What's new
What's new

What does it take to build a Express rifle on a Ruger No1?

Son of Sam

Aluminum
I have no need, but I love cannons. Kind of a continuation of the Mauser thread.
I am not familiar with the Ruger No1's other than seeing a few and that they are a falling block. Is there a difference between the tropical rifle and the other No1's? Could any No1 be converted to a 500NE or 460 weatherby or other cannon size cartridge? I know they are available but I have never found one outside of gunbroker and then they are $4k and up for the really big stuff. Still a bargain for a express rifle but its out of my reach as a toy that will likely not go through more than a box of ammo in its life. However I could re barrel a No1 and work it to accept a NE cartridge and still be under $1500 (i think) with a donor rifle.

Jim is right about the #1 action. The Express rifles from Ruger have very expensive wood and are targeted,(no pun) to the well-heeled buyer. A simple re-barrel to a larger caliber should be easily done. Regards, Clark

You can pick up an older tropical in 458 WinMag and have it chambered for 458 Lott. I've read that converting to 460WM is doable. The 470 Nitro specs are similar to the 458 WinMag. Someday I'll re-barrel my #1H with a 34" barrel.
I like big bores and just push my eyeballs back in the socket when they pop out. :)
Reloading might be part of your plan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4,866
You can pick up an older tropical in 458 WinMag and have it chambered for 458 Lott. I've read that converting to 460WM is doable. The 470 Nitro specs are similar to the 458 WinMag. Someday I'll re-barrel my #1H with a 34" barrel.
I like big bores and just push my eyeballs back in the socket when they pop out. :)
Reloading might be part of your plan.

Im already a reloader. So far the only thing I have that can qualify is a 460xvr, next largest I have is 30-06 or 8x56r. Big bore is rare in my area to say the least. I do have a buddy with a a 458 win mag but to date I cant get him to bring it to the range, I even offered to buy a box of cartridges.

Note Dan Lilja's comments about barrel shank size re putting a .378 (.460) in a Rem 700.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: 378 Weatherby Cases in the Remington 700 Action?

The Ruger #1 shank is 1"-16, with not a lot more meat than a 700 in the receiver ring. I, 'personally', wouldn't go there.

However, the old British Nitro Express cartridges are loaded to significantly lower pressures than a Weatherby, like sub 40k. I don't think I'd hesitate to put a .470 in one.

Unless you specifically want a #1, I'll second the "12 Gauge From Hell."

The mother thread is on accuratereloading.com, but Ed has threads on it almost everywhere.

Pac-Nor has the correct .72 caliber rifled barrels in stock, Rocky Mountain makes brass if you don't want to DIY, and there are several actions that will handle the cartridge.

I've been fighting off the urge to build a Maadi-Griffin in that chambering...

Personally i wouldn't go too big or you will get knocked around with recoil. The reason the double barrel rifle became more popular than the falling blocks for hunting dangerous game, apart from the quick second shot, is the extra weight soaks up the recoil.

http://youtu.be/su9ZJ1SFldQ?list=PLu65cCz_ivTjzwkAdydAOqWikE123ISC6

Falling blocks are just real fun to shoot though, something about shooting a single shot and almost working for your shot really appeals to a lot of people.

OP, be aware of local laws as in some states consider anything over 50 cal (shotguns usually excluded) is considered a weapon of mass destruction. (Not kidding)

I wouldnt be worried about the barrel tenon thread size.Most British express single shots have threads around 1"x14tpi[Farquharson,Fraser,etc].Anything over .50 may get you in hot water with the law.Regards John.

Thankd for the heads up in regards to WMD's. As of right now I believe the .50BMG is still legal in NJ, but I dont anticipate going quite that large. After doing some reading the .460 Weatherby might be the route. Seeing as I am still in the early planning I dont really know. This would be easier if the selection of cartridges was much smaller. Over the last 120 or so years so many cartridges have become available and designed for one reason or another.

... .460 Weatherby might be the route.

Are you planning on shooting this very much? I know one guy with one who takes it out once a year and fires one round and, after getting knocked on his ass, puts it back in the closet until next year. To each his own, I guess. :-)

... .460 Weatherby might be the route.

Are you planning on shooting this very much? I know one guy with one who takes it out once a year and fires one round and, after getting knocked on his ass, puts it back in the closet until next year. To each his own, I guess. :-)

I dont plan on shooting it much. Brass alone is quite expensive, forget about factory loads. As far as recoil- im pretty capable. I still wouldnt plan on a day of shooting more than a few rounds. That hold true for any of the big bore cannons.

Back