What's new
What's new

What do you look for in a potential gunsmith hire?

In Europe ,gunsmith was an 8 year apprenticeship ,and one year journeyman to become a guild member .No man could be a gunsmith without being a guild member .
There’s so much to know, 8 years doesn’t shock me in the least, but it’s good to have so much information from all of you posting as far as a place to get started. Thanks for your posts john

This is one of the better custom action makers CNC workshop. There are dozens of others making actions in a similar way

Couple of other videos that you might find interesting about Bruce and BAT actions.

Gavin does some other full builds on his channel. I'm not going to enter into if all their practices are "the best" debate but it gives you an idea of fitting barrels and assembling modern rifles and methods are better than many others. High end woodwork is another game

Couple of other videos that you might find interesting about Bruce and BAT actions.

Gavin does some other full builds on his channel. I'm not going to enter into if all their practices are "the best" debate but it gives you an idea of fitting barrels and assembling modern rifles and methods are better than many others. High end woodwork is another game

These are great resources plumber, thanks for dropping them in the thread, I’d love to work in this kind of shop.

If you've already survived the winds of change in the numerical machining world you have skills and a starting point.

The most important skill a gunsmith has is not knowing what to do but when to stop.

I've had the rare opportunity to work alongside master wood and metalsmiths. They have one thing in common, both would rather be looking at it than looking for it.

I have countless screwdrivers that may have been ground specifically to match a single screw that I may never see again. Some of these screwdrivers are the diameter of the screw head, with a concave ground or machined end, with a slot milled across them for the blade width, with blade silver soldered in place at the same time of hardening. These come in two depths, Wake up, where the blade doesn't quite touch the bottom of the slot while the concave surface peens the burred edges back into shape , and, beat where the blade just touches the bottom of the slot to transfer force to the length of the screw threads. I'm elaborating here because approaching a fastener with the thought that it may only just come out in one piece the first time is the correct way. If you approach a fastener like it's going to come out easily and deform the slot you are going backwards and it's possible that a trip to the mill is next. This is just one example.

I have drawers of custom jigs for sear adjustment and measuring that again range from obscure (310 Cadet & Martini Enfield) to 1911's.

I have barrel and receiver wrenches for small and large ring Mausers and Model 70 or 700's to BSA Monarch and CF2.

In the end numerical machining is near absolute positioning and gunsmithing is much more cut, fit, try, touch and feel.

You are already asking good questions and receiving good answers. Continue. None of us here know everything but all of us here know something.

You asked what I may want in a potential gunsmith hire. I want someone that can think. I want equal portions of ambition and caution. I want continuous improvement. Most of all I want an employee to enjoy what they do.

What Id want is a guy who could sell four $2000 rifles on a Saturday morning,and not one who would stand around swapping B/S stories with the first customer,while the other three got sick of waiting and walked out.

Buy some broken/junk guns and get them working again!
You might have to make the parts since a lot of places are out of stock on common items right now.
J&G Sales and Centerfire Systems have “Gunsmith Special “ sections that have guns missing parts and/or need repair.
That would help you see if you have the desire and skill to become a Gunsmith!

I started about 25 years ago and would consider myself as still learning. Since I am more inclined towards long range competition and hunting rifles as my main source of knowledge, I would have to agree on the other posts- figure out what type of gunsmith you wish to be first. I love to make walnut stocks, checkering, fitting them to the action etc. but I am also wise enough to know that those jobs are very far and few between these days (Very few customers are willing to part with the coin it takes to make wood stocks and all that comes with it) So, pick a niche that fits your skill set or skill goal and start there.

Back