What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

1976 was the first year for (Bosch) fuel injection on the Datsun 280Z. I purchased one in '86, my first car during college, and it ran like a Swiss watch.

The 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z looked identical on the outside (all just two-seaters), with the only differences being CC's (2.4L, etc.) of displacement, and fuel delivery. The 240's and 260's had three carburetors feeding the inline-6 motor!

My 810 was really a 240Z with a station wagon body. It had a solid rear axle and a two piece drive shaft. Other then that they were the same under the skin. Over the years the name changed to Maxima and it went front drive. For awhile Datsun/Nissan made no sports cars and the factory bought up old Z cars, did frame off restorations, then sold them at the dealerships.
BilL D

The 2+2 started with the 260, I remember they looked funny
The 240Z killed every other sports car, fast pretty and reliable, not something really available before. Oh, and cheap
Not sure you really regret selling it, they really, really did rust badly

Not in California!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Still a few shops around here specializing in the old Z cars.

Had a chance to buy a Z (can't remember which model) that had an auto transmission. Very low miles and cheap from a co-worker, not sure why I wasn't interested at the time. Would have been a great car to have

Thank you, that made me laugh out loud :)
If you ever get a chance try driving a new Cadillac. They took what GM half assed on and made it much better. Sure there are different vehicles. But there is something nostalgic and American about driving a Cadillac. If you know you know. If you dont nobody is pressuring you.

A family member owned a service shop forever- Saabs and Volvos.

He had the pitch down pat.
“If you are not committed to give your Volvo the care it required you should not purchase one.”

He neatly shamed clients to not be cheap or lack the substance to own a fine car.

We always shook our heads as the Hondas we owned would run circles around his rides and did it with no cash burned.

Cars if required to be status symbols required you in turn pay for that image….

Nails it

Let's face it, 'mericans buy cars for image. Trucks, Prius', Vettes, Caddys
I actually think the newer Caddys are decent looking cars.
never wanted a Vette, but those Caddy/Vettes are interesting if only because you never see them

If you ever get a chance try driving a new Cadillac.
You is preachin to da choir, brotha (a-men ... a-men. A-men amen amen, sing it ovah ... can you hear sidney singin' ? and the nuns ?)

IMG_1680.jpg

I have a long and happy association with them caddylacks, starting in high school (anchorage) when Mark Sells' dad had a 59 which we'd take out drinking, then head to the parking lot and get 'er up to about 30 or 40, lock up the wheels, throw 'er in reverse then gun it. She'd spin and spin forever ....

Or later on in SF, a friend's dad was a small bank veepee, we'd borrow the Calais to go jumping off the hills on gough street. She jumped better than she landed :)

Then I had a '67 Eldo ... too cool, what with the helicopter landing pads fore and aft. Pull up at a stop light, look left at the next lane over, you were slightly behind the rear tires of just about anything :)

I totally agree, Caddylacks is wonderful. But what made me laugh -- in 2022 Caddy made and sold 194,000 cars in China. In the US, 135,000. That's what, almost 50% more ? I don't have 2023 numbers and 2024 isn't over, but there's Caddies on the streets all over. They sell pretty good. Tried to get the assist to buy one but she said, "boy's car" so she bought a macan instead. It's rounder, I guess. Anyway, people like them okay. Better than amurricans do.

Just like Buick (over 800,000 sold), without China Caddy and Buick would both go wherever Pontiac and Oldsmobile went. Maybe some nostalgic field of memories in the sky ? Total for GM was 2.9 million cars in ... lemme look ... 2021. That was a slow year, if you remember. No idea what it is this year.

But you know what ? This mouth-diarrhea from Let's Go and his butt-buddy Tony ? It's not going to do any good for companies like Ford and GM and Caterpillar and Abbot Laboratories and a whole bunch more. I know this will come as a shock to many, but Chinese people do not enjoy being smeared and lied about. They have other choices. Here's another little thing I noticed : it's easier to find alternate sources for pork and chicken feet and soybeans than it is to find more buyers for Buicks, Cadillacs and Fords. This ain't no one-way street, fellas. This shit is going to damage the US much more than it helps. It's uppingstay oopidfay.

