What's new
What's new

Voest Radial Drill

GregSY

Diamond
OK.....here is the Voest radial drill in it's 'fixed-up' state. I bought this drill to save it from getting scrapped; I don't need it and am therefore offering it for sale.

I disassembled the gearbox and replaced a sticky shift rail bushing that was preventing 4 of the drive gears from working. The actual gears and bearings are in very nice shape. All 8 gears work well now, and it also has 3 quill down feeds which also work well. If you reverse the spindle, they become up feeds.

This drill uses a driven oil pump which works well, also.

The vertical column raise/lower screw was stuck; I freed it up, cleaned it, and added a relief groove in the screw to help prevent issues in the future. The gearbox used for this function is in very nice shape, has fresh oil, and works very smoothly. Both vertical and horizontal columns are in nice shape - they are not rusty or damaged.

The original main drive motor was damaged. I adapted a new 2HP motor and made a new driveshaft/coupling to allow it to mate to the gearbox. I also ran new wires from the head to the motor and used a new junction box.

Made in Austria
8 spindle speeds
Powered Up/Down on vertical column
New 2 HP main motor 3 phase 240/480v.
#4MT spindle with fine hand feed and 3 speed feed.
Can be mounted to floor, base, or steel table.
Head rotates 360 degrees about the horizontal column and also 360 degrees about the vertical column.
Estimated weight 1600lbs.

Price is $1000, which is less than I have in it. This drill has a lot of life left in it and would be a great addition to any shop that needs a way to drill large holes. Unlike most drill presses, the rotating head allows easy, rigid angle drilling. Located 77429.

Voest overall .jpgVoest new motor .jpgVoest head final .jpg

Dang, that is a cool drill. If you were within easy driving distance I'd own it. Very few drills have that speed range. What are the power feeds and how large is the column? Is your weight an estimate, or do you know with some certainty? It doesn't look like much iron for that much weight.

The feed rates for the quill seem to be .002/.004/.008" per revolution.

I didn't weigh this drill but it's heavy....when I picked it up with my engine hoist it caused one of the front casters to bend. That resulted in me buying new casters of the heavy-duty variety. This drill has lots of iron and steel in it. I can weigh it...maybe I'll do that later this week.

The columns are right around 7" diameter. The travel is 24" vertical, 24" horizontal.

Spindle speeds are 20-42-84-175 in Low and 340-710-1425-3000 in High.

voest head gears 2.jpgvoest gearbox assembled.jpg

Last edited:
I have original sales literature for this thing somewhere around here.
Need to dig it out and post it asap.
Neighbor gave it to me because I had a Magna drill which was kinda sort of similar, in the broadest sense possible.
This happened many years ago.

What did you end up deciding about the in-and-out cranky thingy ? Does look like a cool drill ...

Actually I never resolved it. I bought several metric gears including one I was 'sure' would fit but none did. Further research needed. The column can be slid by hand so it hasn't been a real hang up, though it does need to be resolved.

I have original sales literature for this thing somewhere around here.
Need to dig it out and post it asap.
Neighbor gave it to me because I had a Magna drill which was kinda sort of similar, in the broadest sense possible.
This happened many years ago.

Please! That would be great. There is essentially zero information online on this drill.

Hi Greg, I posted on your last thread for this machine, but I'll try here too. I was just curious if you might be able to offer a bit of help with an Oerlikon UB2 I am working on, currently it's how the heck I get the motor out of the column. If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks, Trevor

"You mail box is full. Shoot me a message when I can respond. "

I did get your message and I did reply via PM on the 20th.

The gear I thought would work, after all the discussion, was an KHK SS2-12 Module 2 12 Tooth spur gear.

So I ordered two and temporarily attached them to a shaft. Wouldn't fit at all, stopped as soon as the gear touched the rack teeth. So I turned down the gear teeth until I could finally get a little engagement...but it's not a good fit. You can see where the teeth on the rack contact...they look wider than the teeth on the gear...or maybe they need to be on a smaller PD. This is where I stopped due to other projects.voest M2.jpg

Hi Greg, I posted on your last thread for this machine, but I'll try here too. I was just curious if you might be able to offer a bit of help with an Oerlikon UB2 I am working on, currently it's how the heck I get the motor out of the column. If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks, Trevor

Sorry I have not worked on the UB2 so I won't be of much help. I'll lookat mine though and see if I have any ideas. Do you have the manual for it? It has some good pics and exploded diagrams.

I actually just finished reading the manual earlier tonight and didn't see any mention of it, nor could I tell much from the included diagrams. Do you know what the process is like on the Voest, seems like they are probably pretty similar. Was just hoping to avoid pulling the head off before I get the chance to power it up

So my estimate of 1600lbs was off...but not by a ton.

Here is the Voest hanging from the scale...1246lbs. Since the column clamps screws are not installed, I am comfortable in saying it would top 1250lbs.Voest weight .jpgvoest weight lbs.jpg

That's quite the drill. Your last picture there with the cherry picker gives a good sense of scale. It's bigger than it looked in previous pictures.

Back