What's new
What's new

Vacuum table help

jedeye

Plastic
hey everyone. So my work has this production run where there are 4 plates with 15 parts on each plate. we are trying to use vacuum as the work holding but we are having trouble with getting the vacuum to initially engage without applying pressure or a weight to the top of the parts. does anyone have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

more info... what material, wood, metal or chickenshit? what process or machine? what size?

how in hell do people expect to get help without providing even the most basic of details? im constantly amazed, but guess I shouldn't be, because I know humans are stupid.. but Jesus..

the addition of a gasket such as an O ring and if its metal a light coat of vacuum grade oil on it helps establish the seal,

the addition of a buffer tank, accumulator tank, or "dump tank" that is pumped down while parts are being swapped out and "valved in" when drawing down the parts gives it a burst effect.

a bigger pump.

A dump tank works, but a paint roller is easier than running around pushing on every last part one at a time, and costs $10 at home depot. I'd start there.

who the hell would want your help if you are calling people stupid. take a hike i dont want your narcissistic help
just a note, if you can read, im calling myself stupid, all humans are stupid. thats just a fact.
if that's narcissistic ill own it, but I think actually, your comment just proves my point.

Last edited:
A dump tank works, but a paint roller is easier than running around pushing on every last part one at a time, and costs $10 at home depot. I'd start there.
thought that's a smart comment, but if you are paying 10$ for a paint roller at HD for that, well... :D

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. "I'm sure you hate yourself or your operator, so get the cheapest $3 roller you can find at Home Depot. Make sure the handle is extra uncomfortable. Use it all damn day."

Having to push the part/parts flat against the seals is normal. The alternative is to start with flat enough stock, but that is generally more work than pressing on the parts. There are way more details than that but they depend on other details of the particular job and setup. I am not a fan of accumulator tanks as once you get your seal then you have to wait for the vacuum to draw down to an acceptable level before starting to cut, unless you have an oversized pump, which would negate the need for the accumulator tank. Good seals make a huge difference in how well vacuum workholding works.

hey everyone. So my work has this production run where there are 4 plates with 15 parts on each plate. we are trying to use vacuum as the work holding but we are having trouble with getting the vacuum to initially engage without applying pressure or a weight to the top of the parts. does anyone have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Not enough information. Please describe your stock, your vacuum fixture, and pump setup.

Having to push the part/parts flat against the seals is normal. The alternative is to start with flat enough stock, but that is generally more work than pressing on the parts. There are way more details than that but they depend on other details of the particular job and setup. I am not a fan of accumulator tanks as once you get your seal then you have to wait for the vacuum to draw down to an acceptable level before starting to cut, unless you have an oversized pump, which would negate the need for the accumulator tank. Good seals make a huge difference in how well vacuum workholding works.
you can cut out the accumulator once parts seal established, then you don't have additional volume at that time.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. "I'm sure you hate yourself or your operator, so get the cheapest $3 roller you can find at Home Depot. Make sure the handle is extra uncomfortable. Use it all damn day."
Jesus man, lighten up. that was meant as a joke, friendly ribbing. sorry if you were actually insulted, not intended to.

more info... what material, wood, metal or chickenshit? what process or machine? what size?

how in hell do people expect to get help without providing even the most basic of details? im constantly amazed, but guess I shouldn't be, because I know humans are stupid.. but Jesus..

the addition of a gasket such as an O ring and if its metal a light coat of vacuum grade oil on it helps establish the seal,

the addition of a buffer tank, accumulator tank, or "dump tank" that is pumped down while parts are being swapped out and "valved in" when drawing down the parts gives it a burst effect.

a bigger pump.

I think responses like this is exactly why young people don't want to start in this trade. I think it's a pretty big turn off when more experienced people shame you for asking questions. It's like this everywhere in this trade. It's almost like everyone is projecting their feelings of not knowing anything when they first started out onto the new people.

You are right. jedeye didn't provide the correct information for us to give them an answer, but did you stop to think that maybe they don't know what information to provide to get their question answered?

Honestly, I'm tired of this kind of stuff. Machining and manufacturing is so rewarding in a lot more ways than one and it's people like you who are pushing away our young population from it. If you don't want to help, then leave your comments to yourself.

I think responses like this is exactly why young people don't want to start in this trade. I think it's a pretty big turn off when more experienced people shame you for asking questions. It's like this everywhere in this trade. It's almost like everyone is projecting their feelings of not knowing anything when they first started out onto the new people.

You are right. jedeye didn't provide the correct information for us to give them an answer, but did you stop to think that maybe they don't know what information to provide to get their question answered?

Honestly, I'm tired of this kind of stuff. Machining and manufacturing is so rewarding in a lot more ways than one and it's people like you who are pushing away our young population from it. If you don't want to help, then leave your comments to yourself.

if you will note, after going on my little tirade, I did proceed to give excellent information (in my own opinion, lol!).

I was clearly making fun of myself as well by doing that, and of course branding myself as stupid (as we all humans are. I'm more convinced of this on a daily basis).

also, it doesn't take years of machining experience to add some pertinent info to questions. that's a basic logic.

Back