What's new
What's new

Wade 8a Lathe- Should I Buy?

MillCobbler633

Plastic
I’m looking into this Wade 8a Precision Toolroom Lathe and wanted your guys’ opinion on what would be a fair price. It comes with: two jaw four jaw chucks, faceplate, collet adaptor, a set of collets, collet stops, taper attachment, ball turning attachment, live centers, dead centers, drill chuck, and Aloris QCTP with 9 tool holders.
He is asking 3k

Attachments

• A7BFE6CF-7008-469B-8DD6-F2CC2A6BCB0A.png
    A7BFE6CF-7008-469B-8DD6-F2CC2A6BCB0A.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 664CCAC9-33D3-4A37-AB53-E5B32AD033BF.png
    664CCAC9-33D3-4A37-AB53-E5B32AD033BF.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 4AE6EE8E-0A7B-45F3-B239-F4115E613A4A.png
    4AE6EE8E-0A7B-45F3-B239-F4115E613A4A.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 125
  • 1535461B-2BB9-4EFE-8144-F5DAA8D55E61.png
    1535461B-2BB9-4EFE-8144-F5DAA8D55E61.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 87
  • 9E99667D-CD9F-446C-9805-C0DE0EB35B9D.png
    9E99667D-CD9F-446C-9805-C0DE0EB35B9D.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 6ED5F20F-9DE1-45E0-A6DE-D921BF56B240.png
    6ED5F20F-9DE1-45E0-A6DE-D921BF56B240.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 87
You posted it before. Question is whether the machine itself is in good shape.

If in good shape, they are reputed to be good machines, and the tooling is considerably more than most machines have.

At that price you are probably paying around half for the machine and the rest for the tooling, which for Wade , is not found growing on trees. If I wanted a Wade, I'd probably do that deal and not worry.

That is the last model Wade 8A with some rarely seen accessories (those might be metric pick gears). For what's there, 3K probably isn't a bad price if the machine is running well and the bearings are good.

The question is why in particular do you want a Wade? Or would you be better off putting less money into your lathe and saving some toward a milling machine to go with it?

Tom

That is the last model Wade 8A with some rarely seen accessories (those might be metric pick gears). For what's there, 3K probably isn't a bad price if the machine is running well and the bearings are good.

The question is why in particular do you want a Wade? Or would you be better off putting less money into your lathe and saving some toward a milling machine to go with it?

Tom
Not necessarily wanting a Wade, as much as I’m just looking for a decent toolroom lathe. What would serve me better around the 3k range?

As a 8s owner here is my opinion...save it for someone that really wants a Wade. If you have no particular desire to have one maybe another machine will serve you just as well. The Wade is a rare machine and as such I think it needs an owner who will go out of their way to keep it going for the long term. On the other hand don't settle for some junk Asian machine either! And as people always ask: what exactly do you want to do with the machine? That might help guide you in a purchase.

$3k is a decent price for a well tooled, variable speed 8A, provided that it's not worn out. The radius attachments are quite rare, and that one looks like it's got both tool holders.

One important consideration is that this 8A is late enough to have the "Thread Lock" spindle mount, which is Wade's own quick release modification of an A type mount. Tooling is very difficult to find, and fairly complex to make. This machine is already well tooled, but if you find yourself wanting to mount a different chuck, ect in the future it won't be as easy as just opening a catalog.

I am the only source of 8A parts, but stock is getting limited. Many of the more commonly used parts are totally gone (and were when I bought the parts inventory). No. 8 (8W) collets are getting difficult to find as well, but it's not a huge job to convert the spindle to use 5C collets. Most of my No. 8 collet stock is less-needed 32nd and 64th sizes at this point.

As an owner of one of these late model 8a's, I echo Andy's post. Looks like there's enough spindle tooling there to suit.

If it's close by and you'll use it, you certainly won't get hurt at $3K. Rarely do the ways wear out, the front way is very wide. Mine's ex-Navy, dings in the front way, used and abused, still accurate.

I can't think of another small toolroom lathe of that quality for $3K. Maybe someone else can.

Last edited:
A "fair price" is hard to say without looking at prices of other similar machines with similar extras, which are few and far between, so it comes down to if it's a fair price to you.

If it's in good shape and you need/want it then I think that's a good price, in that you'll be hard pressed to find a machine that good with those extras for less money. I want it, and I live in the Northeast where precision tools are plentiful.

Maybe try convincing yourself that it's not a fair price. What are other options that will do what you want for less money? If you don't need the ball turner or taper attachment then they're just stuff that will sit in a cabinet and not extra value. You can get a pretty nice bench mount 9" Southbend for half that price, so if that will do what you want then this one isn't a fair price (for you). If the bed or spindle bearings have too much wear then it's probably not a fair price unless you're looking for a project.

Assuming wear, ect is equal, the Wade is a more substantial machine than a South Bend in pretty much every way. The only real advantage of a South Bend would be ease of finding parts and tooling.

This machine is a piece of junk. Do not buy it. In fact, I am so upset that the seller is attempting to pawn off such a piece of trash to you, that I feel I simply *must* give him a piece of my mind. Please give me the seller's contact information (phone number, email, location) so that I might suitably chastise him.
I don’t know… wouldn’t want him ripping you off too lol

As a 8s owner here is my opinion...save it for someone that really wants a Wade. If you have no particular desire to have one maybe another machine will serve you just as well. The Wade is a rare machine and as such I think it needs an owner who will go out of their way to keep it going for the long term. On the other hand don't settle for some junk Asian machine either! And as people always ask: what exactly do you want to do with the machine? That might help guide you in a purchase.
As of now, my main use would be making custom pins, screws, washers tool holders, and random one-offs. Materials: Brass, Aluminum, Titanium, Stainless, Tool Steel, and Cold/ Hot roll.

Put its value in perspective. Compared to a South Bent 8A, it may be double the price, but it's much better tooled than most used lathes. Unless abused and run with no lubrication, more accurate, more rigid and better built. Offer 2400, you can always go up.

Back