What's new
What's new

Wanted Monarch 10EE leadscrew and half nut with closing lever

The Blight

Plastic
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
I have a Monarch 10EE square dial manufacturing variant from 1949 without a leadscrew and I have wanted to add threading capability to it for many years now. I will accomplish this by driving the leadscrew with a servo-motor at the tailstock end of the machine. The apron already has the proper geometries and cutouts for the half nut and lever assembly.

The problem I have is that I live in Norway and there are no parts available here and none of the sellers on ebay are returning my messages regarding international shipping.

What I need is the following:
Leadscrew and Half nut
Complete half nut lever assembly with pinion gears and linkage to the half-nut.
Leadscrew and feed rod end support.

All of these are already listed for sale on ebay, but I cannot buy any of these for one reason or another. The pinion swivel assembly is missing the pinion gear from the looks of it as well. The end support is also listed as local pickup only.

What I was hoping for was that someone here have parted out a machine and are willing to sell these parts. If you have any other ideas please let me know as well. I really don't want to have to make all these parts myself.
 
Have you tried calling Scott at Monarch.
They sometimes have used parts.
Scott is Monarch's traveling trouble shooter .
He has lots of good info.

Hal
 
I did a similar upgrade. I have a 1949 mfg. lathe that did not originally have threading, but as you said, the apron was pre-machined for it. However, there is a bit more to it, this is my recollection of what was involved: In addition to the half nuts, you will need the shaft with the cams to actuate the half nuts, and you will need the lock-out parts (that prevent threading from being engaged when the shift knob is set for forward or reverse feeds). Do you have a hone? The bore for the threading knob shaft is undersized and needs to be honed to fit, and the result needs to be aligned accurately or the half nut engagement will be wonky. On my machine, the knob on the headstock that selects FWD/REV/FEED was not installed, so that also required some additional work. There was a pipe plug in the headstock that needed to be removed, Reverse gears needed to be procured and installed, the shifter needed to be installed and the packing nut around the shifter shaft needed to be installed in place of the pipe plug. Quite a bit of work all said and done.
 
Have you tried calling Scott at Monarch.
They sometimes have used parts.
Scott is Monarch's traveling trouble shooter .
He has lots of good info.

Hal
I have not called monarch yet as I wanted to see if anyone had parts they weren't using. I found a post about Scott retiring. Is he still working on these machines? Should I just contact monarch directly?
 
I did a similar upgrade. I have a 1949 mfg. lathe that did not originally have threading, but as you said, the apron was pre-machined for it. However, there is a bit more to it, this is my recollection of what was involved: In addition to the half nuts, you will need the shaft with the cams to actuate the half nuts, and you will need the lock-out parts (that prevent threading from being engaged when the shift knob is set for forward or reverse feeds). Do you have a hone? The bore for the threading knob shaft is undersized and needs to be honed to fit, and the result needs to be aligned accurately or the half nut engagement will be wonky. On my machine, the knob on the headstock that selects FWD/REV/FEED was not installed, so that also required some additional work. There was a pipe plug in the headstock that needed to be removed, Reverse gears needed to be procured and installed, the shifter needed to be installed and the packing nut around the shifter shaft needed to be installed in place of the pipe plug. Quite a bit of work all said and done.
Those are some great tips! Thank you very much for all the information.
It sounds like you replaced the gearbox as well? I was not planning on touching the headstock or gearbox other than adding a support for the leadscrew. The servo motor will be placed inside the bed at the tailstock end with a belt for power transfer.
The locking cams I knew about, but the lock out parts would be nice to have as well.
 
Those are some great tips! Thank you very much for all the information.
It sounds like you replaced the gearbox as well? I was not planning on touching the headstock or gearbox other than adding a support for the leadscrew. The servo motor will be placed inside the bed at the tailstock end with a belt for power transfer.
The locking cams I knew about, but the lock out parts would be nice to have as well.
Yes, I installed a gearbox from a 60's machine that sat outside a few years. The gears and internal parts were in good shape, but I replaced every bearing in the gearbox, $500 worth of bearings when all was done.
 
Yes, I installed a gearbox from a 60's machine that sat outside a few years. The gears and internal parts were in good shape, but I replaced every bearing in the gearbox, $500 worth of bearings when all was done.
Sounds like a major undertaking! Wish I had the parts to do such a conversion as well. I think I will make a post about the conversion of my machine once I have everything worked out. I have now managed to source the majority of the parts I need.

I must say that this is a really helpful community! There is a wealth of information available here and I just want to say thanks to everyone who is contributing and a huge thanks for some of the generous offers that I have received.
 








 
Back
Top