What's new
What's new

VN16 Rebuild

Panza

Hot Rolled
Very interesting to read and look at your pictures. Great job so far!

Do you plan to use oil in the head, instead of the brown grease, when you rebuild ?

alan speyrer

Stainless
4 hours of cleaning! I was in Phoenix halloween weekend, if i had more time i would have like to stop by on my way back to Texas to check out this mill.
I have a Benchmaster vertical mill, its great, but a little small. I would like to find a Van Norman No 12 to replace my Benchmaster.

Cal Haines

Diamond
... Do you plan to use oil in the head, instead of the brown grease, when you rebuild ?
I'll use an ISO VG 68 gear oil. Probably Mobile DTE Heavy-Medium (which I have on hand) or Mobile SHC 626. The Mobile SHC is a full synthetic oil, but it's expensive.

My cutter-head should not have had grease in it. All I can figure out is that someone was used to an older Van Norman miller where either a very heavy oil or a grease could be used.

Alan, Sorry I missed you. Next time you're out this way, please stop by.

Cal

alan speyrer

Stainless
Cal, i have a few friends in Phoenix area, and i know the weather is cooler this time of year, soooo whats the excuse for stopping pics of this rebuild ?:toetap:

Cal Haines

Diamond
Alan,

Thanks for the nudge. It has been cold here recently; it's only going to get up to 69 today. :D

I'm at the point of rounding up all the bearings and seals so I can start putting the cutter-head and gearbox back together. I have a major project that I need to wrap up before I can press ahead with the VN16.

Cal

alan speyrer

Stainless
COLD ? better get your thermal underwear!:eek: It was 30 this am, i think the high will be in the 50's, i am located in North West Texas, 2 hrs south of Amarillo.

Alan,

Thanks for the nudge. It has been cold here recently; it's only going to get up to 69 today. :D

I'm at the point of rounding up all the bearings and seals so I can start putting the cutter-head and gearbox back together. I have a major project that I need to wrap up before I can press ahead with the VN16.

Cal

Panza

Hot Rolled
How is this coming along ? I for one would be very interested in seeing the rest. I really like your descriptions on how to get things apart. It's very useful and educational, especially so for those of us interested in repairing machinery, which probably is the majority in here.

Cal Haines

Diamond
Thanks for the kind words.

I have all of the bearings for the cutterhead and gearbox in hand. I'm almost ready to start putting the top end back together. Other projects seem to keep getting in the way...

Cal