What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

Twenty years- oh gosh if that is the standard I’m bowing out of this.
I have zero interest in nursing along a vehicle out towards 500k on the odometer.
I purchase cars to drive- I don’t want to think about them or work on them.
Modern cars provide that.
Older cars do not.
So you've just proven that you don't have any experience in this. My daily is 18 years old and the backup is 25. I have nearly a dozen motorcycles with full blown fuel injection and completely abandoned electronics. This problem is widespread already in the powersports industry because it doesn't have the sheer numbers of vehicles that the car industry does. But you guys keep going on, spouting about how your eight year old cars are still supported so nobody will experience this in their lifetime. 🤣

You have missed the point.
No, I got the point just fine. Been lurking this thread since the beginning. This little tangent is unwinnable. The people who think parts obsolecense is not a real issue are the same people who never keep something beyond ten years old and don't repair them themselves. It's the same argument as ICE vs EV. The people who think EVs are the future, are the people who don't drive anywhere and have convenient charging at home. They don't understand why other people can't see the world their way and want to force their lifestyle on everyone else, as if everyone lives the same way.

Last edited:
No, I got the point just fine. Been lurking this thread since the beginning. This little tangent is unwinnable. The people who think parts obsolecense is not a real issue are the same people who never keep something beyond ten years old and don't repair them themselves. It's the same argument as ICE vs EV. The people who think EVs are the future, are the people who don't drive anywhere and have convenient charging at home. They don't understand why other people can't see the world their way and want to force their lifestyle on everyone else, as if everyone lives the same way.

Oh really.

You must think you are on a knitting forum.

I have been working on my own cars all my life just like I’m betting everyone else on this site.
I tore into them for the last 40 years or so and put to rights what need fixing if it’s changing the oil or rebuilding the engine.
I’ve done so much of it I’m just done.
I want the damn things to work without me having to turn wrenches and as luck would have it the new cars do just that.
They just run and run and run.

My current driver bought new is 13 years old and has 290k on the clock.
I will no doubt run it to 350k or so and still have no problems.
New cars are that good.

No a single person is telling you what you have to do.
I’m saying what works for me and pretty much plain facts.
Cars are better built and more reliable than they have ever been.

My current driver bought new is 13 years old and has 290k on the clock.
I will no doubt run it to 350k or so and still have no problems.
New cars are that good.
Man, you got me. Thirteen whole years? Wow. That's amazing. I didn't buy my daily until it was eleven years and 105K miles.

Among the cars I have recent, firsthand experience trying to find obsolete electronics parts for: 1990 Mazda Miata, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 2002 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 VW Beetle and 2002 AMG S55 Mercedes. In each case, the factory parts are NLA and the aftermarket substitutes are trash. They don't fit, sometimes don't even work out of the box or they have perilously short lives.

In the motorcycle arena: go to the Aprilia motorcycle forums and see how many 2000ish bikes are non-running for want of a crankshaft sensor. The same sensor is also sidelining Triumphs and Excelsior Hendersons from that same era. They all shared a family of sensors with the connectors being the main difference. Not available. I may be designing a replacement for those sensors but, I haven't gotten hungry enough yet.

Same bikes: Idle Air Control motors. Going bad. No replacements. Sagem designed the fuel injection systems. They or Delphi made the sensors. It's a convoluted mess of acquisitions and discontinuing of parts. Bottom line: no parts and bikes no-worky.

Harley Davidson: try to find any of the sensors or modules from that late '90s through early 2000s era. Same obsolescence issues, only temporarily softened by the large numbers of them wrecked and parted out. Try to get any of the electronics for the same period Buells, ending with production shut-down in 2009.

New cars are that good.
Well...Thats a bit too general a statement.......Audi, VW, Mercedes, Brit cars and a good number of American cars would not be
considered to run with nothing other than service for 100K or so......and if you do make it there ....time to open the wallet..
Yea, I know always an exception...
However, while your pre '85 vehicle may not have all the creature comforts, they are dead simple to work on and parts are cheap, and in theory could outlast a new car. (general statements, not taking into consideration service, salty roads and a slew of other stuff).
But very few will ride a car that old........and fewer are left every year.
Further it's not in the interest of Mfg's to keep parts forever in the system..........need to sell new ones.

I just posted an ebay link of a computer for a forty year old computer
Sure part obsolescence is an issue
Sure over automation is an issue
Sure closed systems are an issue
They are simply not the reason cars are in the junkyard

Man, you got me. Thirteen whole years? Wow. That's amazing. I didn't buy my daily until it was eleven years and 105K miles.

