What's new
What's new

Using CAMBAM with Vintage 3M Control

WakelessFoil

Plastic
We have a 1983 Enshu Accumill with a Fanuc 3M control. I have successfully programed this machine manually but wish to use CAM software to generate tool paths and G-code. I have had a little success with CAMBAM 1.0 but am now struggling with several issues (I am extremely inexperienced when it comes to CNC). So I will take them one at a time.

When I ask the program to generate G-code, it expects the machines axis to move away from the reference point in the positive direction. But our machine interprets it as movement in the negative direction. This always causes an overtravel in the incorrect direction. Is there a way to make the CAM software understand which way to properly move the axis?

EXAMPLE: G00 X0.5 from the reference point will cause overtravel, the user intends to move -0.5

My second and more obscure issue is when I perform a reference point return, the POS screen does not display all zeros. It acts as if the machine is locked in incremental mode as opposed to absolute. Even after I modified the parameter for INC/ABS. When I boot the machine at the reference point then it reads it as zero. Although, if I move the axis and perform another reference point return, the numbers read off by 0.0003 (reading -0.0007), this may not be a problem as that error seems within tolerance level for a machine of this nature.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

-Justin

Hardplates

Stainless
Familiarize yourself with G92, that should solve your problems.

G92 X0 Y0 Z0 while home will zero your display, but you're gonna want to set the coordinates to work zero, not machine zero.

garyhlucas

Stainless
The CamBam forum is really good with lots of people willing to help. I use CamBam all the time and just helped another guy get up and running with it. However what you want to do is a change to the Post processor and I haven’t done that in years. If you send me a PM I’d be happy to help you get up to speed with the program. Also there are tons of plugins that greatly extend the capabilities of CamBam.