What's new
What's new

What do you use 1-2-3 blocks for?

"cant imagine being without them"

I am hearing that a lot, though I've yet to find a single use for them in the work I do.

In that last video I linked they were using them to stand up a piece of aluminum bar to machine the end of it, I do that quite often but he found the sides of the double lock vises do the same thing since I make my jaws 8" long for the 6" vises though it seems I am the only one doing that.

For those of you that are creating small to exceptionally small parts, you need to seek the advise of the Die/Mold professionals. Working in a mold shop for a few years enabled me to make a set of insert blocks. These blocks were not 123's, but they enabled me to secure small work pieces for light milling, grinding, jig-boring and perhaps even wire/ram edm operations.

The experience that I gained by working alongside mold making professionals was extremely rewarding. I would like to hear more from any Die/Mold pros.

One can square check a 123 block and mark it with gun blue to the adjoining two best/perfect sides. Then that 123 block becomes the square master to set a surface gauge for checking parts.
So it might be used as an eyeball teat gauge or a with indicator master.

I had a real nice 4' x 6' x 1' surface plate for 20 some odd years, couldn't sell it and it ended up going to the landfill when we moved. I bought it at a military auction for 50 bucks but never did use it for anything but a flat spot to stack stuff.

I was machining a memorial plaque a while back and Wonder Woman says " If you want one of those you should ought to get it made up" My friend that was standing there says " Ya, and I bet she can tell you what dates to put on it".
IMG_6891.jpg

Can we see some pics?
Hello Kustomizer,
I do not have photos of my insert blocks, but I did make a 8 pc. set of these larger workholding blocks. I'm not to sure if I'm allowed to show these photos.
IMG_2844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
I think pica are always good, what are you doing with these?

I'm using 6 of the 8 work holding blocks to secure work pcs. on a surface grinder. As I mentioned before, I often make tools that are designed to be "identical" to each other. Flat, parallel and square to within .0002 (TIR) accuracy. I like to think of these platforms as "transfer vehicles" that I can locate under any spindle in the shop with a high degree of accuracy.

Back