What's new
What's new

What green flags do you look for in employee or colleagues?

john.k

Diamond
There is an interesting letter from the boss of Toyota Australia to the workforce at the factory.....detailing how while he was fighting head office to stay alive,one third of the work force decided to have a day off to fill in the gap between a weekend and a public holiday Tuesday.The factory closed three years later ...........(I might add after $ billions in government money to keep going.)

O

otrlt

Paying them more makes it harder for them to move on. Simple as that. Won't make them happier though, just less likely to leave.

Pay has little meaning on retaining top shelf talent, The best want to have security and freedom to do what they wish.

How do I know this? I lived this exact experience. Money is no longer a hurtle in my life, thanks to the decisions that I made as a young man.

john.k

Diamond
When I quit the maintenance job,new factory manager didnt think it was a big deal...he tells me he's hiring a keen young guy,just married and bought a house,the ideal employee....And Im to teach this guy everthing he needs to know in three days......I was sorry to dud the kid ,he was keen and smart,but there are casualties in every war.........possibly the funniest episode was the "tools"...all my own tools ,everything had stood the test of time , manager buys a new set of workshop tools from the guy who fills the vending machines ....talk about Chinesium....this stuff didnt even make that grade.

thermite

Diamond
Pay has little meaning on retaining top shelf talent, The best want to have security and freedom to do what they wish.

How do I know this? I lived this exact experience. Money is no longer a hurtle in my life, thanks to the decisions that I made as a young man.

Sure you didn't mean "turtle"?

Just think how much better-off YET you might be ..if you hadn't taken time-out to re-invented yourself as a fool.

:)

thermite

Diamond
Id like to be the CEO who was appointed ,never started work ,fired for some female type accusations,and took away $3 or $4 million in fees and bonuses.

Not fictional. It freakin' HAPPENS!

Nameless Big Corp sent one overseas from London.

First few DAYS in, invites 'his" inherited senior staff to the 26 million-dollar company house that comes with the job for a "bonding" exercise.

His way.

Seriously career-limiting move to greet his guests..
naked, high, with gallons of booze, beds already rubber-sheeted, lines of cocaine prepped.

Aircraft took him away by daylight. No golden parachute for he. Silly Bugger was lucky to not have been 'misplaced', en-route. Or maybe NOT so lucky?

He had NO idea how "senior" his "staff' really were. Let alone how DISGUSTED !!!

One phone call. One. And DONE!

If a major company does not have "morals"? They damned well best FAKE it so as well as can be.

:(

thermite

Diamond
Why not both?

It "just grows" and one does have, more often than not.

Never had to ASK for a raise anyway.

Kep' my mout' shut, got MORE than I would have asked for.. and felt better about it, too!

Easily as important as what comes in, is whether you have a blanket-sharer .. and kids .. helpful and cooperative as partners (second marriage..)

:)

... OR...

Hell-bent to bankrupt year azz twice-over, and at a combat speed!
(first marriage...)

:(

You takes yer chances and you pays yer money.. or accumulates it.

Folk you wish to hire?

Will have the same sort of challenges. They matter. Bigtime!

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I suppose 38 years ago that might have been the thing. These days, nope. I would not hire someone to work in a shop who showed up in a 3 piece suit. That shows they want a desk job, sales office maybe, they're not ready to get their hands dirty. I'd much rather see steel toed boots, jeans with no holes, and any kind of clean shirt that isn't a white dress shirt.

I interviewed for a job with a customer last year. They were impressed with some tooling that I made and wanted to hire me full time. My wife nearly blew a fuse when I was headed out the door in my boots, "good jeans" and a flannel shirt.

I have a picture of my grandfather in the 50's with a few guys at work. They are all wearing suits, with ties, underneath their lab coat style work jackets.

jim rozen

Diamond
I suppose 38 years ago that might have been the thing. These days, nope. I would not hire someone to work in a shop who showed up in a 3 piece suit. That shows they want a desk job, sales office maybe, they're not ready to get their hands dirty. I'd much rather see steel toed boots, jeans with no holes, and any kind of clean shirt that isn't a white dress shirt.

Dress for the job, but one step up. If the job is jeans and T-shirt, wear nice jeans and a buttoned shirt. If the job is good pants and a buttoned shirt, wear that plus a tie. If the job is wear a suit, get a *good* suit.

Do NOT dress several steps up.

Appropriate footwear, if it's a shop floor bring your own safety glasses.