What's new
What's new

Webb lathe (whacheon)

I haven't had either scenario you have posted, but I'll say this. If mags have failed on your lathe, there are a bazillion options to choose from, and many of them are very reasonable. Spec your contactor for HP, coil voltage and O/L values and check Ebay or Automation Direct..or any other site and you'll probably find what you're after.

Stuart

If something happened to the contactor in my Webb lathe, unless is was super cheap/easy to fix, I'd retrofit a VFD instead.

Thanks for your inputs I have switched the magnetic contactors to cheil cmc 232 that were recommended for this lathe Webb wl-435 The Originals are no longer available and had a mechanical lockout so both mags could not be started at the same time. These replacements are supposed to have internal lockouts I connected the wires identically as the originals no success.

If the original mags had a mechanical interlock, wiring the new set that required an electrical interlock would obviously not work properly. There should be an additional set of NC contacts on each mag that open and prevent command to the adjacent mag when the commanded mag is closed....when FWD is pushed, a REV command is interrupted from closing the REV mag because it's going through a now open contact on FWD mag.

Cheil must have schematics. I looked burt cannot read that language.

Stuart

Hi Stuart
The original mags were yaskawa Hi-35E when I transferred The Wires to the cheil mags I did notice they had NC and NO on the terminals. The box has a diagram I'm not sure if that is helpful I will attach that file and the schematic of the lathe. Thank you, Tom

Attachments

• Resized_20220625_103611.jpeg
    Resized_20220625_103611.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220605_143438.jpg
    20220605_143438.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220621_131250.jpg
    20220621_131250.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 13
Tom,
The schematic on the Webb electrics isn't clear because I believe the interlock is mechanical and not electrical..so it isn't shown. I would guess the mags you picked up for replacement aren't not meant for a reversing scenario, just simple mags. The NO and NC contacts (adders) on the mags are used for 3 wire control and O/L functions, they hold the mag in and bale the mag through push buttons...using the two mags for FWD and REV is going to require some type of interlock so they can't be pulled in simultaneously. I hope this helps.

Stuart

Tom,
Keep in mind I'm an electrical hack so this info might not be accurate. I looked at a picture of your lathe and it has the typical apron mounted FWD/REV lever which means the mags are not wired for 3-wire maintained control, the lever has a switch that holds the circuit closed.

That means #43 and #44 won't be used on those Cheil mags. The schematic shows #21 and #22 as NC contacts and #13 and #14 as NO contacts. The REV mag control wire should be wired through the NC contacts on the FWD mag, this means when the FWD mag is closed, the REV mag cannot be closed.

I believe this is how it is suppose to work.

Stuart

Tom,
Keep in mind I'm an electrical hack so this info might not be accurate. I looked at a picture of your lathe and it has the typical apron mounted FWD/REV lever which means the mags are not wired for 3-wire maintained control, the lever has a switch that holds the circuit closed.

That means #43 and #44 won't be used on those Cheil mags. The schematic shows #21 and #22 as NC contacts and #13 and #14 as NO contacts. The REV mag control wire should be wired through the NC contacts on the FWD mag, this means when the FWD mag is closed, the REV mag cannot be closed.

Stuart
Stuart-
Thank you for looking into this I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm just a machinist and don't know much about these type of controls. Thanks again, Tom

Tom,

Stuart
Stuart do you have a wiring diagram? Or know where i can get one for my Webb Whacheon lathe?

Back