What's new
What's new

welding thin wire/leads

slim pickens

Aluminum
At work, we use a small spot welder to attach EPD and thermocouple leads to test specimens. The weld produced is basically a spot weld to melt the first few thousandths of wire onto the specimen surface. The wire gages are super thin - think angel hair for some of the platinum T/C wires. The "lab grade" spot welder is on the fritz, works about 50% of the time. Replacement cost is ~$10K. Is there a way to use a power resistor (or similar device, either shop made or OEM) to get the amps from a typical TIG welder from 5 down to 0.5 or less? I was thinking of modifying the spot weld leads for use with a small TIG. Is this feasable? Is there a 'turn key' device to get the amps down to near nothing? Would it even be able to get an arc started that low?

Not really what you asked for but heres a link to a microwelding association. I'm definetly not a precision welder but have seen the type of work that is possible by a skilled welder and a micro-TIG machine as far as mold repairs. These guys weld with a microscope and amaze me. So maybe a micro-TIG is the answer.

I have to ask why do you have to weld the T/C to the specimen? More accurate readings?

http://www.usmwa.com/home.htm

The T/C leads generally give better results when spot welded to a metallic surface as it has better surface contact (measuring surface temp vs surrounding air temp in hot furnace/cold chamber). The EPD leads have to be welded to get good contact, not much other way to do it.

Slim,

Have you tried any of the adhesive backed thermocouples that Omega sells?

I used them for quite a while and they seemed to work quite well. I used them from -40 C to 100 C

-Jacob

Back