What's new
What's new

WADE 10B (need help on speed adjustment)

miketig

Aluminum
Hello, I know there are a few of you out there that are familiar with this lathe, I have been making parts on it and would like to change speeds other than just using the high and low that I am using at the moment. There is a brass dialer that shows a variation of several different speeds but I have not figure out how to engage them yet. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Please post a photo of your lathe and a close up of the controls. There "should" be FAST-SLOW pushbuttons to vary the speed, but so few 10B lathes were built that every one seems to have been a little different.

Here's a pic that Mike posted in this thread.

MikeT 10b.jpg

Looks to me like the normal 94/98 setup., where spindle rpm is changed by the pushbuttons above the headstock and switched on and off on the headstock.

Mike, maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but that "brass dialer" thing on the headstock is also a switch. Rotary action switches between hi, lo, reverse, brake on and brake off. The drivetrain is powered on and off, spindle rpm is set with the buttons above the headstock, but when operating the lathe, the brass switch is the one to use. The brakes/clutches are quick and should engage almost simultaneously. Pretty quick, and slick once you get used to it.

Thanks Guys, I found the speed adjustment, it turned out to be the lower left hand black vertical switch, above the brass dial, I have been gun shy with those switches in the past not knowing what they do, I didn't want to screw the machine up pressing any of them with the machine running. I still need to figure out what the black switch between the on off switches does. I now have all others on the machine figured out. now it time for the carpenter to go play some more and pretend to be a machinist.
Thanks again !

I still need to figure out what the black switch between the on off switches does.
Thanks again !

Coolant pump on/off? Aren't the controls labeled? They all have been on the three or Wade lathes I've seen or owned. On my Wade 94, all the wires have numbered tags at each end, making troubleshooting easy.

Back