What's new
What's new

Way OT: Why does everyone act like I need to have a girlfriend?

Webley91

Cast Iron
Admin: Please delete this thread if it's too far OT.

Just something I was wondering earlier at work after being asked for the untold time.

I am a 22yr old guy and have never been in any sort of relationship. I prefer it this way, with working full time since i was 17, I have enough to worry about already. I have absolutely no want or need to make life any more complicated than it already is. I now rent my room at my parents house, due to the ridiculously high costs of living in London. Therefore, I also don't need any more unnecessary expenses on top of what I already have.

I see some friends of mine who have girlfriends. They have ended up with them running their lives and spending their money. This is even though they aren't even married or have any kids yet. I am definitely not falling into this trap.

My younger brother has recently started a relationship with a girl from his college. I mentioned "my brother's girlfriend" in passing during a conversation with one of the guys at work. He then said "so why don't you have a girlfriend", and I told him that I wasn't really bothered. I was looked at with an expression of shock when I said this. I seem to get asked the same question a lot, and give the same answers. I then have to proceed to explain it to whatever person is asking.

This also happened earlier in the year with the receptionist at work. She said to me "so what are your plans for valentines day?" as I was leaving work. I replied "it means nothing to me, to be honest I think it's just a pointless marketing scam". She looked surprised and said "So...don't you have a girlfriend then...why's that?"

I get asked the same thing by work colleagues, friends I still see from high school and anyone else I know. What annoys me about it the most is that they act like it's their business, and like me not being interested actually affects them in some way.

Any opinions? (Or maybe I'm not making any sense).

Isn't there some joke about having a wife and a mistress? You tell the wife you're with the mistress, you tell the mistress you're with the wife, and you spend your time in the shop/laboratory.

one way to shut up the lady at work would be the answer " my boyfriend would not like that very much....." but opens you up to a whole new kind of rumor.....

Found it:

Engineer, Wife or Mistress

An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress.

The architect said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship.

The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery he found there.

The engineer said, "I like both.""Both?"

Engineer: "Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done!

A girlfriend helps to keep one from sliding into weird sub-cultures, like dwarf cars and making miniature guns and engines. At least mine keeps me out of that terrible cycle.:D;)

Why are they puzzled? You cannot easily be put into a standard 'box', then safely ignored.
Those who worry HARD may even assume the worst. Hiding a cannibalism fetish, abducting small children, getting it on with animals. Collecting dried pancakes and staring at them for hours. Wotever.

You missed hornets nests.... Swedish Man 'Dies After Having Sex With Hornet?s Nest' - IBTimes UK :D

I get the same thing Webley... Usually the reply after you say you are single is... "What are you a fucking ************ or something"

Such is life... Most people do not understand, and do not want to understand...

Like has been said - they can't put you in a box.

You're shall we say - ''a late starter'' don't worry, wwhen you do you'll have a lotta fun making up for lost time. :D

Why? As you get older you'll realize that people are generally A-holes. That's why. If you had a girlfriend, they'd be asking you when are you getting married? If you were married, they'd be asking you when are you having kids? Usually after that they stop asking because by then they figure you are as fucked as they are, so they feel content.

You could always answer "I don't really need a girlfriend, I spend enough time already boning your wife." That will usually cause inquisitive people to become offended people which usually means they will increase their separation from you which is what you want anyway.

I've yet to find a Gen X girlfriend that can cook at all and doesn't have starting arguments as a hobby. On a side note all of my friends, male and female who rushed out and got married young are now divorced. They treated marriage like it was a game of musical chairs and rushed into it. Sounds like you are just getting exposed to other people's expectations about what you should do.

I get the same thing Webley... Usually the reply after you say you are single is... "What are you a fucking ************ or something"

I get asked the same Q, to which my answer is a ''thoughtfull'' looking and sounding 'I don't know,...... what's one of those?' ;)

At 22 years old you shouldn't have a girlfriend.

At that age your supposed to be doing the variety pack thing, so you taste all the flavors and get a feel for what you want for the long haul.

I highly recommend college girls and/or strippers. Either way they're ready for booze and action..Win! Bonus with these two categories, no call required the next day.

When a cute girl asks you why you do not have a girl friend you should ask her if she is offering to be one. Sometimes the answer will be yes.
I never have the nerve but when someone in a store asks you if they can help find something...tell them you are looking for your girlfriend/wife. then ask them if they are single!
Bill D.
Married in Modesto, ca USA

Fifty years of give and take went by April 20. I would do it again, with the same lady, in a New York Minute.

Attachments

• JohnCarolineSD Sep 06.jpg
    JohnCarolineSD Sep 06.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 695
Because the right woman is awesome.

The wrong woman, brings worries, money problems, ulcers, alcoholism, stress related warts and hemmorhoids, and your friends and family hate your guts because you are
so stupid, and she had caused them money problems also.

A REALLY GOOD woman, its f'n awesome, and they take some looking to find. None are ever going to be perfect, they may like to conserve water and leave dried piss rings in the
toilet or get crumbs on the couch or like a softer mushy bed than you do.

But for the shit that really matters, its not a chore, its a compliment. You really aren't doubling your problems, she takes half of yours, you take half of hers and like they
say two heads are better than one, so your total problem pile of BS actually gets smaller.

I swore off woman for almost 8 years, a little thing here and there, but.... Except for the plumbing, I hated everything about them, "You've been done dirty" I was told.

And then something happened, and something happened and I now have the coolest old lady in the world. There is some effort involved, because I try to do good things
for her, and she does the same for me, its just flat out awesome.

Having a girlfriend that sucks just so that you have a girlfriend, F* that, you are better than that.

A woman doesn't complete you, they compliment you. You'll never know unless you put yourself out there, and getting laid regular, pretty nice, but its
really only a small part of it.

And here is my awesome woman, a pic she sent me last week while she was up in Denver for her Grandmothers funeral. (Its not always fun).

And those aren't gang signs, she's showing off her new antique jewelry.

8749287420_a9df9d94ff_c.jpg

Back