What's new
What's new

What do you look for in a potential gunsmith hire?

HideTheCarbide9

Plastic
Hi Practical Machinist,

I’ve been working as a primarily 3axis and on occasion 4 axis CNC milling machinist for about 8 or so years now. It’s prototype work, so it’s something new every day, which is nice to get exposure to new parts and materials that keep the work challenging. I do my own fixturing, programming, and operating.

I want to maneuver out into gunsmithing, and I’m in the “where do I start” phase of the process at the moment. I figured It’d be helpful to try and find out what you business owners look for credential wise, skill set-wise, or even just what the general traits are that you look for in applicants in 2023.

And sorry if this thread has been made 1,498,974 times before, feel free to tell me to go F*** myself ;).

I very much appreciate any and all input you’re willing to offer me,

Thanks!

Id say to anyone who wants to be a gunsmith.....have you been a gun nut since you were old enough to buy a packet of 22 ammo at the hardware store ?.....if the answer was no,then Id say forget it.
That’s fair! I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think John!

I think getting a lathe and a drill press might be a place to start and practice hand work like tapping and measuring.
You would likely have to be pretty knowledgeable to be trusted as even a helper.
I am not a gunsmith but I have met guys who make guns, and they are very sharp.
IMHO.

I think getting a lathe and a drill press might be a place to start and practice hand work like tapping and measuring.
You would likely have to be pretty knowledgeable to be trusted as even a helper.
I am not a gunsmith but I have met guys who make guns, and they are very sharp.
IMHO.
Thanks buck, I have been machining for the better part of a decade, a little weaker in turning since I’ve been married to this CNC vertical mill but it’s not unfamiliar to me. Definitely do a lot of tapping at work. It might be the kind of thing I develop as a hobby for myself in the end if it’s the kind of trade you really need to be brought up in to be successful at. I saw someone post a course that penn foster offers somewhere, are there online classes you think are worth taking to fill the experience gap?

Have a loupe so you can chuck an existing thread and steer your tool bit into the existing thread..and skim .002 off one side of the thread and to a minor diameter, But lathe shill alone likely won't make somebody a gunsmith. I have made chambering reamers and sporterized military guns, but that is not gunsmithing.
I have very good manual lathe skills but would be a rank novice in gunsmithing.

Last edited:
I think of gunsmiths re-soldering doubles back, engraving, stock making, filing out a 870 ejector so it doesn’t bind once receiver is warm.

I know 2 gunsmiths, one has a mill, the other a drill press. Lots of gravers and jewelers tools. Both have anvil and forge.

I think of gunsmiths re-soldering doubles back, engraving, stock making, filing out a 870 ejector so it doesn’t bind once receiver is warm.

I know 2 gunsmiths, one has a mill, the other a drill press. Lots of gravers and jewelers tools. Both have anvil and forge.
Good to know, it sounds like there’s a lot of skills folded into the trade, anvil and forge makes sense

Have a loupe so you can chuck an existing thread and steer your tool bit into the existing thread..and skim .002 off one side of the thread and to a minor diameter, But lathe shill alone likely won't make somebody a gunsmith. I have made chambering reamers and sporterized military guns, but that is not gunsmithing.
I have very good manual lathe skills but would be a rank novice in gunsmithing.
Appreciate the link! And that’s impressive making your own reamer, have you been doing this work for a long time?

QT: (Appreciate the link! And that’s impressive making your own reamer, have you been doing this work for a long time?)
I am skillful in making and sharpening cutting tools, with many years doing so, now retired and just doing a little grinding in my own shop.

Q: (I want to maneuver out into gunsmithing, and I’m in the “where do I start”)
One could specialize in one talent like finishing gun stocks or re-bluing and joining the gun talent group. it would not be gunsmithing but might get one into the loop.
Getting hired as a smith would be a challenge IMHO.
I have a 410 double barrel with a beautifully carved stock..The fellow who carved the stock Garry just did it for something to do and never elected to do that as a paid talent. Likely he could have had a good sideline.
Some examples of gun stock carving

Last edited:
QT: (Appreciate the link! And that’s impressive making your own reamer, have you been doing this work for a long time?)
I am skillful in making and sharpening cutting tools, with many years doing so, now retired and just doing a little grinding in my own shop.

Q: (I want to maneuver out into gunsmithing, and I’m in the “where do I start”)
One could specialize in one talent like finishing gun stocks or re-bluing and joining the gun talent group. it would not be gunsmithing but might get one into the loop.
Getting hired as a smith would be a challenge IMHO.
I have a 410 double barrel with a beautifully carved stock..The fellow who carved the stock Garry just did it for something to do and never elected to do that as a paid talent. Likely he could have had a good sideline.
Some examples of gun stock carving
These are beautiful pieces, I think you’re right, might be the better way to go to specialize at first and work my way out to different areas if proficiency is well enough developed. I hope you’re enjoying retirement!! I’m grateful for your input!

is it "I want to be a gunsmith?" or " I want to make AR parts and supressors on CNC machines?" Two very different things .
Definitely not the latter, I’ve enjoyed machining a lot, and while it’s rewarding to make a part to a print and send it on its way, there’s an allure to gunsmithing for me in seeing all the working parts function together in a complex system.

I wouldn’t consider myself a firearm aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but the blending of all these skills involved in gunsmithing, heat treating, woodworking, machining, casting. It’s absolutely fascinating, and it offers a kind of satisfaction I have seen myself lose to some degree during the day to day grind of hitting dimensions on parts I have no connection to.

Let's not forget about the art of stocking. Can you shave a few thou off a piece of walnut with a chisel? Do you understand the fit of a weapon to the human?

I think you should probably figure out what type of gunsmithing you want to do and start pursuing that on your own. Then start going to shoots and/or matches to network and maybe show off your handy work with other shooters interested in your chosen field.

You might find some vendors looking for employees or apply for your own FFL and start your own shop once you have made a name for yourself.

I think you should probably figure out what type of gunsmithing you want to do and start pursuing that on your own. Then start going to shoots and/or matches to network and maybe show off your handy work with other shooters interested in your chosen field.

You might find some vendors looking for employees or apply for your own FFL and start your own shop once you have made a name for yourself.
Thank you for the insight kenton, it does sound like that’s a great way to get started. I think I’ll take one of those online courses to have some kind of credential and tool on my old .22 to get going!

If you don't LOVE guns and absorb gun related information like a sponge then you might be limited.

Do a gunsmithing course to have a try and see if you might like it and to add to your resume. Not sure if speedy Gonzales still runs one.

With that and your background you might get you foot in the door with a company that makes custom actions or aluminium chassis stocks. Eg lots of CNC work. Some of these places build complete guns using their products as the foundation so good opportunity to step to the next level.

If you don't LOVE guns and absorb gun related information like a sponge then you might be limited.

Do a gunsmithing course to have a try and see if you might like it and to add to your resume. Not sure if speedy Gonzales still runs one.

With that and your background you might get you foot in the door with a company that makes custom actions or aluminium chassis stocks. Eg lots of CNC work. Some of these places build complete guns using their products as the foundation so good opportunity to step to the next level.
This sounds exciting too, I thought there had to be a place for a CNC skill set somewhere in the field, thank you for the post plumber.

Back