What's new
What's new

VFD for 10hp 3ph 230v lathe motor

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
I have a VFD that kicked the bucket. I tried looking for a replacement for the same one and part number, but it looks like that model was discontinued. I'd like to replace it with a quality unit and don't mind spending money for a good long lasting component. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The motor is a Marathon Electric Black Max 10hp, 230/460V, 27/13.5 amps, max rpm 4,200rpm. Its fitted on a lathe with 4000 rpm capability.

I can supply 3ph 208V or 480v, but would like to run it on 208v.

Thanks in advance.

I have done a number of lathe installs using the Hitachi WJ200-075LF and they have worked quite well, I have an upcoming lathe install with the same motor, but plan to use the WJ200-110LF with a DC buss choke so it can be run on either single phase or three phase. The other drive I have done quite a few installs with is the Yaskawa VFD GA500 Drive 10Hp – 15Hp GA50U2042ABA 240V, I find their software programming interface to be a bit better than the Hitachi, they are both reliable drives. I prefer these drives to some of the others in this price range like the Fuji, Invertek, etc. which are also good drives but I find there programming to be a bit more limited. Teco also has the E510 series, but have not done many installs with them. I would use an external braking resistor with whatever model VFD you install, you can look up the specifications for the model VFD but I use a generic type power resistor brand.

Can you please explain about the braking resistor, I am not familiar with them. Is this what is used on CNC lathes or mills to slow down the spindle? Can you recommend one please

External braking resistor helps to dissipate the excess energy/voltage generated on the DC buss when slowing down heavy loads, or requiring faster stopping. So one should be able to achieve a 2-3 second stopping time with a 5-10Hp lathe with a braking resistor, without one maybe twice as long. There are VFD parameters which can minimize the risk of an over voltage buss error, which if occurred the VFD would loose its braking (go into a free run mode). If you have a mechanical foot brake, then you also would need to issue a free run command to the VFD to prevent it from trying to control the braking rate and fight against the manual brake. VFD manufactures specify the minimum resistance, braking frequency and resistor dissipation for their VFD;s the 10Hp VFD's mentioned I would use a braking resistor in the 18-22 ohm range with a wattage of 800-1200W. Some examples below, if it is an open type of resistor like the first one, it needs ample air circulation and the terminals can carry ~400VDC. Metal encased ones need to be mounted to a metal surface to achieve their rated dissipation. Since the braking occurs over a few seconds and it is intermittent, the braking resistor rarely gets past warm.

Back