What's new
What's new

Webb Champ with Erickson 30? quick change issues/troubleshooting

Hello all,
I have a Webb "Champ" mill which has a Acu-Rite DRO/drive system retrofitted (or factory, not sure). It uses Erickson (30?) NMTB tool holders. It uses compressed air, and a threaded stud within the head to retract and lock tools into the spindle. I am having trouble finding any information about this system, as everything online seems to be the manual system of tool holder clamping. Excuse my lack of knowledge or terminology, as I barely 20 years old and 95% of my machining experience has been with lathes, and very rarely milling. I have an engineering degree, half of a masters, and roughly 7 years of machining experience between that.

The issue: With the quill fully retracted (tool change position as I'm told), the machine seems to be "slipping" or entirely not engaging the clutch for this tool change. Most of the time, when attempting to change tools, it makes a similar noise to when a motor starter is not engaging the flywheel. I googled for hours and finally found a bridgeport system which seems to be similar (apparently Webb is a clone), which shows the two gears I believe I am referring to. I've had a similar issue happen with a couple of our old Okuma Captain lathes regarding their live tooling clutch drives. In those cases, the teeth on both sides develop radiuses from force fitting while mating under spring tension, OR the spring becomes weak, OR the assembly just needs cleaned.

I can attach pictures of everything if needed, but I thought I would give this a shot and see if someone could either point me in the right direction or explain how this system works before I call Webb/tear the machine apart. This is NOT my machine, and I would need to be able to clearly show I know every aspect of the issue before tearing it apart due to its usage. Again, if anyone needs further pictures or further explanation, please let me know.

THANKS ALL!

Attachments

• erickson tool holder.jpg
    erickson tool holder.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230919_152806_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_152806_Gallery.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1200 (1).jpg
    s-l1200 (1).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1200(1).jpg
    s-l1200(1).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
I would call Webb Machinery in Corona Calif. 951-277-8885. They are the distributor/importer and I bought my Webb Champ mill direct from them. They are very helpful and should be able to answer any of your questions.

I would call Webb Machinery in Corona Calif. 951-277-8885. They are the distributor/importer and I bought my Webb Champ mill direct from them. They are very helpful and should be able to answer any of your questions.
Thank you. I was trying to avoid doing so, but it seems that may be my only option.

That is an unusual setup. Probably going to be very few that have experience with it. Most power drawbar setups on a knee mill are just an air powered impact up top with an air cylinder to engage the teeth. That's something different. May necessitate disassembly to see what's munched or not working correctly.

Back