What's new
What's new

What are your opinions on my gun build plan in terms of its feasibility?

If you are serious about any of this, you start with a PROVEN barrel and action. "Store bought". And in steel, of course.

Because.... all the challenge is in the sabot and projectile. As has been demonstrated, and is still being demonstrated.

Make progress on THAT, you'll have help. Even funding.

:)

Yeah thanks for your advice...titanium is really expensive so your suggestion on starting off with cheaper steel makes sense. I mentioned of titanium made barrels because I wanted the barrel to be made out of titanium alloy after my suggested smoothbore barrel design really works in tests. Maybe I should work with a rem 700 action (after I learn techniques in machining) with a steel barrel to see if my idea works.

Just for the sake of curiosity, how many guns use titanium barrels? Ever wonder why not?
How about sticking with reality and not fiction.
And starting with something more suited for first project like 22LR?

It is true that barrels made out of only titanium alloy are rare out there; bare titanium bore would rapidly wear out and the alloy is crazy expensive. However there are barrels having a thin layer of steel around its bore surface with powder sprayed titanium around it, so I cannot say that it's completely fiction.

And building a .22 LR gun would seem good for starting a gunsmithing (thanks for your advice) but I think buying a cheap rifle action (such as rem 700) and ordering custom barrels with no rifling would work easily too. What do you think?

It is true that barrels made out of only titanium alloy are rare out there; bare titanium bore would rapidly wear out and the alloy is crazy expensive. However there are barrels having a thin layer of steel around its bore surface with powder sprayed titanium around it, so I cannot say that it's completely fiction.

And building a .22 LR gun would seem good for starting a gunsmithing (thanks for your advice) but I think buying a cheap rifle action (such as rem 700) and ordering custom barrels with no rifling would work easily too. What do you think?

Fiction and pragmatism. 8620 - "ordnance steel" to the armies of the world - and 4XXX have ruled for more than a hundred years and more firearms than we even have good numbers for - a million but a minor rounding-error.

They "JFW". Handgun. Sporter. Individual battle-rifle. Light and heavy MG. Automatic cannon.

As to "cheap"?

Might simply amaze the living s**t out of you how far, how accurately, and with what devastating terminal effect, a 700 BDL in "bog standard" 7mm Remington Magnum bought used-but-good can ALREADY perform. Nothing walks the North American Continent it cannot drop.

And then.. there are better actions. And better-performing rounds, yet for them.

Good scope (Dad's was the so-so Balvar 8, but it fit his other guns, too, so.. "tradeoffs"...), and your challenge becomes finding a safe place to fire it at all. Any of them.

Too much up-angle, projectile can carry several MILES further than you can see, then hit what was never in the plan atall.

Bad cess, that. Learn it first. Forget it, never.

I think what the Op really wants to know..is can he cast depleted uranium bullets with his Lee 4-20 pot?....And if not why not?

LOL! it may be a while before he even groks the utility of a Lee Loader & Sputniks.. and that it depends on selecting an "eminently reloadable" horse, not an "exotic".

AFAIK, the only reliable way to even order a supply of depleted Uranium is to piss-off the US Gov real fierce-like. Then hope they task an A10 instead of a fast-mover with 2,000 lb iron bomb or a Reaper with Hellfires. Shit-lousy odds. Really. They are. And then the Pyrophoric crap is .. well.. "dispersed" might fit?

:(

Sir I am not asking this question to impress myself. If you think I am trying to impress myself or being a gun snob, then you are wrong. I am just a college student majoring in math who is interested in firearms and materials science. But since I am not a professional engineer or a smith who can actually build firearms I had to search for websites where I could ask the question for the sake of curiosity, and this is the site I've found out. I am asking this question for pure curiosity, not for impressing myself or for showing off that I seem like a gun expert. Why are you being so cynical?

Because there are plenty of short tempered cynics on this site along with helpful people.

So, dudes got a fucked idea, using totally unacceptable materials, and none of you told him to fill out his fucking profile yet? For real? Where the fuck is doug? Location is everything, and the forum rules spell it out. If you can't follow forum rules, we can't condone the idiocy of the idea, and therefore we can't enjoy the damage he inflicts upon himself, if he ever puts down the pcp and/or moly he evidently enjoys. Although, it may be fun watching the news when he attemps to machine Ti.

I think a guy should have a bit of machine experience, maybe have made a conventional gun or two before he goes on a gun design fantasy using exotic materials and futuristic designs,,,, after all it is called Practical Machinist.

I think a guy should have a bit of machine experience, maybe have made a conventional gun or two before he goes on a gun design fantasy using exotic materials and futuristic designs,,,, after all it is called Practical Machinist.

I think he has other hurdles to cross first, getting a drivers licence, graduating high school, learning to shave etc etc

Back