What's new
What's new

W&S #4 M-1420 repair

Steve97tj

Plastic
I have a Warner & Swasey m-1420 I'm trying to get back running again. Several years ago, someone "repaired" the keyway on the driveshaft of this lathe, as a temporary fix. I think he modified the woodruff key and the keyway in the driveshaft, and over the last few years its started to "flop around" and wore out the keyways. We've had a couple of people who deal with old machines come and look at it, and both have given us a pretty wild estimate of repair cost and pretty much said people don't fix them anymore just scrap it and find another. When we had this machine repaired years back, we ended up finding a 2nd m-1420 that had initially been bought for parts, but was so nice it's now up and running as well.
I'm on the hunt for the driveshaft and possibly the pulley that attaches to it. Does anyone make/keep parts for these things? I tried to reach out to Gahr a few months back when I was rebuilding the tool post but I never heard back from them. image4.jpegimage2 (1).jpegimage1 (1).jpeg

My method of fixing keyways is to fill the flogged out one with weld ,and recut the keyway in sound metal opposite........another alternative is a wide keyway to cut out the wasted metal,and recut in the other part likewise,then make a custom wide key ............Looks like the shaft is somewhat wasted too.,and probably the bore in the pulley.......turn the shaft to clean up,and bush the pulley......if there is sufficient room,a taperlock may be fitted.

That is what I had thought would be the solution, welding shaft back up and cutting a key then some type of taper lock in the pulley. Hopefully I can get back to taking it apart and getting it fixed. We use these things to drill out aluminum sheaves, press a bushing in and then ream the bushing, being a machine from the 40s, even a CNC couldn't do what we mainly use them for any more efficient.
Reached out to Gahr to see if it was possible if they had the parts on hand and they didn't.

I'm not that familiar with this part of the W & S, have been around them and done some work on them many years ago. Like the other posters said, turn the shaft to clean up. Get a taper lock bushing bore to fit the turned down shaft and replace the sheave with one with maybe 3 or 4 grooves. Hundreds of horse power than you will ever use in those old machines! That bearing looks a little crusty, too!

Back