What's new
What's new

Vintage Starrett

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
A curiosity. Over the years family members have gifted me with tools that are more wall hangers than daily drivers. One being a Starrett combination square with a 9" 4R blade and stippled frame . Why 9" and when did Starrett drop the 9" offering"

The others Brown&Sharpe, Lufkin, also made squares in that size, I have a craftsman from the 1950s in that size.
Sometime the 9"size seemed to fall from favor. being I have one, I never have used it either.

A curiosity. Over the years family members have gifted me with tools that are more wall hangers than daily drivers. One being a Starrett combination square with a 9" 4R blade and stippled frame . Why 9" and when did Starrett drop the 9" offering"
This isn't going to narrow it down much, but: My Starrett catalogue number 27, 3rd edition, 1962 shows the 9" blade. The next Starrett catalogue I have is Number 27, 5th edition, 1976, it does not show the 9" blade.

Unfortunately I don't have the 4th edition of catalogue number 27.

David

Thanks guys, perhaps it's as simple as a cabinet maker could carry a 9" combination square comfortably in an apron but not the more common 12".

If I am doing repetitive layout on sheet metal I'll have 2-3 squares pre-set to strike repetitive measurements. There is really no reason to not make use of the 9" Starrett other than habit.

Back