What's new
What's new

Wanted to buy, Leonard Grind-R-Lap

I bought a new Baldor carbide grinder about 45 years ago when I began using carbide tools.

Then I got a good used Leonard Grind-R-Lap and cleaned and painted it. I liked it better than the Baldor for most work. A few miles from me, Continental Diamond Tool, New Haven, IN, made me a pair of laps for it using my steel rings. Worked great for brazed carbide and extending the life of inserts. I very seldom use the Baldor anymore. The Baldor is single phase, so no way to slow it down with a VFD.

Then, years ago, I got a new Glendo Accu-Finish and stopped using the Leonard. After using the Accu-Finish, I stopped looking at carbide grinders, though I did buy a spare Accu-Finish to get the additional wheels it had.

I turned the Leonard on just now and noted the lateral motion is not working (it used to). Maybe I will turn it over and look in the bottom to see what got stuck.

Larry

Mine is a 'Kool Karb' branded unit and has a lever on the side for turning the lateral motion on or off.

My Ohio grind-r-lap machine showed up today, it looks good though there is some assembly required and I will likely look at that this weekend., Thanks Mike

The other one is heading this way from Oregon and should be here in a couple of days.

My Ohio grind-r-lap machine showed up today, it looks good though there is some assembly required and I will likely look at that this weekend., Thanks Mike

The other one is heading this way from Oregon and should be here in a couple of days.

Glad it made it, assembly is two pins and bolt as I recall. The light included wasn't wired up. Hopefully you are happy with it.

I decided to clean up and paint them, I started with this one as it has a light that is cute as a bugs ear, I'll get to the other one soon but it is working as is . I need new tires for the osilating wheels, I am hoping there is a radiator hose that will work.
IMG_4500.jpgIMG_4513.jpgIMG_4514.jpgIMG_4499 (1).jpgIMG_4498.jpg

I was trying to wrap my head around how the oscillating feature worked for a while, but couldn't find any good pics. I think I finally get it. The rubber lined eccentric wheel is pushed against the wheel rotating assembly and causes the whole drive unit to pivot side to side, relying on the friction of the rubber to prevent slippage between the two wheels. Do I have it right?

I was trying to wrap my head around how the oscillating feature worked for a while, but couldn't find any good pics. I think I finally get it. The rubber lined eccentric wheel is pushed against the wheel rotating assembly and causes the whole drive unit to pivot side to side, relying on the friction of the rubber to prevent slippage between the two wheels. Do I have it right?
Yea pretty much. There is a lever that allows you to disengage the wheels. One of these days I’ll get in there to fix the wheels on my little unit. Someday…

This is a pretty old thread, but I saw where someone had a manual. Any chance of scanning and posting it? I just bought one of these and would like to get it going. Mine is missing the fence, but from the above pictures it looks relatively easy to make. Not much info out there on these machines.

Back