What's new
What's new

Wanted: Rockwell Horizontal Overarm Ram and Arbor Support

StanF

Aluminum
Yeah, I know this will be tough to find, but I'm an optimist! :cheers:

Need the overarm support and the horizontal ram for a Rockwell Horizontal Mill.

The ram is 3.125 OD and about 23" long. The arbor support is a casting that is shown pretty well in the attached photos.

I'm located in Texas, so hopefully local. Or someone who is willing to ship.

22318-1-z - Copy.jpgarbor support bracket pic.jpgarbor support bracket pic1.jpg

Good luck on your search. I tried and failed to find them so I made them.
3.250" turned down and a 2" slab reshaped ,with a bronze bearing and a gits oil cup.
If you go this route. I went with 24". It works but an inch or 2 more would keep the bar completely in the back clamp when changing arbors.
20240603_193245.jpg20240603_193255.jpg

Hydraulic repair shops could be a source for a rod @ that size that was replaced during a ram rebuild .
animal

Good luck on your search. I tried and failed to find them so I made them.
3.250" turned down and a 2" slab reshaped ,with a bronze bearing and a gits oil cup.
If you go this route. I went with 24". It works but an inch or 2 more would keep the bar completely in the back clamp when changing arbors.
View attachment 442121View attachment 442122
Nice work! Machining a replacement was my first thought, but I'm also considering making a pattern for a casting. More for fun than for improved function. Thanks for the tip on the ram length!

Where did you find the steel? I've been looking, but it's about $200 or more for a new, solid round 3.25 OD.

3-1/8" should be available in TGP or chromed hydraulic rod, I may have some in cold finished, but TGP would be a lot nicer.
Your local steel yard won't be too eager to get you any at your needed length, try online sales, machine shops or hydraulic shops. ( eBay too)

At 26.1 lbs per foot, $100.00 per ft is pretty close to normal for new 4140. Hot finished Q&T should be less expensive if you don't mind machining it to size.

On that support, custom is likely your best option.

Nice work! Machining a replacement was my first thought, but I'm also considering making a pattern for a casting. More for fun than for improved function. Thanks for the tip on the ram length!

Where did you find the steel? I've been looking, but it's about $200 or more for a new, solid round 3.25 OD.
At the time I was searching there was a support bracket on Ebay... and the buy it now price was nearly $100 with shipping.
I got the steel from a local shop. The local Home Shop Metal Club worked out a deal .. They offer a discount to Valley-Metal members.
In pre zombie apocalypse era it cost me just under $100 for the 2 hunks of metal.
On other thing to think about...is arbors.... the 3 I bought new came from Sears or Kmart online. They were from Poland and were in the $40 to $50 each range. The bad part about that was it seemed like they walked to the US from Poland. 4 plus months as I recall. The new 7/8, 1, 1 1/4 arbors worked with the older tooling I have hoarded over the years...

Unfortunately new Chinese involute gear cutters are 22 MM. I bought a used arbor and turned it to 22mm to use with the new cutters. Which are hit and miss for usability. Even in the same set.
20240605_211414.jpg

Thinking about my Rockwell reminded me where it came from.
Who knows how many years it was the sign for Moore tools until they left the Virginia address.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.476...01T000000!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Thank you John

Last edited:
That's an awesome sign! I guess it's dry enough in Phoenix that it didn't damage the machine.

I picked up a couple of arbors already - 1" and 7/8". Both new from Poland. One was from KBC and the other from eBay. They aren't cheap ~$200 each, but they are available. And they come with spacers, nut, etc.

I might turn down the 7/8 to 22mm, so thanks for that tip. Or bore out the cutters? I've got a ways to go before I get to that point!

Is a 1-1/4 arbor useful? I guess it depends on the cutters that you have. I might try making one for fun. I've also seen people use a CAT 30 Endmill holder to make the arbor machining easier and faster. So, I could try that technique too.

That's an awesome sign! I guess it's dry enough in Phoenix that it didn't damage the machine.

I picked up a couple of arbors already - 1" and 7/8". Both new from Poland. One was from KBC and the other from eBay. They aren't cheap ~$200 each, but they are available. And they come with spacers, nut, etc.

I might turn down the 7/8 to 22mm, so thanks for that tip. Or bore out the cutters? I've got a ways to go before I get to that point!

Is a 1-1/4 arbor useful? I guess it depends on the cutters that you have. I might try making one for fun. I've also seen people use a CAT 30 Endmill holder to make the arbor machining easier and faster. So, I could try that technique too.
I thought about boring and maybe broaching the cutters and decided to alter one arbor instead of every new cutter I might want or need.
The 1 1/4 arbor was bought for a collection of larger cutters.... The projects I do just havent needed much big stuff. It has been used a couple times.

I bought the Rockwell cause it uses the same tooling as my Famco . 2 mills one set of tool holders, drill chucks and boring heads.
The few times I have used regular NMTB30 tooling in it have all been nice. I havent needed to line up a couple right angle plates to hold stuff on the Famco... just clamp it on the Rockwell and go to town...

Back