What's new
What's new

Wartime Monarch lathe with severe wear. Scrap, part out, or regrind.

ichudov

Hot Rolled
I have an opportunity to acquire, in a complicated transaction, a wartime Monarch lathe (and an Axelson lathe also). The Monarch is approximately 16 by 36 inches (sic).

The condition of the Monarch can only be described as "severely worn".

I have three alternatives, all profitable:

1) Scrap the entire machine, sans compound slide and tailstock, which I could try to sell.

2) Keep the machine, part out into handles, gears etc, and scrap the rest

3) Pay someone for a bed/cross-slide regrind and sell as "new rebuilt".

This last option is what I would like to explore. How much would it cost to regrind and moglice the 16x30 Monarch? What about 16x54 Axelson?

Transportation is not at all a problem, it is actually easy for me. I just want to know what is the ballpark for a rebuild.

Emotionally, I would like to save this Monarch, but I want that to make financial sense. I have the money for a :regrind investment", but I am not sure if it would pay off for real.

Any opinions will be most welcome.

Thanks

i
i

i

You didn't include anything about the condition of the rest of the machine such as the headstock, QC gearbox and so forth. Are you going to spend $$$$ to recondition the bed and other slides and then wind up having to replace gears, bearings etc.

Tom

The real answer is that I have no idea about their condition and cannot find out until possession.

Let's suspend our disbelief and assume that the gears and such are in a good condition. What would the costs possibly be under this assumption? I do realize that different people will make me different quotes, but still, I want to have an idea.

Thanks

i

I wish I could give you a more direct answer as to the cost of regrinding your lathe but, since I can't, here's a link to a thread on this site with some quotes.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/way-grinding-shop-143561/

It looks like he was quoted between $300 and $1500. You will still have to figure in costs like having Turcite put on the tailstock to bring it back up to center, Turcite on the carriage to keep the leadscrew in alignment(or I suppose you could mill a little off the apron) and then have it scraped in.

To do the work you outlined is anywhere from 2000-more than double that, will you ever be able to sell a 70 year old modest size lathe for a nice profit, probably not. There was a early 1940's Monarch 22M with a long bed 150+ inches that was desirable because of the bed length, it sold for around 4000. It was in reasonably good shape. Unless you want to do the work on the lathe for your own use and satisfaction it is a losing proposition IMHO.

Steve

To do the work you outlined is anywhere from 2000-more than double that, will you ever be able to sell a 70 year old modest size lathe for a nice profit, probably not. There was a early 1940's Monarch 22M with a long bed 150+ inches that was desirable because of the bed length, it sold for around 4000. It was in reasonably good shape. Unless you want to do the work on the lathe for your own use and satisfaction it is a losing proposition IMHO.

Steve

Steve, sad, but true, you are most likely right.

What about part out though, do you think that there is hope that someone may need those gears, handles, leadscrew etc?

i

ichudov
I'm in need of some headstock gears for a 12" monarch. If the one you're posting about is a 16" - actual swing 18.5", the gears will be too big. If it's a 14" - actual swing 16.5", I don't know - they may be the same as in the 12"head. Worth checking if you do part out...

ichudov
I'm in need of some headstock gears for a 12" monarch. If the one you're posting about is a 16" - actual swing 18.5", the gears will be too big. If it's a 14" - actual swing 16.5", I don't know - they may be the same as in the 12"head. Worth checking if you do part out...

Thanks. I will bring it into my factory tomorrow. I will know then

Igor

The weirdest experience today. The Monarch had a few handles broken and a little too much wear. So I scrapped it, having taken the compound and tailstock off.

Listed the compound on ebay and it sold in about 4 minutes!

i

I scrapped the Cincinnati horizontal mill and the Monarch lathe, afer taking off a few parts.

I did not scrap the Axelson, it is a great 15 HP lathe and it seems to work fine. I already powered it with my 460 volts.

i

Back