What's new
What's new

Wanted - Small Shaper - anywhere in the NE area

Whalerman

Plastic
All -
I've been bitten by the shaper bug. Looking for one that's either all there and needs a new home, or one that needs minor repairs. Rather small is where I'm headed - around 7" - need to manhandle this through my house and down (wooden) stairs.
I've read and watched enough articles and videos on them to have a sense of what they are and aren't good for. I also know that frankly I don't need it, as I'm a home shop / cellar / hobby machinist - and my interest isn't in making money with one. But winter is here, and I was thinking I'd love to do a little refurbishing, and learn how to use something that's kind of interesting.
I suspect there are people out on the forum that might have had a similar idea a while ago and gotten one, or that used one in their shop for a while, but floorspace requirements might dictate moving on. Or maybe you know of one that someone owns but isn't partial to anymore.
Not looking for an already-restored "trailer queen". Near-operative, with only minor issues, or fully operative is OK. Older the better. Dirtier the better. Slightly worn down is even OK - I'm not doing things in the microns...
Just looking for something to goof around with - something to show people when they stop in - and also something that will mean I no longer have to file key ways... :-) Names I've researched that seem to suit the bill are ones from South Bend, Rhodes, Ammco, Delta Rockwell, and the A name amongst others. I suspect there are brands and models I haven't yet come across that might be interesting as well!
I live near Boston, and figure a drive of up to 4 hours might work for me.
So if you have one, or know of one - just PM me, or feel free to reply here - I'll get in touch, and we can at least talk.

Good luck. I’ve been looking too, almost got a southbend shaper but it was missing some parts/covers so I hesitated and bam! It was gone

I'll pass on my experiences. I have had hands on time with Aamco/Delta, South Bend, and the "A".

I would suggest holding out for a South Bend, if you cannot find something even more solidly built.
Uses Acme Threads on the feeds, has a lube pump, and generally is a little better built than the others.
They tend to be priced accordingly, both for name recognition, and for build quality, if in comparable across the board condition.
I had a South Bend, which I got as part of a clear-out deal, and which I gave to a good friend.

I have an Aamco in my basement, that I bought from Plaza Tools while Joe Bergamo was still around. It uses a large fiber/phenolic bull gear, which can be a failure point. There is at least one guy making replacements. To add complication, for the Home guy, it is a helical gear, so it runs quieter, but that makes it that much more a PITA to reproduce or repair, without gear cutting equipment. It uses Vee threads for the lead screws, not as durable as Acme, but easy to reproduce at home too. Well, slightly easier than Acme Threads, which I don't think are all that hard to cut.
The accessories for the Aamco have a proprietary mount, being as they have a bolt protruding from the bottom by which they attach to the table.

The "A" machines are a far step up from their lathe counterparts in heft and general build, but they do have a few pieces of pot metal about the place, used as gears or handles. Find one in good shape and you won't be disappointed, I think. The Factory cast legs for it are quite elegant looking too.

Whatever you do find, keep an eye on ebay for tooling, or be prepared to make it as you see fit. Stuff like holders for small cutting bits to do keyways inside gears, etc. If you want to 'collect the whole set' be prepared to part with some serious dough, as stuff like the South Bend Rotary table, for instance, draws down some pretty high bids.
I would suggest that condition be pretty much your key factor in deciding, followed rapidly by what tools and accessories it has with. It's well worth paying a little bit more to get the added stuff that is really hard to track down separately, I think.

Best of luck in the search!

Cheers

I have an A-brand 7B that could be available... in northern NJ. In respect of the forum rules on this kind of machine, PM me if you're interested.

A teaser:

atlas - 1.jpg

Gustafson -
Thanks for the notes - yes, I've seen the ad for the equipment in Lynn. Just as you said - a little too rich for my taste. I paid less for my Clausing 8525 mill (which included rotary tables, vices, tooling galore) than they're asking...
Homebrewblob -
I hope we both end up with something we're looking for!!!
Trevj -
Thanks a lot for the detailed thoughts. I really appreciate the thinking around tooling. Of the ones I've looked at (remotely) there has certainly been a gap in that area.
Brandenberger -
About to eat dinner (!) but I'll send you a PM later this evening or tomorrow. Might be a little outside of my radius - but who knows!!!

- Paul

I would suggest holding out for a South Bend, if you cannot find something even more solidly built.
Uses Acme Threads on the feeds, has a lube pump, and generally is a little better built than the others.

