What's new
What's new

Whacheon D1-6 or A1-6 spindle head and metric vs Imp stud threads.

fgen

Plastic
Hey,
I am trying to put a 4 jaw chuck on a Whacheon (17 x 40 approx) lathe and find myself basically confused by the Stud spec.
I have a book on the thing I got from Whacheon for the "MS Series", as it is a clone of some Mori-seiki.
The book says the thing has JIS A1-6 but Whacheon says it is that or a D1-6 and from pictures they send it looks like D1-6.

Greenhorn questions:
1. If it looks like a camlock spindle head is that definitive? Looks much like the D1-4 I'm used to.
2. I need some (6) studs. I find metric and 7/8-18 on offer, both called D1-6 cam lock studs. Is it just that some people
make/use metric threads on an otherwise Imp stud?

Thanks for any advice.
Regards,
f

Last edited:
Camlock has two specifications: ASME B5.9 where all dimensions are imperial and threads are imperial and ISO702, where the imperial dimensions have been converted to metric and the threads are the nearest metric one. So, yes, you can buy imperial thread camlock studs and metric thread camlock studs. Which one you need will depend on what unit system is used in the country that has manufactured the chuck.

To elaborate just a tiny bit more: A D1 spindle nose does not care about the stud thread size. The working end of either kind of stud will work properly with the corresponding size of D1 spindle camlocks. So match the stud size to the D1 size, and match the stud threads to whatever your chuck requires. I have a mix of Imperial and metric chucks in my shop and they all fit on a D1-6 spindle, and if I ever have to order replacement studs I will have to take one off and see what threads it's got.

To elaborate just a tiny bit more: A D1 spindle nose does not care about the stud thread size. The working end of either kind of stud will work properly with the corresponding size of D1 spindle camlocks. So match the stud size to the D1 size, and match the stud threads to whatever your chuck requires. I have a mix of Imperial and metric chucks in my shop and they all fit on a D1-6 spindle, and if I ever have to order replacement studs I will have to take one off and see what threads it's got.
Speaking of a tiny bit more...

Metric is 1.5 mm/thread, imperial is 18 tpi, so measuring with a 1/2 in caliper I screwed up the difference between
9 threads per half inch and
8.4667 threads per half inch and ordered the Imperial set. Woe is me.

Anyone have a good source for metric D1-6 studs? I'm only finding 48+ / stud vs the 13/stud I paid for the Imperials that I can't use.

Thanks,
f

Dude, you need to purchase both a metric and an inch Screw pitch gauge.
Tough to see the odd .004" difference in the two pitches especially when using calipers to gauge.
Cheers Ross

Dude, you need to purchase both a metric and an inch Screw pitch gauge.
Tough to see the odd .004" difference in the two pitches especially when using calipers to gauge.
Cheers Ross
Roger that! Or I could just find the one I have instead of always being in emergency mode sacrificing organization on the alter of sloth.

Back