What's new
What's new

VFD store or outlet suggestion. 10Hp .

rons

Diamond
I know it's been asked before. But the last few years might have changed some things.
230V single phase in and 230 three phase out.
Probably bigger than a show box and smaller than a bread basket.

At the very minimum, you would need to buy a 20HP 230V drive to run a 10Hp 230V 3 phase motor. But don’t take that as gospel, every drive mfr has their own rules. Some require a 65% de-rate for single phase input. If you don’t see it in writing from the drive mfr., it might not be suitable.

Then you have the problem of 10HP on 230V single phase. That’s going to be roughly 50+A from your single phase source, requiring a minimum 60A circuit breaker. Make sure you have a service drop that can handle that much.

I already have the right rating at 10 Hp for a smaller size motor.

Would a HVAC VFD be the right thing for a compressor pump. The motor is either on or off at 60 Hz. Sensorless vector for this? What a waste.

around here (NYC, NJ, and eastern PA) Dealers Electric in Hillside NJ can't be beat for quality VFDs, and new old stock industrial motors. TECO, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, GE, Marathon etc. they are also very knowledgable and helpful. for the VFDs, shipping won't be an issue, unlike the big motors, so give them a call. non sponsored, just good experience over the years. tell 'em cyanide kid sent you. cheers!

I already have the right rating at 10 Hp for a smaller size motor.

Would a HVAC VFD be the right thing for a compressor pump. The motor is either on or off at 60 Hz. Sensorless vector for this? What a waste.
Huh? Electrically a 10 hp motor is a 10 hp motor. The size of the motor doesn't make any difference. What are you trying to say?

"Size" can be in HP as well as centimeters/inches.

I take it that the 10 HP is the VFD and the motor is maybe 10 HP or less.

Compressors are known to be harder starting and coming to full pressure for motors so would typically require the VFD to be run in HD mode. This effects the VFD derating, and also the kHz carrier frequency setting as well as single phase input will effect the overall derating of the VFD. VFD manufactures usually have some guidance for their 3 phase input models run off in single phase and it is model specific not brand specific. Fuji VFD are often used because they are reasonably well built and often represent good value. You can also get a bit more headroom when using a DC choke, but it is additional space and cost. The Fuji VFDs, 20hp, 230V, 3 Phase, 60A, Compact Micro Drive FRN0060C2S-2; FD, 20hp (CT), Dual Rated, 60A, 3 Phase, Sensorle FRN0069E2S-2GB, the former may be marginal even though it is rated at 60A. The Hitachi WJ200-150LF would work. I also have used various Yaskawa drives and they need a derating of around 1.7 to run off single phase, I recently tried to order some of their GA500 series which use to be affordable, everyone is out of stock and prices are going up. Other VFD drives are more expensive, and inventory is a real problem these days.

Attachments

• Fuji-FRENICAce-SinglePh-AppNote.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Fuji-FRENICMiniC2-SinglePh-AppNote.pdf
    283.4 KB · Views: 1
A VFD running a compressor motor at full speed, maybe to fill a tank takes 15 minutes.
Then it is just periodic soft-starts and coasts to stop. A 7.5Hp VFD running a 5Hp motor with periods of rest compared to a constantly running motor.
Averages out to same amount of heat as long as the overload is a little higher for the 7.5Hp VFD. I wish.

Another thing is the selection for single phase (230V) input VFD's. Selection is not the word, how about a 2 or 3 unit choice.
Does the rating factor apply the same for a three phase input VFD compared to a VFD with single phase input?
Otherwise I would just go with a three phase input VFD. Don't see an advantage to a single phase input VFD.

Last edited:
In general, the largest commonly available single phase input VFD size is 5Hp, and there are very few models. Beyond this Hp rating, basically you need to go to 3 phase input versions and run them in derated mode. VFD's have different deratings for each model/Hp/voltage rating, so you need to review the specific model similar to what I indicated with the Fuji drives. Many newer VFD's use smaller capacitor banks and require a higher derating due to the increase THD/ripple running off of single phase. Polyspede is the only VFD manufacture that I have seen that has single phase input drives above 5Hp, so the PC1-100 has a 33A output, the only distributor I have seen has been Drives Warehouse. They are out of stock and they cost more then the Fuji and Hitachi drives already mentioned.
https://www.driveswarehouse.com/pc1-100

A compressor may cycle on/off, but at times if you are running high CFM equipment like a sandblaster it may have a much higher on duty cycle. Piston type compressors are usually classified as hard loads for RPC's and VFD's, so not as much a factor of on time as to the current demands.

FRN010G1S-2U Zoro is a 3 phase unit, although they indicate it will run on single phase it is in a derated mode. Don't always believe what websites say, always go back to the source. In general for both Fuji and Teco, the derating factor for single phase input is 0.5 X the rated 3 phase input ratings. The Fuji Mega series indicates it is for HD mode. According to their standard specifications you would need the "025" model, more than 2X the cost of those previously mentioned VFD's. In a manner of speaking there are lots of single phase VFD's bigger than 5 Hp, you just need to derate them to run in single phase.

1659303732561.png

Seems repetitious of what I already posted and no real reason to post the FRN010G1S-2U, but as you like to say RTFM. Oh, forgot, they do not always list the derating there, it is often in the technical bulletin or separate specifications sheet per what was provided. Done with this.

Go back and read the questions:
Another thing is the selection for single phase (230V) input VFD's. Selection id not the word, how about 2 or 3 unit choice.
Does the rating factor apply the same for a three phase input VFD compared to a VFD with single phase input?
Otherwise I would just go with a three phase input VFD. Don't see an advantage to a single phase input VFD.

around here (NYC, NJ, and eastern PA) Dealers Electric in Hillside NJ can't be beat for quality VFDs, and new old stock industrial motors. TECO, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, GE, Marathon etc. they are also very knowledgable and helpful. for the VFDs, shipping won't be an issue, unlike the big motors, so give them a call. non sponsored, just good experience over the years. tell 'em cyanide kid sent you. cheers!
I called them up, but the guy I spoke with never heard of a cyanidekid...

The Teco E510-210-H3-U is the one they sell the most.

"Size" can be in HP as well as centimeters/inches.

I take it that the 10 HP is the VFD and the motor is maybe 10 HP or less.
I'm looking around and see that Hitachi WJ200 has the smallest sizes.

The over current might go away if the VFD is increased from 7.5Hp to 10 Hp. But the margin might be small. It's like a gamble.
I like the looks of this Toshiba 15Hp to widen the failure gap. Looks like the is a revolving encoder wheel to scroll through parameters.
I also noticed that Galco is usually more expensive than competitors.

The 15 Hp version:

The 10 Hp version.

For this 10 Hp one it is $2342 at Galco. $1628 at MRO supply.

Last edited:

Back