I believe the early 7" Southbend did not have a lube pump.
The later ones with the wide flared base does.

Mike

I have a very nice Logan 7” I have been thinking about parting with. It’s a nice little shaper but a little small for what I want. I would really like to trade for a little bigger one. I missed a 11” Sheldon a couple of years ago that I should have owned.

I have a very nice Logan 7” I have been thinking about parting with. It’s a nice little shaper but a little small for what I want. I would really like to trade for a little bigger one. I missed a 11” Sheldon a couple of years ago that I should have owned.

How much good sir?

Again, thanks all for the replies!!! Still have my ear to the rail...

RustyIronism -
Thanks for that - I'd watch a few videos online, and caught that difference - but I'm sure there are others reading the thread that might not have caught that! And a comment I'd read that the narrower shaper might lose some accuracy when the knee moves off the shelf (if it even does - not sure!!!)...
True Temper -
Kansas is outside of my pickup radius, but I hope if you decide to sell someone gets it! And by the way, why do we pronounce the kansas in Arkansas differently than we pronounce Kansas? :-)
Frank R -
Thanks for sharing - I'd found yours through a search of CL / Facebook Marketplace, but driving distance is too much - maybe it would tempt Homebrewblob? :-)

Happy holidays everyone!

How about a Shape- Rite 8 inch in running condition? Currently located near Frederick, Maryland. I can send a short video.

I have a Gemco 20" Standard Duty that I'd like to sell. I honestly have no idea what to do with it. It is in a building we just purchased in Winchendon Ma. I don't believe that it would be able to move down a flight of stairs, maybe once, really fast....

Discodan -
Thanks so much for the offer. I think Maryland might be outside my driving radius (although lots of people had great things to say about the Shape Rite!)... maybe if things don’t pan out locally, I’ll jump in! Definitely post a video - never know if you might find a buyer!
DWHagel -
I wish I had a big enough shop (or one on ground level!) to take advantage of the offer. Thanks for sharing!!! Maybe you’ll find a connection via your post!
Happy Holidays everyone!!!
- Paul

Rusty's correct about the earlier models of South Bend shapers not having the built in oil pump.And the narrow verses wide casting shape indicates the models with or without that pump.Unfortunately shapers at least the smaller one's seem to have attracted the attention of a growing number of collector types with fairly deep pockets. I've watched selling prices roughly double in the past 10-15 years. One thing to consider when buying any model of shaper is that it was designed from the start to use a front support foot on the table. Not all makes do have that at least on some of the earliest models. When I bought my SB I didn't then know enough to realize they did in fact make two distinct early and late models. Pure luck that I did buy the later model. And while that built in oil pump should ensure you get a machine that was oiled properly and often enough, it's still not a guarantee. The SB oil sumps aren't immune to chips and the usual shop dirt. There oil pumps are about as simple as they get, but if the pump intake did get plugged or they were run long enough without oil scored ways are the next result. So at least closely checking the ram way's is a good idea. Many of these small shapers were once in high school shop classes so getting proper maintenance might not have been a high priority. Any shaper bought today I think I'd expect to do a full tear down and cleaning at the minimum. Used parts are available on places like Ebay but carry a fairly high premium now. So if your buying one I wouldn't consider a less than complete machine unless it was almost free. And that includes getting the proper OEM vise. It's not unusual at all to see $400 prices for a SB vise. Small shapers are now I think well over priced for what they really are, there still worth double or triple that just by parting them out.

In hind sight the 7"-8" sized shapers are pretty small and limited. And there small size almost always comes with that home shop level price. If I had to do it over and had the room, I do think buying a bit larger machine with the universal table option some of the tool room shapers had would be the better idea. That allows angle cut's to be made by tilting the table in either one or two directions. Afaik you'd probably not find that on a less than 12" or larger shaper though. There much less common in North America, but the 10" and larger British made Elliots would be on my list as well. The German made Gacks were also supposed to be very good if one were to turn up. But again the less common the machine the more important it is to find one without missing or damaged parts. I'd also be checking the drive system on any shaper I was buying. It's not all that uncommon for a serious crash to shear gear teeth off the bull gear.

I got a 7” brand name that shall not be uttered. It’s in pieces. Looks like the pieces are in pretty good shape. Upstate New York. You can have it for a hundy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellardoor7 -
I’ll be PMing you asap - sounds like exactly what I’m looking for!!!
Iazz -
Too far for me - hopefully a western member can make it work. And nice to talk with you again - we’d talked about your gears!!!
- Paul

Back