Last edited:
I recently was involved in the attempted resale of a series of robots from a car manufacturing facility in the Netherlands as well as a surplus XRAY inspection truck used for customs inspections. In both cases they were sold for scrap value because the software licenses for use was not included in the sale. Those had to be bought separately from the software developer at an unaffordable price.

Friend of mine bought a compactor that was designed to take kitchen food waste from restaurants, and make into a useable mulch

Spent a fortune shipping from Hawaii to So Cal

Meanwhile manufacturing company in the UK goes bankrupt. And is bought by a Venture Capital company

He gets the machine, can't get passed the first screen as it requires a password. Original owner can't be found

Calls up the manufacturing company, now in new hands
"Can I get the passwrd to be able to access the machine?"
"Sure, that'll be $250'000)"

After he picks himself off the floor looks for plan B
Control is a Siemens, so he finds a company to write code to run the machine. It's not complex, might have cost a pretty penny, but not $250k.
He was lucky, if it had been a complex machine, probably would have been scrap as well

All I can say is that I'm glad you are happy with the current state of affairs. I am not. A new car today cost the same as a home not too long ago. Without continual maintenance its effective life will be exceedingly short and I think that is unaffordable for most people. I currently drive a 2005 VW Beetle. 1.9 liter diesel, 5 speed manual. It has 278,000 km on the clock. It runs perfectly with no oil consumption and it exceeds 40 miles a US gallon (5 liters per 100 km). I maintain it well and fix anything that breaks when it breaks. I will drive that until at least 1 million km if repair parts are still available. I get almost 1,000 km per tank of fuel. My insurance and road taxes are cheap. No newer car costs less to drive that I am aware of. If the engine fails, I'll rebuild it. If the transaxle fails, I can fix that too. A replacement automatic gearbox for a new car con easily cost $6,000 and most automatic transmission shops cannot rebuild them cheaper, if at all. All cars old or new, go, stop and turn. Everything after that is an unnecessary luxury. Is a modern new car, with all those unnecessary bells and whistles, really worth the cost of a new house? I think not.

Don’t make me pull up the charts lol..

IMG_3007.gif

IMG_3008.png

never wanted a Vette
You're not missing anything........lol
Doing a full mechanical refurbishment on a 68 now, customer job.
Dropped all suspension, engine/trans out........looks like a boat on the lift.......hahaha
Nothing more than a glass body on a run of the mill Chevy chassis.....low end ....
I work on them, 🤑 but would never own one myself

You're not missing anything........lol
Doing a full mechanical refurbishment on a 68 now, customer job.
Dropped all suspension, engine/trans out........looks like a boat on the lift.......hahaha
Nothing more than a glass body on a run of the mill Chevy chassis.....low end ....
I work on them, 🤑 but would never own one myself
Apparently some steel in the nose, which rusts away, but probably long after the floors and....

Yea there is a bit of steel in them. Not much in the front, there is a frame.......
Do have to be concerned with the birdcage, if it rusts out pretty much over...well unless you have deeeeep pockets.

Marcus, you mentioned lack of availability of new vehicles locally. This may not be much of an issue. Not sure if the situation in Canada is way different, but in the states you can basically look nationwide.

Ex: I bought a car from a dealership in IA, had it delivered right to my door in VA, for a few thousands in savings including shipping and never having to step foot in a dealership. Everything via email.

Suspect Marcus is smart enough not to buy a car from high street salt in the winter parts of Canada. Which basically is all of Canada except for Van and Victoria. There the salt is from the ocean spray. ;-)

You is preachin to da choir, brotha (a-men ... a-men. A-men amen amen, sing it ovah ... can you hear sidney singin' ? and the nuns ?)

I have a long and happy association with them caddylacks, starting in high school (anchorage) when Mark Sells' dad had a 59 which we'd take out drinking, then head to the parking lot and get 'er up to about 30 or 40, lock up the wheels, throw 'er in reverse then gun it. She'd spin and spin forever ....
My Caddy-lack is a bit more somber.
FB_IMG_1586989062042.jpg

Back