Among the cars I have recent, firsthand experience trying to find obsolete electronics parts for: 1990 Mazda Miata, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 2002 Chevy Tahoe, 2000 VW Beetle and 2002 AMG S55 Mercedes. In each case, the factory parts are NLA and the aftermarket substitutes are trash. They don't fit, sometimes don't even work out of the box or they have perilously short lives.

In the motorcycle arena: go to the Aprilia motorcycle forums and see how many 2000ish bikes are non-running for want of a crankshaft sensor. The same sensor is also sidelining Triumphs and Excelsior Hendersons from that same era. They all shared a family of sensors with the connectors being the main difference. Not available. I may be designing a replacement for those sensors but, I haven't gotten hungry enough yet.

Same bikes: Idle Air Control motors. Going bad. No replacements. Sagem designed the fuel injection systems. They or Delphi made the sensors. It's a convoluted mess of acquisitions and discontinuing of parts. Bottom line: no parts and bikes no-worky.

Harley Davidson: try to find any of the sensors or modules from that late '90s through early 2000s era. Same obsolescence issues, only temporarily softened by the large numbers of them wrecked and parted out. Try to get any of the electronics for the same period Buells, ending with production shut-down in 2009.

Not really the point in play is it.

This is:

“No modern (read recent) car should be considered. They all have far too much electronics to be sustainable economically.”

Average age of cars on the road have hit an all time high recently due to better engineering and quality control.
Modern cars are the best choice in my experience for return on the dollar and lowest maintenance .

"In the motorcycle arena: go to the Aprilia motorcycle forums and see how many 2000ish bikes are non-running for want of a crankshaft sensor. "

You got what you wanted, a niche bike that went fast for a while. Aprilia? You gotta be kidding. Crankshaft sensor??

Some bikes just run forever, and this does not include modern HDs. Granted the bikes that run forever don't run that fast. They're sorta like lawn mower motors. Not a lotta power but easy to fix, easy to get parts.

Attachments

• R50_1.jpg
    R50_1.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 10
  • SF_gear19.JPG
    SF_gear19.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 10
You got what you wanted, a niche bike that went fast for a while. Aprilia? You gotta be kidding. Crankshaft sensor??

Some bikes just run forever, and this does not include modern HDs. Granted the bikes that run forever don't run that fast. They're sorta like lawn mower motors. Not a lotta power but easy to fix, easy to get parts.
You do know the Oilhead motors have the exact same problem (failing hall sensor). Airhead PoS have it too: the "bean can". Just different names for the crank position sensor. The aftermarket stepped in and started repairing those because at least the components could be gotten to and replaced.

Thank you, that made me laugh out loud :)
But have you driven a 2021 or newer Cadillac? They are unreal! They redesigned every nook and cranny. The drive is awesome. You can reform the seat, they have massagers with lots of presets. Everything about them are maxed out for its current configuration.

But have you driven a 2021 or newer Cadillac? They are unreal!
You might consider buying one when the new model year comes out, it may become a collectable ... they have an electric that's doing well too. It appears to me that the Assbreath Twins with Little Sister Jammit are well on their way to killing that company. Losing 60% of your sales is not a good business strategy, they say. Buick, too.

Oh well. They were nice while they lasted.

back to the o.p...

most toyota and honda are a good bet . but don't just rely on that bullshit .
you have the internet.

specific year and model. always. mid 2003,4.5.6 hondas are prone to electrical
problems... any sensor..door/window switch will fail to turn off the cpu. =dead battery drain.

wife's element . had to remove half of the fuses , or be stranded.
she drives a 2004 toyo matrix corolla now .

i drive a 2005 4.0 L tundra . nearly 20 yrs old . i replaced the alternator 3 years ago.
that's it... . oil/brakes/tires/fluids. general upkeep. zero issues.
runs as new. great truck. best i've owned.

the V8 version of that truck had engine recalls.
the story here is ..... before you buy a used or new car/truck... look up the vin number and model . it might be the difference of a gem and a turd . even new
stuff might have a recall.

for a minute, i was expecting you to tell me how this post started in june/1995

happens all the time . expression sometimes takes a while . please be patient while
i convert my gas 6-cylinder to run on distilled oak chip fumes.

I don't own any oilhead boxers. And have trivially replaced a bean-can hall effect sensor for a buddy who owns an R65 of that vintage. A fun little project. My older bikes have home grown rectifier/regulator units - again just for fun. I don't like driving something that can't be fixed, or that has one tool in the toolkit - a credit card!

If you ever get a chance try driving a new Cadillac. They took what GM half assed on and made it much better. Sure there are different vehicles. But there is something nostalgic and American about driving a Cadillac. If you know you know. If you dont nobody is pressuring you.
most (that means more than 50%) of the cadillacs made and sold worldwide are made, and sold, in China. If the Chinese stopped buying Cadillacs, and Buicks, GM would go bankrupt in about a week.

Back