What's new
What's new

VFD recommendation

I bought a vevor VFD that’s has no ground lug. It supposedly takes 240v single phase which mean L1 is hot and L2 is neutral per the wiring diagram. I fed up with trying to get this POS working so I’m looking for a recommendation of a specific VFD that I can use to get my 2hp Bridgeport up and running. Something that has good documentation and can properly handle standard US 220. Can someone give me a specific modlel that they know works

Is there a l1 l2 and l3 or just l1 l2 on the drive? 220 has two hots, on to l1 the other to l2 or l3 depending on your drive.
Automation direct
Lenze
Lesson sm (I like these)
Mitsubishi
Toshiba
Abb (Baldor)
Kb (solid, simplest of all, knobs for control and switch for for/rev on the drive)

.... there are lots.

Give a picture of input row on your drive.

Is there a l1 l2 and l3 or just l1 l2 on the drive? 220 has two hots, on to l1 the other to l2 or l3 depending on your drive.
Automation direct
Lenze
Lesson sm (I like these)
Mitsubishi
Toshiba
Abb (Baldor)
Kb (solid, simplest of all, knobs for control and switch for for/rev on the drive)

.... there are lots.

Give a picture of input row on your drive.
It has L1 L2 and L3. The wiring says 3ph 220 use L1 L2 and L3 and for single phase 220 L1 hot, L2 neurtral. I will take a picture tomorrow

I bought a vevor VFD that’s has no ground lug. It supposedly takes 240v single phase which mean L1 is hot and L2 is neutral per the wiring diagram.
240Vac single phase input on a VFD is usually two hot wires on any two of L1,L2,L3. Neutral is not used.
Go look at the documentation and what you did. Maybe you will like Vevor again.

Last edited:
I have a Hitachi WJ200 VFD and like it a lot. It has a a very good manual (about 500 pages), which is important for new users. For the 2 HP motor I would recommend their single phase input model WJ200-015SF. Better yet look at your motor full load current and select a drive with this or bigger rating.
Recently I had a chance to compare Hitachi and Mitsubishi manuals and Hitachi is superior. I have seen some Chinese manuals and they are junk, if you need them to learn.

Here is the terminal block on my existing drive
240Vac single phase input on a VFD is usually two hot wires on any two of L1,L2,L3. Neutral is not used.
Go look at the documentation and what you did. Maybe you will like Vevor again.
i have to connect a ground somewhere and i don’t see any place for a. ground lug. 2 hits without a ground won’t work

I have a Hitachi WJ200 VFD and like it a lot. It has a a very good manual (about 500 pages), which is important for new users. For the 2 HP motor I would recommend their single phase input model WJ200-015SF. Better yet look at your motor full load current and select a drive with this or bigger rating.
Recently I had a chance to compare Hitachi and Mitsubishi manuals and Hitachi is superior. I have seen some Chinese manuals and they are junk, if you need them to learn.
yeah. i’m kind of fed up with chinese translation of manuals. i find if i read them upside down they make a lot more sense

This is sort of falling off a log type stuff at this level.
So what and why the original not working?
220 and one is hot and one neutral. What kind of power do you have coming in? 3 phase?
In my house both 220 sides are hot. In my shop it is phase to phase.
Ground is protection and should never carry current. Ground is not neutral.
Power from hot to ground is questionable although one will read voltage there with a meter.

Bob

This is sort of falling off a log type stuff at this level.
So what and why the original not working?
220 and one is hot and one neutral. What kind of power do you have coming in? 3 phase?
In my house both 220 sides are hot. In my shop it is phase to phase.
Ground is protection and should never carry current. Ground is not neutral.
Power from hot to ground is questionable although one will read voltage there with a meter.

Bob
No I have standard residential 220. There are 2 hot legs each 120 a neutral and a ground. Look at a 220 breaker there are 2 hot wires on the breaker, white goes to the neutral bus bar and ground to the ground bus. I’ve wired dozens of 220 breakers. Wire up my 220 lathe (not 3 phase) 2 wires from the breaker and the ground. I have never seen a residential single hot 220 breaker, they may exist and I guess I could look for one, I am returning the vevor and I bought a weg on the recommendation of wolf automation. It’s wiring diagram looks as I expect this to, L1 and L2 hot and a ground lug.

Back