Wheel.pdf
    680.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Dressing resin and metal bonded diamond and CBN grinding wheels.pdf
    261.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DoAll Grinder Manual.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
  • Grinding High Speed Steel.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 112
  • Uddeholm Grinding of Tool Steel.pdf
    751.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Grinding Cemented Carbide Tooling.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Dressing and Resurfacing Mag Chucks.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Truing and Dressing.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • Dressing Resin Bond Diamond Wheels.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
If you can find a copy of The Grinding Wheel, it's great.
I just received this from Amazon. I guess it's a 2013 reprint of a 1959 edition. I was looking for something like this and I'm excited to read it. Thank you to Mr Goldstein.

and thank you to wake less for asking the question.

I can't finish without thanking ekretz for his docs, but really, I appreciate all the contributors on this website. You all are awesome.
20230220_173159.jpg

In another life I stood in front of a surface grinder doing contour grinding on progressive dies. Before wire EDM. There were times this information could have been welcome.
Thanks, Roger

Has anyone else noticed that much of this info is... well, rather old?
Why?
Old art? Nobody cares? Nothing new in the last handful of decades?
I love the idea of a good place for this all this info but does seem like old farts not making forward progress.
Or maybe all to be known has already been done long ago.
:Ithankyou: to our mod for putting such info together in one spot.

The new stuff is out there but it's still within copyright. Can't mass share it for free, they still want to make money. I've got some excellent newer texts but they aren't available in pdf.

Most of the stuff applicable to aluminum oxide and silicon carbide wheels is the same today as it was back when. The newer stuff is more diamond and CBN related or more advanced like electrical erosion dressing or even ultrasonic stuff.

Off the top of my head, Tribology of Abrasive Machining Processes and Handbook of Machining with Grinding Wheels are a couple good ones. Both are pretty long and somewhat involved reading though.

If you can find a copy of The Grinding Wheel, it's great. Pretty old but grinding is grinding, hasn't changed that much. All different kinds covered in that book.
interesting in the book The Grinding Wheel is the reference to the "Flux bar"
That word may be for "Changing" because it is used with step bars, parallels, and angle bars to stabilize angled and non-similar part surfaces that might be set on a magnetic chuck or other holding device.
It is basically a part set-on bar or bars that may not be flat or the same height.
We used to commonly set angle bars/parallels/and wires under parts to be ground on surface grinders and Blanchards.
I have not heard of referring to "Flux bars" in USA shops other than in that book(?).
It may be a European or German thing/term.
(My copy of Grinding Wheel is 1951 ed.)

Last edited:
” Jones & Shipman “ used to do a brilliant book on cylindrical and surface grinding techniques. It was free as well.
Same old story - I loaned it out and never got it back.

edit. “ Tony’s Lathes “ has a copy for sale - £52. Mine was an original hard back edition, I don’t know if his copy is an original or a re-print.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that much of this info is... well, rather old?
Why?

Cuz all a grinding wheel is, is a bazillion little tiny rocks, and all we're doing is beating on some poor piece of metal with a bunch of rocks ? Just like cavemen did ?

Now we got electricity, don't have to stand there and swing, and the rocks are all nicely sized and glued together but the principle ...

QT: (Now we got electricity, don't have to stand there and swing, and the rocks are all nicely sized and glued together but the principle )
I was electrochemical grinding in the early 60s, and we are still swinging rocks.

QT: (Cuz all a grinding wheel is, is a bazillion little tiny rocks,)
And the rocks are not all bazillion..some come from Checkosliva.

Still, nobody chimed in on the words "Flux bar".. any grinder hands failure with using that term in grinding?

Cleaning up the mess I call a computer, this one might be useful ...

It's only used on parts for the turbo-encabulator :D

Nice. Added it to the top post with accreditation. I added a few more I found in my stash too. I have more, just gotta dig a bit. A lot of them have the retarded gibberish titles that make no sense so I have to open every one and see what it is.

Still, nobody chimed in on the words "Flux bar".. any grinder hands failure with using that term in grinding?
I'm no grinder hand, but it seems like a "flux bar" would refer to a magnetic parallel with alternating layers of magnetic and nonmagnetic material that maintain the magnetic chuck's flux lines and carry the magnetic flux up to a part on top of the parallel, where the magnetic circuit can be completed through the part, imposing an attractive force to the part.

I'm no grinder hand, but it seems like a "flux bar" would refer to a magnetic parallel with alternating layers of magnetic and nonmagnetic material that maintain the magnetic chuck's flux lines and carry the magnetic flux up to a part on top of the parallel, where the magnetic circuit can be completed through the part, imposing an attractive force to the part.

That would've been my guess too. Can't imagine what else flux might be implying other than magnetic flux. I hadn't heard the term "flux bar" before Buck.

I had never heard the term, but it is on pages 120 and 120 in my book The Grinding Wheel. shown is an angle part on a flux bar,,,and another photo of two flux bars under a part that has s double step bottom.
Another mention of Fluxis is on page 124 where it is said "Very thin stock that is slightly distorted is rather tricky to grind perfectly flat because the magnetic flux may draw it flat against the chuck and after grinding it may spring back."

I had never heard the term, but it is on pages 120 and 120 in my book The Grinding Wheel. shown is an angle part on a flux bar,,,and another photo of two flux bars under a part that has s double step bottom.
Another mention of Fluxis is on page 124 where it is said "Very thin stock that is slightly distorted is rather tricky to grind perfectly flat because the magnetic flux may draw it flat against the chuck and after grinding it may spring back."

If they are plain solid steel bars, it may be that they are "short circuiting" the flux paths in the magnet in that area to reduce the pull down force above them. Sort of like a "keeper" on an old horseshoe magnet.

Can anyone confirm that the book "The Grinding Wheel" as referenced above is actually "The Grinding Wheel: A Textbook of Modern Grinding Practice" by Kenneth Burnham Lewis? I am preparing an interlibrary loan request.

metalmagpie

Back