What's new
What's new

Wanted: Small-ish Optical Comparator

UtahTechFabLab

Plastic
Hi Y'all,

I'm looking for a gently used optical comparator in good condition for our university's engineering manufacturing lab. The ideal machine would be a Mitutoyo PH350 or 351 with a DRO (or good manual micrometer dials), but I'm open to other reputable brands.

I can spend some money, but not as much as a new unit is worth and perhaps not as much as a good used unit would be worth. I have $24,000 to buy everything for a metrology lab, and I'm trying to find the best possible equipment I can for our students given the budget that I have.

The Criteria:
We can only buy from businesses, not individuals.
We need an official paper quote and (after the order is placed), an invoice.
We are discouraged from paying for things before we actually have them in our possession. If possible, you would need to accept a PO, which is a legally binding document stating that we will pay $X upon receipt of the goods sold. We are an $80M/year state university with abundant references.
We can only send payment via credit card or ACH (direct deposit).
We need to be set up as tax exempt, I can provide our exemption certificate.

Sorry that's kind of a lot... the government makes it really difficult to buy things sometimes.

Thanks for your time!

Tell them to double or triple your budget. Micro vu makes some stuff that’s better than old optical comparators. I wouldn’t want a manual optical machine in my shop but they make them new for around 17k. Micro Vu machines would also have applications for other classes as well.

I wouldn’t want a manual optical machine in my shop
Or you can have the worst of both worlds. I have a MicroVu 500 (I think). It's a teensy weeny manual optical comparator. Of course, used it didn't cost me $17K USD, even with the LED flashlight upgrade (a substantial upgrade) for the illumination source.
Actually, for part features within the reach of 1" or 2" dial indicators, I don't mind the all-manual aspect at all.

He's going to have a problem, because a lot of the good prices on these things are at auctions. Auctioneers don't take purchase orders :(

You are correct on all of that. At the same time for a classroom setting new stuff would likely be better. Many of us on this forum will buy an older machine because we know how to fix them, they will make money, we have spare equipment and the new equipment is only marginally better.

But in a class room if the equipment breaks the students are out of luck. Plus they should be leaning the new stuff. For my parts an optical comparator won’t do the job. Get a new optical machine and sell the dean on its applications for not only your class but the other classes offered.

Whatever you purchase, if it's used make sure you inspect it yourself 100% once installed, both the physical condition and all functionality.

We had a nasty experience last year when The Boss bought a larger CCP from what he thought was a reputable CCP partner. Was supposed to be in great shape, if not refurbished, but showed up with a damaged glass protractor and clear evidence elsewhere no one had refurbished anything.

It ended up being returned

Hi Y'all,

I'm looking for a gently used optical comparator in good condition for our university's engineering manufacturing lab. The ideal machine would be a Mitutoyo PH350 or 351 with a DRO (or good manual micrometer dials), but I'm open to other reputable brands.

I can spend some money, but not as much as a new unit is worth and perhaps not as much as a good used unit would be worth. I have $24,000 to buy everything for a metrology lab, and I'm trying to find the best possible equipment I can for our students given the budget that I have.

The Criteria:
We are discouraged from paying for things before we actually have them in our possession. If possible, you would need to accept a PO, which is a legally binding document stating that we will pay $X upon receipt of the goods sold. We are an $80M/year state university with abundant references.

Sorry that's kind of a lot... the government makes it really difficult to buy things sometimes.

Thanks for your time!
I have about 3 Oasis vision systems that are superior to the comparator if you are interested. Also have some Deltronics with the Quadracheck DRO. The Deltronic will be available next month as I'm waiting for my new Mitutoyos to come in.

I have about 3 Oasis vision systems that are superior to the comparator if you are interested. Also have some Deltronics with the Quadracheck DRO. The Deltronic will be available next month as I'm waiting for my new Mitutoyos to come in.
You can also check out the Automatics and Machinery website. Ask for Alyssa Beck or Kristen Reeves.

Hi Y'all,

The Criteria:

Thanks for your time!
Feel free to contact me. I have the metrology you may be looking for. [email protected]

Back