What's new
What's new

Viewing photos problem -for PM software people

lucky7

I run an up to date software two year old iPad and cannot see any pics posted in last two days. Older pics come up fine. Can see new pics on new iPhone 12. Software problem on PM’s end?

L7

TNB

Same here

It's been a few years since recent pictures started not to show in threads.
Beeing logged in or not doesn't seem to matter.

thermite

I run an up to date software two year old iPad and cannot see any pics posted in last two days. Older pics come up fine. Can see new pics on new iPhone 12. Software problem on PM’s end?

L7

Could was. PM is run by an advertising outfit. Fair competent one, thankfully.

Even so, there are constantly growing linkages to off-server "entities" that are more and more often BLOCKED by folks who do not want to connect to them.

It isn't usually "PM" that causes that. Those being blocked are simply notorious bad-actors in the wider world at-large.

Apple may have recently added something to their firewalls?

Ex, "locally"

loki2# grep -c 'google' /etc/hosts

I block fifty-three of the google-related entities alone...

Tens of thousands of OTHERS.

Gives me back 90% of my bandwidth otherwise f**ked-up by adverts for stuff I'm not in the market for, and would NEVER purchase from ANY firm that does "push" advertising rather than "pull" advertising, anyway. Bad-example Amazon is on the never-buy list.

"Pull"?

As-in: "Don't bug me. Just have a helpful website. "

We'll find you .....when we need stuff. ELSE NOT. McMaster-Carr is a good example.

Milland

My Firefox (current) browser with an adblocker has been giving me issues with some sites since roughly the New Year. PM hasn't been an issue, but logging on to one CC page and some news sites has been problematic. If you have any extensions in use you might try deactivating them one by one and see if that makes a difference.

thermite

My Firefox (current) browser with an adblocker

Adblockers are akin to hiring sneak thieves to charge admission to OTHER sneak thieves, all the while YOUR 'puter sucks up CPU cycles, RAM and bandwidth to go check their remote criminal records on your resource dime.

Download the bad-actor lists. edit them into your /etc/hosts equivalent. Even lowly WinWoes has one.

Next time an embedded link expects the browser's html rendering engine to follow it?

It locates that resource immediately.. without ever touching the uplink.

Because /etc/hosts sez it is ON your own workstation!

127.0.0.1 googleadservices.com

And 127.0.0.1 . AKA "localhost" just doesn't happen to be RUNNING an html server.. for any of the sixty thousand or so of the worst of the bad-actors!

"See" a dead server? Move on.
No effort, no wasted resources,

ZERO impact on bandwidth.. not even a remote DNS resolver query.. because.... resolv.conf tells YOUR resolver to check "file" first.

No malware from a site you never GO TO, either!