What's new
What's new

Vetting potential employees

The two biggest problem categories I've seen are the drinkers and the speed freaks.

Worked for one place where at least 50% of the shop had dui's in their history, often more than one. Not a big problem until you try and get into Canada, or rent a car.

Would be very annoying hiring somebody to discover they couldn't rent a car if you sent them away on a job, or couldn't leave the country etc etc

There's also the moral/ethical values of potential hires to consider.

Case in point a VERY good young engineer I know has been hired at one of the largest Aerospace companies in SoCal. I asked him what he's going to be working on.

"Don't know, I just hope it isn't anything to do with military hardware"
"Where are you starting?"
"Palmdale"
"Eer, they don't do any civilian work in Palmdale, if you get your security clearance, you will be working on military hardware"
"I hope not"
"Probably should have considered that before you accepted the job"
Don't worry, those large doors in the bottom of the fuselage are just to let all the people out really fast!

You're making me investigate pricing and programming of Fanuc robots......

Be carefull what you wish for

A robot playing chess broke a young girls finger recently, robots evidently can have bad days as well.(not as bad as the young girls unfortuantly)

Unless it has been mentioned...Try a temp service. Over the last year or so an acquaintance uses a temp agency for shop floor employees. Temp agency rep gets a net per hour wage number, then adds in all the withholding, workers comp, and commission and sends bodies over who are somewhat closely matched to requirements--they handle the payroll. Wash-Rinse-Repeat until someone out of the batch shows potential and goes on the payroll as a probationary employee. Yeah---you go through a lot of bodies every once in awhile find a keeper. Prepare to be disappointed at first. What else you gonna do?

I worked at a place made automotive parts (aluminum), both the die cast and machining. Predominantly unskilled labor. People were trained as Operators, and while a very few were a cut above, most were people just needing to make a buck, no skills, often times just plain butts to have to deal with.

Not all, and to be fair to all of them is the following, straight off the floor for reals. I was the Floor Inspector. I like to work with people. I don't subscribe to the tribalism between Machinists vs Inspectors thing that sometimes gets in people's heads. I try to take care of the people I'm supposed to take care of.

We had some new hires for CNC Operators.

The got hired. They clocked in. They were put on CNC Machines to run parts. They were supposedly trained by Machining supervisors, standard protocol.

I make the rounds for inspections. First guy: Talky-talk, how you doing, I'm your Inspector, etc. He then says, "Hey, I had something really weird happen earlier, check this out!", and out from under his bench he pulls a casting the CLEARLY went through a Misload. Browwwwwrrrrr! the bit had to have gone as it chewed through, hmm, 3/4" of the part it wasn't supposed to. About.

I jump, tell him "wait, that's from a misload!" . . . "What's a misload?" . . . "Ummm, not clamped/seated properly in the fixture and the bit "crashed" it's way through the casting improperly. Didn't the person you reported this to explain that, and how to keep it from happening again?" . . ."I didn't tell anyone. I just kept running parts".. . . "No one trained you on what a misload or crash is, and what you are supposed to do when that happens?" "Nope".

I checked his fixture, his machine, double checked his last 10-ish parts, he was lucky. Not his fault.

Second person: A young lady named "Diamond". Didn't know what the big, red, emergency stop button was. No one told her. No one trained her on safety protocols and what to do in a runaway/crash situation. I filled that gap and made sure she knew how to handle herself in the event the unexpected happened. Not her fault.

Third person: Running an expensive, relatively complex and larger bracket. He's complaining his parts are failing all the time now. He's got a dang BIN full of fails and they keep happening. I'm finding this out as I'm at his station for an Inspection. I stop him and stick my head in his machine and go through the basic 1, 2, 3's. Right away I see a thick layer of aluminum chips stamped to the clamping surfaces because he wasn't blowing those clean each part. So, part by part, layers of chips were being smashed to the clamping surface.

"Aren't you blowing chips off each time?" . . . "Wut? No." . . . "Ummm, your parts are scrapping out because they are all shimmed up out of position now." . . ."Oh, really? No one told me". I spend 5 minutes with a tool helping him clear the clamping surfaces back to clean steel". Not his fault.

I made some waves over all this of course. But sometimes dealing with "problematic employees not knowing what they are doing" isn't the new hires, but the people already there who just don't give a crap, but given the responsiblilty to "teach" new hires who want to learn, and can.

I will never understand how any company can afford to do this. I guess that's why I was approached to build a new company. I just won't tolerate it. I would rather have machines at idle than making scrap and working backwards. I've had guys walk out during my training because I am "too picky".... I will open the door for them. Some guys want to earn a paycheck, but many guys just want 'the pay check'....

Ha, I was in some good friend's massive new operation years ago. Was talking with someone else as they had to tend to something. Was standing near an HMC when I heard a "not normal" sound. Not a single soul around it. Reflexes kicked in and I shut it down realizing someone did not tighten the part and the spindle/tool was chewing it to hell. My friends laughed and thanked me as we all used to work together. Then the "machine attendant" returned...... That was my time to leave because I know those boys operate like me..... we don't like crashes. My policy is if you need to potty, you either have someone step in to monitor for you, or you pause the machine. That screw up probably cost $500 and it was headed to many thousands if it grabbed the next tool with was a precision boring head.

Humility, people make mistakes their ability to own up to them and learn from their mistakes and the mistakes of others.
I have found that instead of asking about accomplishments ask about mistakes.

I tell my grandson who is now 21 years old to be very careful at any interviews to not be led into controversial subjects because the interviewer may be trying to lead him into exposing bad / racial / anti-something issues that could make him seem like a troublemaker. He has developed some bad/poor ideas about two certain groups and would likely be led to expose those traits if interviewed by a sharp PR person.
I have a niece who is the hiring, PR person at a big outfit but I have never discussed her job.
One study that I read about suggested that one interviewer would not / never has hired any person wearing a red shirt,

Pronouns?? Yeah, we don't do those here. We utilize the probationary clause to terminate inside 90days for no reason at all..... Not dealing with it. People can flame and threaten here all they want, our attorneys have spoken. I think some people don't realize I have discretion of who I hire, and I don't have to disclose my reasons to anyone. I don't care if your atty shows up asking questions, they won't get answers.

And now that you've posted this, it's immortalized forever(even if you delete it).

Observe the power of the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2022092...ads/vetting-potential-employees.404601/page-3

Last edited:
No worries....the OP is in the parking lot sniffing employees cars...:hole:
" I don't know all the regulations, but I have to do what I can to weed out zeros. I look at cars, smell them for cig smoke, etc......lol"

If I went to an interview and the guy started sniffing around my car, I'd promptly get out of there before he decided to piss on my tires or something.

If I went to an interview and the guy started sniffing around my car, I'd promptly get out of there before he decided to piss on my tires or something.
Woof Woof !

Attachments

• Electronics-for-dogs-174x209.jpg
    Electronics-for-dogs-174x209.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1
I will only reference a resume to see if someone can hold a thought or two. I don't pay much mind to education or claimed experience. If it is a machinist job, give them a block of aluminum and have them square it up with no machinist square. Give them a complex part and ask how they would make it. I would hire the guy who knows how and has some clever ideas or the guy who says, "I don't know." The guy who tries to dazzle with BS won't get a call back.

Back