What's new
What's new

Want to buy European quality multifix size A tool post and holders for Kart E2N 12" toolroom lathe.

Hello Georgie,

there exist just only one producer of Multifix clones in Germany and not more and this is the German company AXA but I read several times that they don´t export (the last company which produced really originals was the company MIVESA in Switzerland and they closed 1984).
If you are o.k. with a clone which is not made in Europe but the only clone on the market which is controlled and tested with originals of the system inventor in Switzerland (J.F.Minder and MIVESA - I also have the copies of the patents), then go to my website www.pewetools.de
Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

Georgie look up SRW-Amestra. They are based in Germany but the actual goods for European market are made in Hungary. I have two of their size B turrets and over a dozen holders. They have proven superbly accurate. Fit and finish is perfect, every bit as good as my Swiss made Mivesa. I purchased mine from Banemo.de and had them shipped to a German address (they do not export) and forwarded to the USA.

AXA which is actually made in Germany is excellent quality and yes they do export (or did at least a few months ago) but be sitting down when you get the price!

I have a size A turret and several holders from PEWE TOOL purchased second hand plus several holders I purchased direct from Peter. They have been very good and I have no complaints.

Hi guys,

I got lucky on was able to aquire the original type A multifix ! I just have 1 tool holder, and am missing the handle to lock it as well as the handle for the tool holder.

I would like to get a few more tool holders, but before i do, the size difference between A and B is huge! I hope this tiny size A will be adequate to fit the lathe.

I posted some pics of the size A versus the size B that is currently on my bigger lathe. Also attached is the size A on my smaller lathe next to its predecessor. Does this seem ok?

Thanks for any replys!

Unfortunately the system doesnt even allow uploads if 1mb from my cell. Ill have to upload them to my computer and try from there...very annoying

Hi guys,

I got lucky on was able to aquire the original type A multifix ! I just have 1 tool holder, and am missing the handle to lock it as well as the handle for the tool holder.

I would like to get a few more tool holders, but before i do, the size difference between A and B is huge! I hope this tiny size A will be adequate to fit the lathe.

I posted some pics of the size A versus the size B that is currently on my bigger lathe. Also attached is the size A on my smaller lathe next to its predecessor. Does this seem ok?

Thanks for any replys!
Size E is between A and B, but I seldom see E parts on eBay. I bought an A set for a new 12" lathe back in 1980 or so and use a riser block under the post. The E set probably would work if I had one. I use 1/2" tool bits in the A holders that can take larger bits. Forty plus years have shown the A set is OK on 12" lathes.

An ordinary metric box end or combination wrench will work on the tool post cam. I have the original A square socket toolholder wrench, but there is probably a metric 8-point socket that fits.

Larry

Bigger isn't always necessarily better with lathe tool posts. Yes it will obviously be more rigid and allow larger tools to be used. But with most 12" swing lathes you won't have the drive motor horse power or overall machine rigidity to take advantage of a larger tool post and tool holder capability. And the larger tool post and all the extra tool holders are going to cost more without any real gain in performance.

In general there's a pretty narrow range for what tool post size to use that still allows enough height adjustment range without the tool holders bottoming out against the top surface of the top slide if it's too large or running out of enough locking support when raising the tool holder if the tool post is too short. Start out by accurately measuring the distance between the top surface of your top slide to the lathes head stock center line. That's the one fixed dimension that can't really be changed. Most of the decent quick change tool post and holder manufacturers will have dimensioned drawings available somewhere showing the range of height adjustment available against the tool post size to help match what your lathe has available. And just as L Vance already said, adding a small riser spacer if there's not quite enough adjustment range should work on about any 12" swing or smaller lathe since most of the specifications for AXA sized tool posts do mention there for up to 12" swing lathes.Secondly and in some cutting operations, those larger tool posts and holders can or might sometimes cause interference issues getting the tool tip in close enough between the tail stock casting, it's quill or a live center. It's for that exact reason qctp's such as the European Tripan design were invented.

Back