What's new
What's new

Weld positioner drive controller

dkmc

Diamond
DIY weld positioner, built years ago. Uses a Bodine DC gearmotor and minarik control. Works great for MIG, which was the intended use. Recently needed it for DC TIG on stainless. The high freq. makes the controller go full rpm, no speed regulation. Now finally my question, what sort of control do the commercial units use, that plays well with TIG and high freq? Maybe it's some sort of grounding issue? I wrapped all the cord from control to motor with alu foil, no change. Never had the opp. to peek inside a store bought unit.

I put this in general instead of fab because it's not about welding

Last edited:
My Rotostar uses a Minarik controller in a steel box with a Baldor brushed DC motor. Never had anything weird happen using it.

Judging by most machines I’ve tinkered with multi core shielded cables with metal gland nuts and earth cross bonding, the earth over here on our 13A sockets gets routed back to the fuse box and out to an earth stake.
Not sure if US outlets have continuous earth, not difficult to add an earth to the thing though.
The positioners in the welding lab had metal boxes and screened cables, even to the foot pedal ( think they were off tig units anyway, I used to get really confused having 2 foot pedals, like having 2 gas pedals on a car, weird)
Silflex was the name of the cable, it was clear insulated, you could see the braid under it.
Mark

Judging by most machines I’ve tinkered with multi core shielded cables with metal gland nuts and earth cross bonding, the earth over here on our 13A sockets gets routed back to the fuse box and out to an earth stake.
Not sure if US outlets have continuous earth, not difficult to add an earth to the thing though.
The positioners in the welding lab had metal boxes and screened cables, even to the foot pedal ( think they were off tig units anyway, I used to get really confused having 2 foot pedals, like having 2 gas pedals on a car, weird)
Silflex was the name of the cable, it was clear insulated, you could see the braid under it.
Mark
Thanks for the insight. Was hoping for a reply from someone thats been inside a commercial unit.

Here's a link to an AWS thread on the problem just for reference. No successful conclusion is mentioned tho.

Another thread with success

Last edited:
Oddly I found a pile of offcut lengths in the shed, there was 3,4 and some 6 ( I think, could have been 7 or some such) left over from repairing the table cat track on a HAAS mill, the cable was suffering intermittent faults ( the worst kind) so I ripped the lot and rewired the cable chain, orrible job, covered in chips and coolant.
Mark

Oddly I found a pile of offcut lengths in the shed, there was 3,4 and some 6 ( I think, could have been 7 or some such) left over from repairing the table cat track on a HAAS mill, the cable was suffering intermittent faults ( the worst kind) so I ripped the lot and rewired the cable chain, orrible job, covered in chips and coolant.
Mark
If the neighbors pontoon boat was running, I'd borrow it, swing by, and offer to purchase a few feet of it from you.......
;)

Back