What's new
What's new

Ways dimensions

abstruse

Plastic
Greetings. I have a 13" x 40" Kent lathe and would like to get a lever-type tailstock for it. My problem is that I have no idea what tailstocks will fit my ways.

Are there a few standard sizes, or many? Is there somewhere I can look up my ways given the dimensions?

Thanx, guys.

There is no standard, except that whoever made your lathe probably made identical lathes with other brand names. It may not be easy to discover what other tailstocks will come close to fitting your lathe and orphan tailstocks for old Taiwan 1340's may be scarce. I know there used to be a number of different brand 1340 lathes and suspect they were made by several Taiwan machine builders who used different designs. Search on eBay and hope to get lucky. You will have to design and make the lever feed conversion once you find a stock tailstock that can be made to fit.

For my old 9" Hardinge lathes, I found an original Hardinge tailstock that a previous owner had done a very neat job of removing the screw feed and converting it to lever feed. So I have both types of tailstock, plus a turret that fits those lathes.

For my 12" Clausing lathe, I found an original Clausing lever feed attachment and installed it on the original stock tailstock. Then I decided I preferred using the screw feed version. I bought an orphan stock Clausing tailstock and fitted it so that it lines up with the headstock. So I have both types of Clausing tailstock plus the original turret that came with it.

Larry

Your best bet is probably to watch the used machinery sites and check with the dealers in them. But don't be surprised if a tailstock from the same model lathe does not fit 100%. You need to be prepared to do some "fitting" work.

I believe many lathe manufacturers line bored or line honed the headstocks and tailstocks to the bed that they were to be married to, so as noted some fitting will be required.

One might be better off finding a tail thet could be bottom milled/ground flat, and then making a sub plate to fit the lathe bed.
The sub plate as a flat part could be easily ground on a surface grinder to be almost a dead match (.0005 or so) to the lathe bed, Then height and aiignmemt could be done in place on the lathe.

If not too late, need to go back and change your title to read "Way dimensions for a Kent lathe bed" to make it a little more descriptive for searching later on.

Back