What's new
What's new

What have you made FOR your South Bend?

A threading dial for my 9a.

I made the gear from nylon using a fly cutter on a horizontal mill w/indexer. The teeth are cut straight, the mounting stud is press fit into the aluminum body at the helix angle (3 deg), tilting the entire threading dial to match the lead screw. I haven't engraved any numbers onto the dial face and may not. If I ever have to cut a fractional thread, I guess I'll just mark one of the lines with a Sharpie.

Paul

Attachments

• PB230015.JPG
    PB230015.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,321
  • PB230016.JPG
    PB230016.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,192
  • PB230017.JPG
    PB230017.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,346
A few pics with 5 projects for the lathe.

This is how i usually work with my lathe and the home made stuff i use on it. First is a lathe dog plate to spin my welded up lathe dog. Then the taper attachment to cut the angle of the #2MT to be used as a tailstock arbor. Then my square toolblock. Anyone need more info just pm me...Bob

Attachments

• lathe 031.jpg
    lathe 031.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,137
  • lathe 032.jpg
    lathe 032.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3,311
  • lathe 030.jpg
    lathe 030.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,997
  • lathe 028.jpg
    lathe 028.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,203
Home Made Taper Attachment..

Here is my 20 dollar taper attachment in action cutting some #2 MT arbors. I have lots of how to make it pics if anyone is interested. The cross slide srew is removed so the cross slide floats on the sine bar....Bob
taper att.avi - YouTube

Attachments

• taper att 002.jpg
    taper att 002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,646
  • taper att 003.jpg
    taper att 003.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,512
  • taper att 004.jpg
    taper att 004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,425
  • taper att 005.jpg
    taper att 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,451
Bob, I am a newbie still in the process of rebuilding my little workshop Model B 9". But I am also interested in the plans for your taper attachment if they are available I would greatly appreciate it. I think some form of this will be the second project for my machine after a QCTP.

Thanks, Lance

Bob, I am a newbie still in the process of rebuilding my little workshop Model B 9". But I am also interested in the plans for your taper attachment if they are available I would greatly appreciate it. I think some form of this will be the second project for my machine after a QCTP.

Thanks, Lance

Bob, I sure hope you saved all those bar napikins! :D:rolleyes5:

Chris

Here is my 20 dollar taper attachment in action cutting some #2 MT arbors. I have lots of how to make it pics if anyone is interested. The cross slide srew is removed so the cross slide floats on the sine bar....Bob
taper att.avi - YouTube

hi i would very much like to make one ! if it is possible i would like to see these how to make pictures .maybe you could email them to me( if not too much trouble ) regards .jack

Since adding the coolant system I found out quick that I needed a splash guard. I made this out of 1/8'' plexi and just sandwiched it between two aluminum angle pieces.

ixqeyd.jpg

How'd you get the plexiglass to bend?

heat it up with a heat gun or torch if you are careful. torch gets it hot fast and causes bubbles if you are not paying attention. heat gun is a little more forgiving

this part is not for a lathe but you can see i formed the plexi around a mold, first one i did was by hand then i got smart and made a vacum rig

Picture056.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Since adding the coolant system I found out quick that I needed a splash guard. I made this out of 1/8'' plexi and just sandwiched it between two aluminum angle pieces.

ixqeyd.jpg

Your motor looks out of place with old iron but it's none the less interesting. Is that a Grizzly head stock from a wood lathe? The type that has an integral motor and vary-speed?

Chris

Well, after reading through that thread it's not exactly what I thought it was or described in my last post. I thought it was a Motor/Headstock like this.

NOVA DVR 2024 Lathe

Basically, the Head Stock is a motor with a hollow armature/spindle.

Anyway, I think what you did is very creative and exemplifies home shop expedience. I wouldn't loose any sleep over the VFD issue in that thread.

Chris

Reversed live center.

Here was a little job i just finished to use on my SBL when i make plumb bobs. Now i can hold the tail of the bob while i work on the body. Its just a #2MT shaft turned with a boss to hold a 608Z ball bearing...Bob

Attachments

• lathe 003.jpg
    lathe 003.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,056
  • lathe 002.jpg
    lathe 002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 872

Back