What's new
What's new

Van norman quil.Milling machine

Dowels

Hi Cal.The dowels did the same thing.I tried a tungsten brill bit ,but they spun around I tried the epoxy bit no luck.The dowel holes are 12mm deep with broken dowel in them.12 mm depth should be enough to hold in place with 4 bolts holding lead screw nut holder as well.i have the the high and low selector working with ease.When machine arrieved H-N-L was completly jamed.The machine must have worked only in one gear..Every thing noe runs freely.Regards Phil

Hi Cal.The dowels did the same thing.I tried a tungsten brill bit ,but they spun around I tried the epoxy bit no luck.The dowel holes are 12mm deep with broken dowel in them.12 mm depth should be enough to hold in place with 4 bolts holding lead screw nut holder as well. ...
The saddle here is the same way, but I'm still determined to get the broken dowels out. A couple more things to try: use a center punch to stake the dowel to the bore so that it can be drilled out or use Loc-Tite (medium strength) for the same purpose.

Did you locate new bearings for your spindle, etc.?

Cal

Bearings

I have replaced spindle bearings only.Bearings did not seem to bad.IF I had replaced all bearings it would have cost me nearly as much as I paid for machine.The average price for angle thrust was £35 compared to £12 for deep grove.Fitting the angle bearing is quite a job as they pop apart very easy.I got them fitted and all seems ok.Seal were a problem as i could get ID ,but had to make up ring for OD.The bevel gears blued off fine.Just had to take off high spots, as usual I had blue up my nose in my ears and on the telephone. I would say i`m getting 90% engagement,shims did not need to be changed,there were layers as you said.The large bevel runs in bath of oil,this will have to be checked often.Money plays a large part in project as enconomy is not to great.Regards Phil

Hi Phil,

I haven't checked your PhotoBucket page in a while. It looks like you’re making good progress!

The internal parts for the table feed mechanism sure cleaned up well. Did you polish the shafts for the bevel gears?
SAM_0410.jpg

BTW, I think the sleeve/spacer on the short bevel gear shaft (on the right) belongs on the other end, next to the worm gear.

Did you take apart the worm gear?

Cal

Back