What's new
What's new

Wanted--one inch arbor for Hardinge TM/UM mill

Superbowl

Cast Iron
Wanted-- one inch arbor for Hardinge UM/TM horizontal mill. I know some of you have installed a vertical head on your mill so maybe you have a horizontal arbor gathering dust that you likely will never use again. Please let me know if you have one you no longer need. Thanks, Dave

L Vanice

Diamond
I have an extra OEM Hardinge one inch arbor. With the arbor in my TM and the overarm in place, the runout at the overarm end of the 1" diameter is about .003". These arbors are not used without the overarm. The three longest spacers are original and the other two are replacements that fit. Spacers and shims with keyways are available in various lengths from MSC and similar places. The Hardinge arbor and original spacers do not have keyways. Remember, the OEM motor is only 3/8 and 3/4 HP, with the 3/8 HP (slow range) setting likely used with horizontal cutters in steel. Note that Hardinge put an oversized keyway in the 5C shank because the collar keys are what connect the arbor to the spindle if friction is insufficient. Home made arbors for these mills usually get that part of the design wrong.

Price $275 including insured shipping in the USA.

Larry

DSC03124 small.JPG

DSC03125 small.JPG

Superbowl

Cast Iron
Hi Larry. Thanks for the offer. However, here is what the last one sold for on Ebay October 30th. Ebay Arbor 2.jpg

I am willing to pay a reasonable price, even a little more than the $103 this one sold for as it was missing the collar but $275 for an arbor with .003 of run out is too much for me. I can always make one with zero run out on my lathe but just want to be a little lazy. Send me a PM if you want to let it go. Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

L Vanice

Diamond
The 7/8" arbors do sell for less than the 1", but I do not have an extra one. In May, 2006, I put a Hardinge 1" arbor on eBay and it sold in less than one day (buy it now) for my asking price of $350 plus shipping. The same buyer bought the 7/8" arbor with no spacers for $150 plus shipping. The pictures are below.

I was trying to give you a break, but you said no. Perhaps someone else will need it. If you are patient, I am sure you will manage to make something that works. I made a collar for one of these arbors once, an exact copy of one of my originals, and it was a time consuming job, worth maybe $200 in labor.

Larry

Mill arbor 1 in 1.JPG

Mill arbor 7-8 in 1.JPG

MCritchley

Hot Rolled
Larry, I’ll take the arbor if the OP passes.

I’m in the middle of re- scraping my TM-UM. That would be a definite nice to have.

L Vanice

Diamond
Larry, I’ll take the arbor if the OP passes.

I’m in the middle of re- scraping my TM-UM. That would be a definite nice to have.
He passed, so it is yours for $275. I will start a "conversation" to let you know my address.

I have some other Hardinge mill tooling, if you are looking.

By the way, there is no such thing as a model TM-UM milling machine. It is one or the other. Hardinge marked the electrical plates on both models TM-UM because the same plate was used on both models. Caused a lot of confusion over the years.

Larry

Last edited:

WERDI

Plastic
He passed, so it is yours for $275. I will start a "conversation" to let you know my address.

I have some other Hardinge mill tooling, if you are looking.

By the way, there is no such thing as a model TM-UM milling machine. It is one or the other. Hardinge marked the electrical plates on both models TM-UM because the same plate was used on both models. Caused a lot of confusion over the years.

Larry
Larry, please send me a conversation of tooling you may have, as I would like to get a couple items for the Hardinge TM...

Thanks, Jared.

bob

Titanium
Hi Larry. Thanks for the offer. However, here is what the last one sold for on Ebay October 30th. View attachment 380763

I am willing to pay a reasonable price, even a little more than the $103 this one sold for as it was missing the collar but $275 for an arbor with .003 of run out is too much for me. I can always make one with zero run out on my lathe but just want to be a little lazy. Send me a PM if you want to let it go. Thanks, Dave
Still waiting for the picture of the one you made