What's new
What's new

Welding gloves

When I got my first auto dark welding helmet,my eyes were always red and sore .....which never happened with the old Hiderok fixed glass one.........seems the auto dark takes a certain time to darken ,during which you get rays filtered only by the glass ......As to gloves,all ive ever used for welding and oxy are leather riggers gloves.........With high amp gouging ,with heavy gloves,you need a bucket of water to dunk your gloved hand in as soon as the heat starts to come thru,cause the hot glove burns very quickly,before you can pull it off.........Wet gloves isnt an issue ,they are wet with sweat or water ,no difference.

Aluminized welding gloves help. They don't get hot as fast

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

When I was at the sandblasters ,Col wanted to take me down,and hired a contract welder......the guy had the most beautiful tool kit and van ever seen .....custom $1200 work boots,custom made welding gloves and leathers ,most expensive auto helmet.....Catch was by the time he had carefully laid out his kit ,it was 10 am ,and he was thinking about the picnic basket lunch his wife had packet for him...He would stop work and explain his custom gear to anyone came near,which pretty much took up the time to 2pm,when the gear had to be carefully packed to go home.....Col was fuming about it,and I would make a point of going to Cols office and saying "Didnt get a lot done today Col"

can't believe all the Tillman fanboys on here, I haven't bought them in years, they went to a SUPER cheap china supplier,

1) the leather is inconsistent thickness, sometimes the thumb or index fingertip doesn't last a few hours

2) they STINK

3) there is so much residual bleach in the white ones they turn my hand white, that can't be good, but I guess it's cheaper and easier to ship the toxic waste WITH to glove. I'll pass.

for Tig, im getting Steiner pro iron-flex TIG, a bit pricy, but I do love these. just don't forget and wipe your face with the back of them, you'll get velcro rash...

for medium weight MIG I had some really nice green and white buffalo hide, I forget the brand.. gotta look that up, they were great! anyone know?

I buy welding gloves in bulk, 50 pairs at one time are not uncommon. I get a real good volume price as well.
That said we have used Tillman forever, recently we purchased a few new Hypertherm plasma power sources that came with gloves, they look a lot like early day Tillmans, there very well made and hold up quite well. I ordered 10 pair to hand out into the shop, everyone seems to like them so far.
The current Tillmans don't hold a candle to the pre-China gloves. They claim there the same quality and materials just made offshore, but I can tell you firsthand there not.

I buy welding gloves in bulk, 50 pairs at one time are not uncommon. I get a real good volume price as well.
That said we have used Tillman forever, recently we purchased a few new Hypertherm plasma power sources that came with gloves, they look a lot like early day Tillmans, there very well made and hold up quite well. I ordered 10 pair to hand out into the shop, everyone seems to like them so far.
The current Tillmans don't hold a candle to the pre-China gloves. They claim there the same quality and materials just made offshore, but I can tell you firsthand there not.
No first hand experience with them, but Black Stallion gloves are USA made. So are Carolina gloves.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Hello guys,
what’s best welding glove out there for arc, I’ve got them heavy cheap red ones, can't feel a thing through them. Holding small parts.
Thanks for any suggestion.
I personally use Betaweld Redisafe welding gloves which are a good all rounder for MIG, Stick etc. Not too heavy or expensive - good value in my opinion.

Latest company project:
Gloves.jpg

I Tend to use the gloves I buy for forging. "Big jake" gloves basically just work gloves but the backs are all cotton so they won't melt. Decent but not too heavy leather, much lighter than welding gloves but heavier than tig gloves. The stitching is Kevlar so it doesn't melt out either. Double the price of regular work gloves but they outlast them by about 10 to 1.

For MIG I often use mixed gloves, thin on the gun hand, thick on the other. Sometimes thin on both hands until things get too hot. TIG is always thin gloves, TIG finger when I come close to burning the crap outa my rod hand, or torch hand.

Back