What's new
What's new

Well, that went off the rails pretty quickly

Ox

Diamond
If the layers were separated with timbers, the fork lifts could have taken one layer at a time....But NOOOO they want to speed up production.

Well, in all honesty, they only git one pick. They're not going to go set the first pick over there, and come back.
They could maybe go further down the line and take another pick, but that would require another siding where they could position those trucks like this aggin.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:

gbent

Diamond
I'll bet everything gets picked up quickly and quietly and tomorrow nobody knows anything about it.

DDoug

Diamond
Let's suppose they did get that whole load pulled off the railcar successfully ?

Then what ?

Come at the new pile on the ground with a straddle crane and spreader beam (a very long one)

michiganbuck

Diamond
I think there would be great risk no matter what they did..perhaps lift from both sides and then remove the train..but even that would be risky.

If that load could be lifted with the use of a dragline, that might be the ticket.

Ox

Diamond
Actually, I doubt that there was much monetary loss there - other than maybe some new side bars for the rail car...

Not too often that you can botch something of that scale without it being of much consequence, but I think this is one of those few times.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Jashley73

Titanium
Actually, I doubt that there was much monetary loss there - other than maybe some new side bars for the rail car...

Not too often that you can botch something of that scale without it being of much consequence, but I think this is one of those few times.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What do you think a crew with a crane enough to handle a tipped over rail-car charges? :skep:

I bet it ain't cheap...

SteelrFn

Stainless
Jeffrey Lebowski explaining what happened to the boss.

"Look I have certain information man... and did you ever think that, ahhh ahhh, instead of ahhh, running around, ahh blaming me, given the nature of all this new shit, its not just a simple, it may not be just a simple, ahhh, you know?"

john.k

Diamond
Looks exciting,but if no one is hurt ,no big deal .....forklifts and rollingstock are made to take big hits ..........I know from experience the biggest trick there is getting the bogies back into the wagon frame to rerail the wagon..........I lifted a wagon and one bogie wouldnt let go ,the other fell out ,which tipped the wagon off sideways on a 15 ton forklift......Quick look around to see if anyone is watching,no worries.

michiganbuck

Diamond
Doing that same offloading the point man could have had the hi lows tilt back when the load was only a few inches foot off/up to put the center of gravity back.

The going off the high grade is what caused the load to be too far forward when the hi lows neared flat ground..

My old unit track dragline would have made easy work of that job. likely need to take a few lifts for that load?..and have a guy on the ground to control the swing.

Rails may be 100 pounds a yard length each.
My buddy's grandfather had his arm cut off by a dragline cable.
A cable wire could grab your glove and yank your arm under the next cable turn so cutting off your arm.

Peter.

Titanium
Thos fools should have un-hooked the next trailing car, lifted the load up, rolled the car out, dropped the load down low and then anything that happened would be minimal.

DDoug

Diamond
My old unit track dragline would have made easy work of that job. likely need to take a few lifts for that load?..and have a guy on the ground to control the swing.

How you going to doo that ?

They look to be very long, you'd make a choker in the middle ?

michiganbuck

Diamond
QT: [ou'd make a choker in the middle.] custom spreader would be due. Many rails are 30 & 40 footers.
likely they could be up to almost 70' long (?).

I would not attempt that whole load with my old Unit dragline.

The way they did it would have been good/ok if the grade angle had been considered. looks like an 8 to 10* angle that was not considered as the vehicles went back. Point man did not consider the grade angle.

DDoug

Diamond
QT: [ou'd make a choker in the middle.] custom spreader would be due. Many rails are 30 & 40 footers.
likely they could be up to almost 70' long (?).

I would not attempt that whole load with my old Unit dragline.

The way they did it would have been good/ok if the grade angle had been considered. looks like an 8 to 10* angle that was not considered as the vehicles went back. Point man did not consider the grade angle.

I didn't think you would doo the whole load.

Even picking up only qty (1), they are a very long noodle.

How would you handle the length ?

michiganbuck

Diamond
Guess I would pick up 5 or less at a lift. likely to need to make special gear to get under a partial load so the dragline would only be good with special gear, and 10 lifts at that so a very long job. Guessing they may weigh about 2300 pounds each.

john.k

Diamond
The more operators the more chance of something going wrong....appears none was in controll,just a lot of watchers.....As has been mentioned ,first move should be tilt back ......always lower the load before moving..........I got an old dragline too,rustic relic ,but its worked the last year clearing up scrap ,and saved me a fortune in crane hire.......Something else ,wire machines got their good points with hydraulic hoses being $200 each.

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
The mountain of paperwork that must been required to be filled out later (!!!)

I think I see the rails start to go away from the mast on the closest forklift right from the start thus compounding the problem of insufficient counterweight.

It doesn't help much w a presumably long train but solid blocking the mast channels to the ground would be one way to not go tippy if it was noticed in time.

If the subgrade isn't ready to take on that kind of load on the front tires (essentially 2x the weight being lifted), little depressions that form under the wheels are very difficult to back up and out of.

I did this and although more extreme, could not even get the unloaded forklift back out of the ~1-1/2' deep depression. I had to use the forward tilt on some steel under the mast channels to get enough clearance where I could use a floor jack and fill in with some crushed stone.