What's new
What's new

Using Two Dies to Cut Threads??

Its interesting to see how much damage a quite small amount of nitroglycerin causes to a safe.........the power of any high explosive comes from the high rate of detonation,which accelerates directly contacted metal parts to 10,000 ft /sec approx.,tearing the steel apart.

I read it that the original bolt head has small internal threads inside the head as well as standard external threads on the other end.
Bill D
Sorry Bill didn't pay attention ! However that is not a problem. I put a piece of carbon rod in holes that I want to preserve. Then drill through to the first thread and re tap after using a smaller than min dia to clean out the carbon.

In general ,ebay threading dies cut way undersized ,in soft material ,anyway .......hard material just crumbles the cutting edges.............some here may recall the days when proper tools were sold.....the two piece "Little Giant " dies were the best ,followed by the round two piece "Elastic" pattern dies ,which also had a wide range of adjustment .....and were made of good steel ,not Chinesium.

Back