What's new
What's new

Walker Electro Chuck repair question

daryl bane

Titanium
I have a little Walker Electro LBP chuck that came off of a small Harig grinder. The wires coming out of the chuck are in bad shape, but it looks like the chuck is in decent shape and can be taken apart. Is this a project worth doing or is it scrap?

I suspect the wires are soldered in place. with a srewed-in place-on bottom plate you likely will have to seal it waterproof. Take some photos so you can inform us how it went
Q: (Is this a project worth doing or is it scrap?)
definitely a good project even with failure.

Ok, it's not on the immediate to do list as I am in the midst of a move, but I will take a look at it, and it will not be going to the scrapper. Thanks

I have not tried this but wonder if the apparatus works and just the wires seem shabby might you solder new wires externally and use heat shrink material over the joining?
I think it works, just the wires coming out are rotten. I "think" I took it apart a few years ago and forgot about it. I'll do a post on the repair when I get situated.

I did this very thing, bought a nice Walker 6x18 LBP. Wires coming out of it were rotten. Coolant had gotten past the seal/strain relief. I dug out the potting and traced the wires til I came to the original splice. Cut back past that and spliced new wire in. Soldered the joint and heat shrunk. Bought some cheap two part urethane off fleabay and repotted. Laid down a thin layer of Sikaflex 291 between the back plate and the body. I'm standing here watching it go back and forth as I write this. Not a challenging job, and very satisfying when you flick the power switch and the part sticks :)

Back