What's new
What's new

Using Tailstock for the first time, what do I have to know? Haas SL-30 Lathe

FleetFarmer

Plastic
Hello

I run a Haas SL30 Lathe, I program exclusively using Mastercam 2018.

I mostly use a CNMG 432 type holder and inserts.

Material is Hardened H-13, 3" Dia 7" Long

I've never had to use the tailstock to support any parts before. And my problem is that I only have the "entry" level version of Mastercam2018 so I can't program the tailstock using Mastercam.:(

I don't have much experience with straight G-CODE, but if push comes to shove...I may have to.

---My question is, Can I manually advance the tailstock until it securely presses the part against the chuck? ( I know I have to match the angle of the center with a countersink or something.)

---Will it be ok if I'm only turning down the diameter to 2.375"?

My nightmare is the turret will crash into the tailstock because Mastercam doesn't "know" that the tailstock is advanced.

Sorry for such a newb question. I've run this lathe for years and got away with only parting, so I haven't had to use my tailstock.

IMG_4993.jpg

Well, you're going to need to centerdrill your stock first. That way the tailstock has something to hold the shaft.
Is your tailstock fully programmable as far as positioning? I've never used one like that.
All the ones I've used, you pull the tailstock up semi close to the work and lock it down.
Then you mash the pedal to extend the quill. Make sure your tailstock pressure is set to a reasonable number or pressure from the cut could push the quill in enough to let the shaft slip out. You don't want that.

Also, there should be an M code to extend the quill and another to retract it, if you want to go that route. Depending on the size of your live center and the depth of your centerdrill, an 80 deg diamond turn tool may not fit without hitting the live center. You may end up using a 55 deg tool.
Also on my Okuma lathe depending on the diameter I need to turn, sometimes the turret will hit the tailstock body. I end up having to extend the tool out of the turret a little and reset the tool.

Last think I can think of is when positioning at the workpiece for the first cut I always rapid to Z first, then X. I don't want the machine making a dogleg into the tailstock.

Good luck.

I don't have much experience with straight G-CODE, but if push comes to shove...I may have to.

My nightmare is the turret will crash into the tailstock because Mastercam doesn't "know" that the tailstock is advanced.

You don't need to know G-code inside out to be able to understand a program sufficiently to prevent a tailstock crash, or most crashes for that matter. Just the most fundamentally basic G0/G1 moves in X and Z.

When you run a program for the first time in a lathe, do you:

1. Have rapids set at 5%?
2. Is your right thumb hovering over the cycle stop button at all times?
3. Do you have coordinates visible on your screen, specifically with Distance-To-Go?
4. Do you regularly use Single Block as needed?

The time to learn G-code was yesterday, but it's never too late to start. "Push comes to shove" is really the wrong mentality and it's holding you back. If you can figure out CAM, you can figure out G-code, easily.

WOW Thank you guys so much for the quick responses!!!

I do know some GCODE, what I meant was that I've never used straight GCODE to program a part. I model the part using Mastercam, then post the program to my machine. So if I were to have to input some G or M codes, then I would be a little hesitant.

Orange Vise, thank you for responding so quickly!

I am probably one of the most careful operators out there. I always set rapid to 5%(especially) when trying something new. I don't exactly know what "single block" is? I am spoiled because Mastercam spits out all the GCODE for my programs so I really never have to think about it.

So if I am understanding right...

I can just manually advance tailstock against the part(after center drill of course) and then run my program like normal?

One of my issues with this all is that I see so many people talking about M codes and stuff like that and I use Mastercam so I don't have much experience with it...I know it sounds stupid but I've run this lathe for years and very rarely have to adjust the code.

I am probably one of the most careful operators out there. I always set rapid to 5%(especially) when trying something new. I don't exactly know what "single block" is? I am spoiled because Mastercam spits out all the GCODE for my programs so I really never have to think about it.

One of my issues with this all is that I see so many people talking about M codes and stuff like that and I use Mastercam so I don't have much experience with it...I know it sounds stupid but I've run this lathe for years and very rarely have to adjust the code.

After all these years running a cnc lathe, how do you not know what the program is doing?
Surely you've picked up on what some G and M codes do along the way, right?
Or do you program in Mastercam, load it, then hit cycle start and walk away hoping it doesn't crash?
What are you looking at when you run a program for the first time? How do you know it won't crash? How do you know the tool is doing what it's supposed to do and going to the right dimension?

Haas tailstocks should have an invisible boundry around it listed in your settings to prevent a crash. You also literally need QTY(1) M code in the program to command it forward and one to retract it. This is laid out pretty well in the machine manual which is something I read cover to cover before putting my dick beaters anywhere near the machine.....

Single block is a mode where it runs one “block” (line) of code with every time you hit the “cycle start” button. Run it with the “POS” screen showing you distance to go and it’s pretty safe. It can take a long time to get through the program the first time but goes a long way in helping prevent crashes. This video is for a mill but it’s essentially the same for a lathe. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/R8yIf8eQHvE

The OPs situation illustrates one downside of not becoming at least semi-literate in G and M code programming. One gets so dependent on CAD-CAM that operations or functions not supported by the CAM software or post become difficult or unable to be performed.

Obviously I know just about every GCODE that I need to know, I've never programmed a part start to finish using anything but Mastercam. And why would I?

Mtndew... Are you serious? Yes all I do is press random buttons and cross my fingers. You are obviously very good at reading. :rolleyes5:

Some people lol

The OPs situation illustrates one downside of not becoming at least semi-literate in G and M code programming. One gets so dependent on CAD-CAM that operations or functions not supported by the CAM software or post become difficult or unable to be performed.

Smug much?

Obviously I know just about every GCODE that I need to know, I've never programmed a part start to finish using anything but Mastercam. And why would I?

Mtndew... Are you serious? Yes all I do is press random buttons and cross my fingers. You are obviously very good at reading. :rolleyes5:

Some people lol

Smug much?

This isn't the first time you've come here and had to be spoon fed very basic information so obviously you don't know everything you need to. 3D and multi axis milling I use CAM, but it's way faster to fingerbang programs on 2 axis lathes if you're competent. Between the machine manual and Youtube there's enough Haas information out there to be drinking it out of a firehose, you just need to put forth the effort.

Obviously I know just about every GCODE that I need to know
Obviously you don't.

Some people lol

I am very good at reading, thanks for the compliment. Oh you might want to look at your post where it literally says you don't know the codes.

You need to learn to edit G code. If you use a tailstock, you make the first approach move in Z (always starting for X machine home position) and then come down on X. Then at the end of each operation you must move in X home position first and then in Z.

There has to be a setting in Mastercam that you can specify that there is a tailstock.

By the way, not knowing G code and always relying on your software is just wild to me. Again, you need to learn how to manually edit and write code for those times that you will need it.

So if I am understanding right...

I can just manually advance tailstock against the part(after center drill of course) and then run my program like normal?

Running your program as normal will be catastrophic for you. Must edit out the rapid moves from home position to part, and from part to home position. And as other people have mentioned, you may also need the turning tools to stick out further to prevent the turret hitting the tailstock.

Work that requires the use of a tailstock should only be trusted to experienced machinists. Things can go south really quick if you are not extra careful with everything.

Back