What's new
What's new

Very close to buying my first printer

Seems like a prime candidate for automated production, where you can just drop the bed temperature 20-30C, use the extruder to bump the print off, and warm back up and resume.

Lots of folks doing just that. Plenty of them also are inclining the printer on a ~30degree angle and putting a catch bucket at the bottom for catching the parts after the push.

Thankfully I've never had to print enough to care about that.

Another +1 for Prusa printers. Had a Mk2 with MMU, but sold that and now have a MK3. Only had one issue with the mk3(bought used) and had to repace the heating element/sensor for the nozzle as I had a runaway at one point. But other than that, they are great for the money.

I went from Prusa to Bambu and the Bambu's have been awesome. Have a bank of 5 running straight out of the box for several months with zero issues . The detection features and software is nice and the AMS allows 4 rolls to be fitted and kept dry. Multiplate is awesome so you can schedule days in advance . I will be buying more as demand increases.

I went from Prusa to Bambu and the Bambu's have been awesome. Have a bank of 5 running straight out of the box for several months with zero issues . The detection features and software is nice and the AMS allows 4 rolls to be fitted and kept dry. Multiplate is awesome so you can schedule days in advance . I will be buying more as demand increases.

I have trouble getting past Bambu's business practices. They have made use of much of the available open source development without contributing back in any meaningful way.

I have trouble getting past Bambu's business practices. They have made use of much of the available open source development without contributing back in any meaningful way.
Why do you say that they released their code yeah ? As far as their business practice .. open source code and GitHub etc is an entirely different discussion and one 99% of people don't actually understand or use. It gets talked up a d lot, usually by people looking to make a point not by people looking for repository stores. When people do flag it I usually fine it happens when their specific driving requirement is not fully support by what they have found and they have to work harder to get integration or their own platform sorted than they anticipated cause they are lazy and did not get it served to them. Anyway, as I said Open Source is an entire discussion and opens up a heap or issues.

Regardless the Bambu's are awesome and proven to be WAY better than the Prusa's I had .

Why do you say that they released their code yeah ? As far as their business practice .. open source code and GitHub etc is an entirely different discussion and one 99% of people don't actually understand or use. It gets talked up a d lot, usually by people looking to make a point not by people looking for repository stores. When people do flag it I usually fine it happens when their specific driving requirement is not fully support by what they have found and they have to work harder to get integration or their own platform sorted than they anticipated cause they are lazy and did not get it served to them. Anyway, as I said Open Source is an entire discussion and opens up a heap or issues.

Regardless the Bambu's are awesome and proven to be WAY better than the Prusa's I had .

They have repositories for their slicer and their mobile application:

Open source licensing is used for more than slicing software, and I would bet my dollar they are using much more than that.

To be fair to your point, though, my gripes with Bambu go beyond their misuse of open source software and hardware. It is a symptom of a bigger issue: They, as a company, represent a less-than-ethical perspective of intellectual property, employment, their customers, and the market. This view is currently prolific in China. I'd rather not encourage that view with my money.

I'd rather support companies which have more ethical views of employment, their customers, and the market.

BarnFab,

Have you seen any issues with the beds warping on your Bambu printers? There appears to be a design flaw and heat-cycles cause the bed to warp...at least what I've read on Bambu's forum:

BarnFab,

Have you seen any issues with the beds warping on your Bambu printers? There appears to be a design flaw and heat-cycles cause the bed to warp...at least what I've read on Bambu's forum:

Nope I have seen nothing, as at today I have run 597 ( 1 KG ) roles of PLA through them with zero issues or down time. I schedule plates and just keep feeding them in. I have done minimal color changes and most of the AMS units have 4 rolls of the same color which lets me run the roles empty and change to next one without stopping or having to waste some left over like I had to with the PRUSA as if I had say a 10 hr print that needed 300 g of material and only 100g left on teh roll I had to plan to swap out during or put on a new roll so it would run .

As they say we vote with our feet and wallets and I have another few on order so will have 10 in the next few months.

No one seems to drop real numbers but here are a few to help. They cost say $1600 each and I make about $3 an hour on them and get around 20 hrs run time a day . So each printer makes $60 a day meaning to pay off the $1600 takes ( 1600 / 60 ) 27 days of operation.

With the Bambu I have seen zero issues so have lost zero time and each printer I have has paid itself off in under 30 days so I just keep buying more of them.

The above numbers are my Production units I make way more on my R&D units but they are less clean numbers as I am doing design with work not just invoicing so to speak. It is now almost expected that when you do a design for a customer you can give them a 3D printed version to test fit at minimal cost or as part of the service. The speed and reliability of the Bambu makes this much nicer.

I have bought all my Bambu's off the website and they all get here in a few weeks, no issues with shipping, delivery or startup either which is a nice change.

Thanks for the info...I appreciate it!

For me, running multiple rolls of the same filament in the AMS is a huge selling point...that and the speed of the printer. I have a stack of nearly gone rolls from using my Prusa. It would be great to have an AMS to solve that.

No one seems to drop real numbers but here are a few to help. They cost say $1600 each and I make about $3 an hour on them and get around 20 hrs run time a day . So each printer makes $60 a day meaning to pay off the $1600 takes ( 1600 / 60 ) 27 days of operation.
Are you actually selling 3D printed parts?

Thanks for the info...I appreciate it!

For me, running multiple rolls of the same filament in the AMS is a huge selling point...that and the speed of the printer. I have a stack of nearly gone rolls from using my Prusa. It would be great to have an AMS to solve that.
That is 100% what is does and what I also wanted. Its sounds weird but I love walking up to the rack and seeing empty spools and the printer still going after auto changing to next spool.

Have you tried printing mixed materials in the AMS? Every example I've seen is just to switch to either a new roll or change colors in a print.
I currently have a dual extruder for mixed materials, just wondering how well a single hotend can manage it IRL.

You do realize you are speaking of Chinese stealing from Chinese for the most part. :)

Woud you mind showing pics of some of your parts?

Denis
Yup, I am not that guy who posts their stuff all over the internet, if you want to ask a specific question then feel free, if you want me to start posting random pics of how I keep my lights on and gas in my tank ... yeah no thanks we aint a Disney ride.

Here is a picture of "not a part" which is one of the parts trays we make to keep our parts from not touching and make stock oh hand and re-order simple . It also allows for easy QC as you can store them with the display surface where you want it

1683307331527.png

I recommend Bambu at this point from a cost/performance perspective. I've got about 200hrs and around 50 parts on my X1C with the AMS in the first month in my home based shop. I am about to order 2 more for my day job workplace.

It was about 45 minutes from UPS drop off to running the first part. It is very easy to use.

I've had a few minor hiccups. The flexible build plate will sometimes not register causing the print job to pause until I fix it. I often start jobs away from the printer so it is annoying. I don't know if it is an issue with visibility of the registration mark to the camera or if I am putting the plate on wrong. Removing the plate and replacing it fixes the issue. I have also twice had a job start with what seems like a bad zero point which results in nothing sticking to the plate. This might be caused by something stuck to the nozzle or putting the built plate in wrong. I have had no mid or late print failures.

I didn't even know that multiplate was an option. I was wondering what the "print all" option was. I will definitely use that.

Back